Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Tequilla Long Thoughts - Hawaii

124»

Comments

• Homebrew_DawgHomebrew_Dawg Member Posts: 1,650

Read it. Too exhausted to offer further comment.

So you jacked off twice while reading it?
    Had the Fappening open on the other screen. HTH.
  • Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754

Had the Fappening open on the other screen. HTH.

I should try this.
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,717 Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

The defense was fine considering they were on the field most of the 2nd half. Roaddawg made a good observation where UW was subbing a lot on defense during that game which helped quite a bit in that regard. It was one of the few examples of good coaching during the game.

Norm Chow helped the most, that 3rd and 10 pass to the flats near the 50 late in the 4th was fucking stupid and probably destroyed any confidence the team had left. Not even going to mention the trick play they tried.

Lindquist had a lot of wide open receivers in the 2nd half he just plain missed. Hoping to see a different offense with Cyler next week (god damnit I'm going to waste another day watching a shitty scrimmage). We win rather easily, say 44-10?

Your post should be nominated for the fucktarded post of the week ...

The defense wasn't fine just in the 2nd half ... the young guys were picked on for the first drive then they basically kicked ass the rest of the game allowing 3 FGs. If you tell me the defense gives up 16 ppg for the season, I'm going to tell you that we'll have a damn good season.

You think that subbing on defense was one of the few signs of good coaching. Let me give you a few other examples of good coaching:

1) Using Coleman on the last drive when he was by far the most effective runner during the game and not punishing him or showing a lack of faith based on his prior fumble

2) Coaching up the young DBs during the game so that they learned and didn't make the same mistakes multiple times

3) Playing a field position game and trusting the strength of your team (defense) to win you the game instead of the offense (something that would have never happened under Seven Win Steve who would have forced the issue with the offense during the game)

4) The execution on the last 2 drives of the game to essentially bleed off 8 minutes of the 4th quarter and give Hawaii no margin for error in their attempt to win the game ... this included putting Lindy in position to make plays that he was capable of making (and keeping those plays in the back pocket until they were really needed)

Now, you criticize Norm Chow for a fucktarded 3rd down pass to the flats at midfield ... you act like he just decided that that was a good play call nominated by John Madden. Instead if you were paying any attention whatsoever, you'd have noticed in the 2nd half in particular that the Hawaii WRs were getting basically ZERO separation whatsoever from our DBs. Moreover, the QB was getting hit on just about every single play. The pass to the flats wasn't designed to get 10 yards ... it was designed to get them into 4th and manageable so that they could go for it. Instead, Peters made a great play (because that's what he does), Hawaii lost yardage, they knew that they had almost zero chance to make a play in that situation, so they decided to punt it, leverage their defense that was playing well, and play the timeout game (which they had 3 left).

And you do realize that they tried 3 trick plays in the first quarter plus of the game? Two of them worked? The third would have worked if he had another half second to get his shoulders squared up to his target.
    This
  • HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    edited September 2014
    <

The defense wasn't fine just in the 2nd half ... the young guys were picked on for the first drive then they basically kicked ass the rest of the game allowing 3 FGs. If you tell me the defense gives up 16 ppg for the season, I'm going to tell you that we'll have a damn good season.

I stopped reading here so maybe you made a better point further down, but its fucking stupid to think that holding Hawaii to 16 points means anyFUCKINGthing about the ppg we will allow over the course of the season.

Not to mention Hawaii will likely be near the bottom of the Div1 teams with play in offensive output

last year they were

114th in rushing
    27th in passing
    43rd in plays run
    74th in total yards
    94th in yards per play
    58th in yards per game

They had over 4 YPC in three games last year, @UNLV, @Navy, vs. Army

they were a shitty offense last year and will likely be a pretty shitty offense again this year

I dont think the defense was the main issue (because there were other more concerning things going on with the offense) but it was fair from good and very far from what I expected from what should be a dominate front 7.

• SteveInSheltonSteveInShelton Member Posts: 1,611
    Tequilla said:

The defense was fine considering they were on the field most of the 2nd half. Roaddawg made a good observation where UW was subbing a lot on defense during that game which helped quite a bit in that regard. It was one of the few examples of good coaching during the game.

Norm Chow helped the most, that 3rd and 10 pass to the flats near the 50 late in the 4th was fucking stupid and probably destroyed any confidence the team had left. Not even going to mention the trick play they tried.

Lindquist had a lot of wide open receivers in the 2nd half he just plain missed. Hoping to see a different offense with Cyler next week (god damnit I'm going to waste another day watching a shitty scrimmage). We win rather easily, say 44-10?

You think that subbing on defense was one of the few signs of good coaching. Let me give you a few other examples of good coaching:

1) Using Coleman on the last drive when he was by far the most effective runner during the game and not punishing him or showing a lack of faith based on his prior fumble

2) Coaching up the young DBs during the game so that they learned and didn't make the same mistakes multiple times

3) Playing a field position game and trusting the strength of your team (defense) to win you the game instead of the offense (something that would have never happened under Seven Win Steve who would have forced the issue with the offense during the game)

4) The execution on the last 2 drives of the game to essentially bleed off 8 minutes of the 4th quarter and give Hawaii no margin for error in their attempt to win the game ... this included putting Lindy in position to make plays that he was capable of making (and keeping those plays in the back pocket until they were really needed)

Now, you criticize Norm Chow for a fucktarded 3rd down pass to the flats at midfield ... you act like he just decided that that was a good play call nominated by John Madden. Instead if you were paying any attention whatsoever, you'd have noticed in the 2nd half in particular that the Hawaii WRs were getting basically ZERO separation whatsoever from our DBs. Moreover, the QB was getting hit on just about every single play. The pass to the flats wasn't designed to get 10 yards ... it was designed to get them into 4th and manageable so that they could go for it. Instead, Peters made a great play (because that's what he does), Hawaii lost yardage, they knew that they had almost zero chance to make a play in that situation, so they decided to punt it, leverage their defense that was playing well, and play the timeout game (which they had 3 left).

And you do realize that they tried 3 trick plays in the first quarter plus of the game? Two of them worked? The third would have worked if he had another half second to get his shoulders squared up to his target.
    Can't really disagree with what you said, but that pass in the flats on 3rd down was FS. At the very least, it shouldn't have gone to Peters side who was balling out all game long.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    Somebody is reading way too much into what I wrote ...

I'm not saying that Hawaii is some offensive power ...

What I am saying is that if the UW defense gives up 16 ppg on average for the season ... or really anything up to 20 points per game ... I'm going to tell you that we're going to have a damn good season.
    edited September 2014
    Tequilla said:

Somebody is reading way too much into what I wrote ...

I'm not saying that Hawaii is some offensive power ...

What I am saying is that if the UW defense gives up 16 ppg on average for the season ... or really anything up to 20 points per game ... I'm going to tell you that we're going to have a damn good season.

cool... I would be happy if UW has a top 5 defense in the county too...

whats your fucking point?

I dont see how talking about UWs defensive performance against Hawaii (allowing 16 points) has anything to do with how many PPG we will allow for the season and the fucking groundbreaking idea that we will have a "damn good season" if we have a top 4 defense in the country this year

The reality is that UW played below what we expected in all three aspects of the game.

Special teams we really pretty poor, ill timed penalties, false starts, illegal formations, bobbled punt. This was really unexpected since we had heard how Petersen had taken to personally coaching this unit.

Offense was anemic; bad OL play, poor WR performance outside of Ross, QB was a dreck fest and RB really looked pedestrian.

Defense wasnt as bad but playing like that during the REAL season will give us an average points allowed per game closer to 25+ and put us somewhere around 50-60th in the country. The corner opposite of Peters really struggled and Feeney looked like the only LB willing to actually meet their fat RB in the hole.

Sven is a fucktard for thinking this game didnt matter or wasnt concerning but for the first time in somewhere around a decade I have hope that the players and team will get better from week to week and that the season isnt fucking over.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited September 2014
    Tequilla said:

jeezus. This is just too much slurping of everything Petersen did. We won by a point against Hawaii, Tequilla. Time for a walk on the beach for some perspective. The defense gave up over 100 yards of rushing in the second half. That might not be terrible based on the number of plays, but it wasn't great either. If we give up 424 yards every game, eventually we will give up a lot more than 16 points. They did a very good job in the red zone, but they didn't kick ass at any point in the game.

Regarding #2) We will see on the DB's. Their QB sucked and missed a few guys. Their WR's dropped some big passes as well. Peters had a pretty good game, but he got beat late in the game on a crucial 3rd and long on a deep comeback route. Petersen addressed it yesterday and called it a nice play by Hawaii.

Norm Chow is an idiot and a horrible head coach. He hasn't even had any success as a coordinator after leaving USC. He's as bad as it gets. In the game thread there were multiple comments about stupid shit he and his staff were doing. Petersen outcoaching him should be an expected. I don't disagree with a lot of things you say and Petersen coached a disciplined game, but ease the fuck up.
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,717 Swaye's Wigwam
    Houhusky said:

I stopped reading here so maybe you made a better point further down, but its fucking stupid to think that holding Hawaii to 16 points means anyFUCKINGthing about the ppg we will allow over the course of the season.

Not to mention Hawaii will likely be near the bottom of the Div1 teams with play in offensive output

last year they were

114th in rushing
    27th in passing
    43rd in plays run
    74th in total yards
    94th in yards per play
    58th in yards per game

they were a shitty offense last year and will likely be a pretty shitty offense again this year

I dont think the defense was the main issue (because there were other more concerning things going on with the offense) but it was fair from good and very far from what I expected from what should be a dominate front 7.

This isn't last year's Hawaii team.

FWIW, Hawaii has a new QB, Iosefa returned from an injury that sidelined him for most of 2013, and they're running a new offense that pushed tempo, utilized the QB's mobility, and relied on Iosefa's power run game (how many runs did you see them pull the weakside guard or lead with a blocker?). I'm not expecting them to be significantly better than they were last year, but they'll be better based on Iosefa's return alone.

We'll find out how they are this year after they play OSU and Colorado later this month.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

Houhusky said:

last year they were

114th in rushing
    27th in passing
    43rd in plays run
    74th in total yards
    94th in yards per play
    58th in yards per game

FWIW, Hawaii has a new QB, Iosefa returned from an injury that sidelined him for most of 2013, and they're running a new offense that pushed tempo, utilized the QB's mobility, and relied on Iosefa's power run game (how many runs did you see them pull the weakside guard or lead with a blocker?). I'm not expecting them to be significantly better than they were last year, but they'll be better based on Iosefa's return alone.

We'll find out how they are this year after they play OSU and Colorado later this month.
    Christ. It's pretty hard to be worse than 1-11, but whether Hawaii wins 3, 4 or 8 games, they suck. It was a shitty game. What the fuck happened to this board's standards? Good football is good football. Bad football is bad football. We all know what both look like. Last Saturday was bad football.

Maybe they suck a little less than expected. Oh, wow they have a good RB (he's never even rushed for more than 590 yards in a season). Every team in the PAC 12 has good players. The teams in our other 3 scrimmages probably have some good players (Eastern certainly has a few). It's no excuse to stink it up.
  • Homebrew_DawgHomebrew_Dawg Member Posts: 1,650
    edited September 2014

Houhusky said:

last year they were

114th in rushing
    27th in passing
    43rd in plays run
    74th in total yards
    94th in yards per play
    58th in yards per game

Christ. It's pretty hard to be worse than 1-11, but whether Hawaii wins 3, 4 or 8 games, they suck. It was a shitty game. What the fuck happened to this board's standards? Good football is good football. Bad football is bad football. We all know what both look like. Last Saturday was bad football.

Maybe they suck a little less than expected. Oh, wow they have a good RB (he's never even rushed for more than 590 yards in a season). Every team in the PAC 12 has good players. The teams in our other 3 scrimmages probably have some good players (Eastern certainly has a few). It's no excuse to stink it up.
    Almighty. It was a shitty game; it was a shitty scrimmage. There was a scoreboard, real officials, and a football field. These were about the only things reminiscent of a football game. The play from both team was shitty. Very shitty. I just hope the shit gets flushed, and soon.
    edited September 2014
    "What I am saying is that if the UW defense gives up 16 ppg on average for the season ... or really anything up to 20 points per game ... I'm going to tell you that we're going to have a damn good season."

so thinking we will have a damn good season or not?