Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Tequilla Long Thoughts - Hawaii

Comments

• chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,949 Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

Agree.

UW's offense last night looked startlingly like the BSU offense in Husky stadium last year...vanilla and completely lacking confidence in its QB. Those of us who were wondering about Lindquist (many were already sure) got our answer.

The alarming things for me were:

Jaydon Mickens still plays like a frightened true freshman. I don't trust him at all on punt returns. He won't cut upfield to take 4-5 yards when it's there if it means hard contact, and I wouldn't trust him to hold onto the ball if he did. His drop on the first series hurt the confidence of the offense a lot.

Washington has become an overrated message board legend. He has some great runs in him but he takes too long to decide. It looks like he's still learning which, well, seems like it shouldn't be the case this far into his career. He killed an important drive by running to the sideline and coming up short when he could have bulldozed a couple of defenders for the 2 yards he needed to gain the marker. That was a huge fuckup that killed a drive where UW had momentum. Coleman is better.

The OL got no push against a fucking horrible defense. Wow. Atoe could often be seen standing around looking perplexed, or picking his 400lb frame up off the turf, at the end of running plays. Running plays! Not pass downs where he might have been fooled by a blitz package. He was perplexed at how he failed to block his guy not by which guy he was supposed to block.

The defense...not a weakness. It isn't great but there were a lot of players rotating in and out and which was good to see. Qualls had some nice plays and looks more disruptive than our other interior DL. The linebackers, aside from Timu, were almost invisible but I don't know what that means.

TL. Don't read.

This.
    Fuck you with Race's 3" of FBA dripping thunder!

I slept on it hoping to avoid making that post. It just had to happen though. All better now.
  • jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,727
    edited August 2014

Tequilla said:

Debate the merits of the game all you want ... but Sark doesn't win THAT game with THOSE variables in place ... I thought the general game management of the game by Petersen when he knew what the cards he was dealt was superb. He focused on finding a way to get out with a win and that was that.

Peterson doesn't deserve any credit for the win. He was a great hire, but he needs to show why. I am most concerned with how flat we were all game. His team wasn't ready to play.
    Yep, that is the crux of it. Being flat was perplexing. They weren't prepared and Peterson saying he was going to try his best to be a half glass full guy knows that it was ugly.

• TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    jecornel said:

Tequilla said:

Debate the merits of the game all you want ... but Sark doesn't win THAT game with THOSE variables in place ... I thought the general game management of the game by Petersen when he knew what the cards he was dealt was superb. He focused on finding a way to get out with a win and that was that.

Peterson doesn't deserve any credit for the win. He was a great hire, but he needs to show why. I am most concerned with how flat we were all game. His team wasn't ready to play.
    Yep, that is the crux of it. Being flat was obvious. They weren't prepared and Peterson saying he was going to try his best to be a half glass full guy knows that it was ugly.

Teams are often flat for preseason scrimmages and water is wet.
  • BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,346
    I *heart* this board after a moral loss.
  • EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,921 Swaye's Wigwam
    TheGlove said:

I *heart* this board after a moral loss.

FO, G.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    Swaye said:

Tequilla restated my post from this morning in a much longer fashion. In case you missed it:

1) Lindy sucks huge balls. He is done.
    2) OL is still suffering trust issues from Cozzetto. Looked like my ass after back to back Messican food.
    3) Ross is legit. I could cover the other WRs. That's bad.
    4) Shelton stuffs people. Where the fuck was Kikikikkahahahahaha?
    5) If Peterman is who we think he is he will clean this shit up quick, fast, and in a hurry.

As shitty as it was, Scoreboard baby! In short, LIFPO.

I like FREE PUBing myself. I am a huge douche. Fuck off.

If you think I'm paying attention to all posts when I'm sitting here relaxing in Hawaii such that that I take all of your points, recycle, regurgle, and repost as my own, then you can go fuck off.

The last first down Coleman picked up was actually really FS. I was yelling as he ran down the sideline, worried a Hawaii defender would push him out. It could have, and should have been a huge blunder. He did step out too and we got lucky. If he stays in bounds, there's very little time left. By going out of bounds, Hawaii would have had 35 seconds to get into field goal position.

It was the Willie Mays Hayes play of the game for sure ...

Coleman showed some nice runs on that last drive and I expect that he'll use that to separate himself from Washington who just never looked like he got going.

This is a good example of a teaching moment for the coaching staff to use about how to make winning plays and how to manage the game.
    TTJ said:

Tequilla said:

...By the middle of the 3rd quarter, you could see that Petersen had made a decision to do whatever he could to protect the defense and asked them to go win the game. If you want a bright spot for the offense in the 2nd half, it was having 2 reasonably good drives with 8 minutes to go...

If Peterman had it all figured out by mid-Q3, why did it take until mid-Q4 to just give the ball to Coleman and Washington? Several of us noted on Friday that the sure way for Lindy to seal his career starting record at 1-0 was to just hand it off and stay out of the way. The Q3 playcalling was horrid, did the deer-in-headlights QB no favors.
    Always good to pop off when the facts don't support your opinion ...

The run/pass mix for the game was 48 runs to 26 passes - no chance in hell Sark would have had a game that was that imbalanced run/pass. He would have forced the pass to get Lindy going, creating at least one turnover in the process, and that would have been the difference in the game.

As for the 3rd quarter, here are the drives:

Drive #1: run, run, pass

Drive #2: run, pass, pass (drive started backed up at the 2, first run got 1 yard as Hawaii stacked the box big time - the pass on 2nd down was the right play call)

Drive #3: pass, pass, run, run

Drive #4: pass, run, pass

Drive #5: run, pass, run

The play calling was balanced ... the whole concept of running the ball and forgetting the passing game wasn't working because the OL was getting ZERO push during the quarter. What finally started turning the game in the 4th was that the OL finally did start getting some movement starting with the 2nd to last drive of the game and then carried it over into running out the clock.
  • EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,921 Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

TTJ said:

Tequilla said:

...By the middle of the 3rd quarter, you could see that Petersen had made a decision to do whatever he could to protect the defense and asked them to go win the game. If you want a bright spot for the offense in the 2nd half, it was having 2 reasonably good drives with 8 minutes to go...

If Peterman had it all figured out by mid-Q3, why did it take until mid-Q4 to just give the ball to Coleman and Washington? Several of us noted on Friday that the sure way for Lindy to seal his career starting record at 1-0 was to just hand it off and stay out of the way. The Q3 playcalling was horrid, did the deer-in-headlights QB no favors.
    The run/pass mix for the game was 48 runs to 26 passes - no chance in hell Sark would have had a game that was that imbalanced run/pass. He would have forced the pass to get Lindy going, creating at least one turnover in the process, and that would have been the difference in the game.

This with a fucking bullet.
  • MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    imagine how confident Hawaii will be when they take on Oregon State now though!!!!
  • FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    I agree the game was rough, but at the end of the day I'm not sure what the expectation was in terms of QB play. We heard all last year how Lindy wasn't ready(or maybe not even good enough) to play D1 football as a starter. Fast forward to the preseason and we have a group think exercise attempting to convince ourselves that our QB's are a whole lot better than they are. Cyler is still a mystery, but at least he had shown a whole lot more promise than anyone else on the roster.

I'm shocked it was a 1 point win, but I wasn't shocked we didn't blow out hawaii. Realistically the close loss could be a blessing. It will refocus players on what is needed to win, the coaches have a lot to reevaluate and push players, and it keeps us from having a QB controversy.

I have seen a lot of people convincing themselves Lindy was going to be a very good option and when it didn't materialize everyone has the sky is falling posts. Kinda comical when people build up someone outside their talent range and then freak out when they actually perform at that level.

• TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,797
    Tequilla said:

TTJ said:

Tequilla said:

Drive #2: run, pass, pass (drive started backed up at the 2, first run got 1 yard as Hawaii stacked the box big time - the pass on 2nd down was the right play call)

The play calling was balanced ... the whole concept of running the ball and forgetting the passing game wasn't working because the OL was getting ZERO push during the quarter. What finally started turning the game in the 4th was that the OL finally did start getting some movement starting with the 2nd to last drive of the game and then carried it over into running out the clock.
    And here's what the play calling should have been:

Drive #1: run, run, run, run, run, run, PAT

Drive #2: run, run, run, punt

Drive #3: run, run, run, run, run, PAT

Drive #4: run, run, run, run, FG

Drive #5: run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, PAT

Drive #6: run, run, run, run, victory formation

I sincerely HTH.
  • H_DH_D Member Posts: 6,098
    edited September 2014
    chuck said:

Washington has become an overrated message board legend. He has some great runs in him but he takes too long to decide. It looks like he's still learning which, well, seems like it shouldn't be the case this far into his career. He killed an important drive by running to the sideline and coming up short when he could have bulldozed a couple of defenders for the 2 yards he needed to gain the marker. That was a huge fuckup that killed a drive where UW had momentum. Coleman is better.

Louise Rankin thinks Washington's running style is just fine.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,949 Swaye's Wigwam
    H_D said:

chuck said:

Louise Rankin thinks Washington's running style is just fine.
    Good comparison. Not exactly the same type of ability but similar issue.
  • TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,826 Swaye's Wigwam
    Too long, read it anyway, agree with most if it, looking for an accelerant and a match.
    TTJ said:

Tequilla said:

TTJ said:

Tequilla said:

And here's what the play calling should have been:

Drive #1: run, run, run, run, run, run, PAT

Drive #2: run, run, run, punt

Drive #3: run, run, run, run, run, PAT

Drive #4: run, run, run, run, FG

Drive #5: run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, PAT

Drive #6: run, run, run, run, victory formation

I sincerely HTH.
    Run game wasn't working with 8 in the box and Hawaii not having a single DB more than 10 yards from the line of scrimmage. They got burned twice on the Ross TDs ... but Lindy couldn't make any kind of big throws, Mickens pretty much played like shit, and Kasen isn't anywhere close to 100%.

I'm worried a bit about the offense ... the defense for the most part was exactly what I thought it was.
  • Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    All I have to say is Dwayne Wawrshington sucks and Lavon Coleman is good. If you can't see that you're JohnnyPatronNansenFS.

Coleman was playing his first game and looked good.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

All I have to say is Dwayne Wawrshington sucks and Lavon Coleman is good. If you can't see that you're JohnnyPatronNansenFS.

Coleman was playing his first game and looked good.

Give it more than a game. Washington looked good in limited action last year. Coleman looked pedestrian until the final drive where he gained 43 yards on 6 carries. His stats were almost identical to Washington's before that. Great sample size on one.