Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Tequilla Long Thoughts - Hawaii

TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
Someone else posted this in another thread, but as I was driving back to Waikiki last night after the game, I thought about what the UW track record is with winning games with their first head coach. Slick lost 2 in a row. Gilby laid an egg. Tyrone got beat by Ground Force. Sark had a moral victory against LSU.

Boobs likes to talk about how the season doesn't start until the Stanford game ... you could argue at times last night that the players felt the same way. However, this is one of the big reasons that I was 100% behind a coaching change this year (before it happened) was because this was a schedule set up to allow for a team to have success while undergoing a bit of a transition.

I know people will look at the yards given up by the defense and complain, but they gave up all those yards on 90+ plays. The first drive Hawaii did a good job of picking on the young secondary and that continued into the second drive. The young secondary then settled down a bit and once it was clear to Hawaii that they weren't going to be able to throw the ball with much success (and lots of credit has to go to the front 7 for this as every time I looked down after a play the Hawaii QB was picking himself up off the ground), they really struggled to move the ball consistently. I know a lot of people were pointing out the success that Hawaii was having running the ball, but they only averaged 4 yards per carry (which isn't really that bad) and definitely didn't break anything that was game changing. The defense did a great job of limiting the damage when they did get in trouble and that was arguably the difference in the game.

In the first half, I think Lindy played reasonably well. The best thing that could be said of him during the game was that he didn't make any critical errors - and listening to Petersen in announcing why Lindy was the choice, taking care of the ball was paramount. In the second half, he had a complete deer in the headlight look going on and had absolutely zero confidence. I had a number of people send me questions about the play calling, it being vanilla, etc. My response back was what would you have liked to have seen? Lindy clearly didn't have anything to give and Petersen fully recognized that.

In many ways, the game resembled a NFL style coach job. Get the lead, play field position, protect what you have. By the middle of the 3rd quarter, you could see that Petersen had made a decision to do whatever he could to protect the defense and asked them to go win the game. If you want a bright spot for the offense in the 2nd half, it was having 2 reasonably good drives with 8 minutes to go to limit what Hawaii could do to get the lead.

The good in the game was the defense, John Ross being electric (need to get him more touches), and the emergence of Lavon Coleman who runs very hard. The bad being that Lindy looked like a backup QB that probably should never start another game at this level and the OL that really struggled at times with penetration. The young DBs got their feet wet and by the second half really started to settle into the game. Kelly will be a good one ... he just missed a couple of pick 6's ... think of Peters when he was a freshman.

If there's one thing that was a bit of a concern it was the lack of emotion out of the team. Not really sure what caused that and I'm prepared to just sit back and see what happens next week in that regard. Hawaii is a very strange place to play and it's not a place that you can really build off of the energy - particularly in the first half. Won't have that kind of environment at home for sure. I thought our guys played a lot better in the 4th quarter when the energy in the building got a little higher.

All in all, a win is a win. Not pretty. Credit to Hawaii for playing hard and they didn't look like a 1 win team to me ... but that being said, we shouldn't be beating them by 1 point. Time to come home, have a good week of practice, and rebound with a nice win at home next week as the team develops into the Stanford game. Adversity is never a bad thing ... particularly when you come out the other end of it with a victory.

Comments

• TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Voted up for FREE PUB!, otherwise would have been flagged for spam.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    Debate the merits of the game all you want ... but Sark doesn't win THAT game with THOSE variables in place ... I thought the general game management of the game by Petersen when he knew what the cards he was dealt was superb. He focused on finding a way to get out with a win and that was that.
    Tequilla said:

Debate the merits of the game all you want ... but Sark doesn't win THAT game with THOSE variables in place ... I thought the general game management of the game by Petersen when he knew what the cards he was dealt was superb. He focused on finding a way to get out with a win and that was that.

So he handled the scrimmage like a veteran coach should?

EVERYBODY PANIC.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    Tequilla said:

Peterson doesn't deserve any credit for the win. He was a great hire, but he needs to show why. I am most concerned with how flat we were all game. His team wasn't ready to play.

Tequilla said:

Peterson doesn't deserve any credit for the win. He was a great hire, but he needs to show why. I am most concerned with how flat we were all game. His team wasn't ready to play.
    Hi there.

I've been telling you why the Huskies were flat for the last six months.

IT. WAS. A. FUCKING. SCRIMMAGE.
    chuck said:

Agree.

UW's offense last night looked startlingly like the BSU offense in Husky stadium last year...vanilla and completely lacking confidence in its QB. Those of us who were wondering about Lindquist (many were already sure) got our answer.

The alarming things for me were:

Jaydon Mickens still plays like a frightened true freshman. I don't trust him at all on punt returns. He won't cut upfield to take 4-5 yards when it's there if it means hard contact, and I wouldn't trust him to hold onto the ball if he did. His drop on the first series hurt the confidence of the offense a lot.

Washington has become an overrated message board legend. He has some great runs in him but he takes too long to decide. It looks like he's still learning which, well, seems like it shouldn't be the case this far into his career. He killed an important drive by running to the sideline and coming up short when he could have bulldozed a couple of defenders for the 2 yards he needed to gain the marker. That was a huge fuckup that killed a drive where UW had momentum. Coleman is better.

The OL got no push against a fucking horrible defense. Wow. Atoe could often be seen standing around looking perplexed, or picking his 400lb frame up off the turf, at the end of running plays. Running plays! Not pass downs where he might have been fooled by a blitz package. He was perplexed at how he failed to block his guy not by which guy he was supposed to block.

The defense...not a weakness. It isn't great but there were a lot of players rotating in and out and which was good to see. Qualls had some nice plays and looks more disruptive than our other interior DL. The linebackers, aside from Timu, were almost invisible but I don't know what that means.

TL. Don't read.

This.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited August 2014
    Washington didn't look good. He looked pretty hesitant. Before the last series, Coleman looked like shit too. 11 for 41 which is very marginally better than what Washington did. Coleman looked pretty slow and lumbering to me. I blame the OL more than any RB. There were very few holes until the end of the game. I'll wait for the preseason to be over before anointing any RB.

The last first down Coleman picked up was actually really FS. I was yelling as he ran down the sideline, worried a Hawaii defender would push him out. It could have, and should have been a huge blunder. He did step out too and we got lucky. If he stays in bounds, there's very little time left. By going out of bounds, Hawaii would have had 35 seconds to get into field goal position.

Washington didn't look good. He looked pretty hesitant. Before the last series, Coleman looked like shit too. He's pretty slow and lumbering. I blame the OL more than any RB. There were very few holes until the end of the game. I'll wait for the preseason to be over before anointing any RB.

The last first down Coleman picked up was actually really FS. I was yelling as he ran down the sideline, worried a Hawaii defender would push him out. It could have, and should have been a huge blunder. He did step out too and we got lucky. If he stays in bounds, there's very little time left. By going out of bounds, Hawaii would have had 35 seconds to get into field goal position.

Coleman should walk home from Sea-Tac for that.

I wonder how Lindquist's swim home is going...
  • EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,921 Swaye's Wigwam

Washington didn't look good. He looked pretty hesitant. Before the last series, Coleman looked like shit too. 11 for 41 which is very marginally better than what Washington did. Coleman looked pretty slow and lumbering to me. I blame the OL more than any RB. There were very few holes until the end of the game. I'll wait for the preseason to be over before anointing any RB.

I thought Coleman showed decent quickness, but maybe it was just in comparison to Washington, who was indecisive as fuck, and Cooper and Callier, who are just worthless. As for the "first down", it almost fucked us, but it's hard to fault a kid for trying to be aggressive and make a play that would end the game. It's hypocritical to bash the team for playing like a bunch of timid pussies and also bash the one kid who actually tried to make something happen.

Hawaii has 4 rturning starters on the offensive line. They played like it but we settled in for the most part on 2nd and 3rd down. Hawaii is going to run the ball on everyone they play.

As les Miles said about us in '09..."that was an 0-12 team?"

You Doogs who are worried about this shit need to listen to puppylove_sexappeal. He has this shit dialed in big time.
  • allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771

Hawaii has 4 rturning starters on the offensive line. They played like it but we settled in for the most part on 2nd and 3rd down. Hawaii is going to run the ball on everyone they play.

As les Miles said about us in '09..."that was an 0-12 team?"

You Doogs who are worried about this shit need to listen to puppylove_sexappeal. He has this shit dialed in big time.
    That is such a sad reality.
  • TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,797
    Tequilla said:

...By the middle of the 3rd quarter, you could see that Petersen had made a decision to do whatever he could to protect the defense and asked them to go win the game. If you want a bright spot for the offense in the 2nd half, it was having 2 reasonably good drives with 8 minutes to go...

If Peterman had it all figured out by mid-Q3, why did it take until mid-Q4 to just give the ball to Coleman and Washington? Several of us noted on Friday that the sure way for Lindy to seal his career starting record at 1-0 was to just hand it off and stay out of the way. The Q3 playcalling was horrid, did the deer-in-headlights QB no favors.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,586 Swaye's Wigwam
    Hawaii was playing like this could be their last season. They may have sucked last year but this needs to be stated.