Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• Options
    46XiJCAB46XiJCAB Member Posts: 20,967
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
  • Options
    Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,979
    5 Up Votes Photogenic First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Government workers are close.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Bob_C said:

Government workers are close.

I should have specified public school teachers.
  • Options
    Blu82Blu82 Member Posts: 1,517
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Public school teachers are the biggest bunch of whiners in our country. Bunch of leftist, entitled whiners that complain and carry on about how abused and disrespected they are.
    Their first solution to problems in public schools is to pay them more.
    I come from a family of them.
  • Options
    KidsInCagesDawgKidsInCagesDawg Member Posts: 332
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Blu82 said:

Public school teachers are the biggest bunch of whiners in our country. Bunch of leftist, entitled whiners that complain and carry on about how abused and disrespected they are.

You ended up in munitions?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited September 2022
    Blu82 said:

Me too. They all think they are so important and elevate their worth in their minds. They live in a weird bubble
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I think we should pay teachers more money. I say that because my friends on Facebook all give me likes. Not really sure why they should get more but I feel good as a person for saying things like this.

And if someone disagrees tell them teachers work 65 hours a week and don't really get summers off because they spend all summer doing lesson plans, going to workshops and getting masters degrees. Also tell them teachers spend all of their money on school supplies.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,602
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    I always chuckle when it's like pay them what they are worth!

Idk babysitters are pretty low paid.

But people who are teachers are generally morons. All millennials have known since the 90s its a bad job and you won't get paid well.

So those who grow up knowing this, become one, then complain about it are retarded
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,895
    edited September 2022

But people who are teachers are generally morons. All millennials have known since the 90s its a bad job and you won't get paid well.

So those who grow up knowing this, become one, then complain about it are retarded

At least were I life the get paid well with good benefits. Starting pay with no experience is snot $55k with about $15-20k in benefits. Many teachers here making close to $150k including benefits
    My two teacher dads (RIP) are rolling over in their graves at the compensation vs. quality of public school brainwashers these days.

Very fortunate to have been educated by a generation of WWII and Korean War vets who actually gave a fuck about their country and getting the most out of their students. And if that included slamming them up against a locker or shaming the fuck out of the idiots, so be it. And I'm not talking about their students. They'd self-police idiot teachers. Teacher unions meant jack shit then. They took care of the misfits.

• Options
    Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,979
    5 Up Votes Photogenic First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Oregon coaching staff.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited September 2022
    Hammer that narrative

• Options
    alumni94alumni94 Member Posts: 4,849
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    People teachers can just get a raise. They are government workers, within a government budget. They are also union workers. They just don’t get more money. If you want to teachers improve, get rid of union and best teachers get more pay. Right now,
    No one cares, because they don’t need to.
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,944
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter

I think we should pay teachers more money. I say that because my friends on Facebook all give me likes. Not really sure why they should get more but I feel good as a person for saying things like this.

Agreed, because actually thinking about important things is just too hard.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,896
    edited September 2022
    Boot poor performance. Schools should be local. Open schools to enrollment no boundaries. The free market will work this shit out in few months. Money follows the child.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

The ones who complain the most are the least likely to quit their horrible underpaid jobs and go do something else. The average teacher is paid just fine. The below average teachers are way overpaid and the above average teachers are underpaid. The fact that Americans vote for democrats that are owned by the teacher unions and won't fire poor performers but would rather have their kids fail to learn reading, writing and arithmetic is just a sign of the high character of our nation.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    thechatch said:

Adjusted for inflation and CoL, we spend exponentially more per student now than when I was in grade school and no one had a problem coming to school with colored pencils, an eraser, some Elmer’s glue, scissors, and a ruler/3 ring binder or pee chee folder in 1985.

What’s changed?

Could it be the explosion in bureaucracy within public schools?

Nah couldn’t be that. Let’s just ask for more money since we can’t budget the riches we already have.

Started with some expensive calculators for grade schoolers so they didn't need to learn their Times tables or how to divide.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,317
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    My wife was a high school English teacher for a decade. Every single one of the whiny excuses dismissed here were the case with her. She was National Board certified, was required to get the equivalent of a masters on the side while doing her day job, brought about 20 hours worth of work home with her per week, and topped out at about $60K (theoretically; she would have made that had she worked full-time, but this was impossible after the kids were born). The upside was getting nine weeks off in breaks every year. In the meantime, Common Core meant that every teacher had to completely revamp their lesson plans every year, so there was no getting into a groove, parents would blame her for their little shits being retards, and the kids became increasingly cruel. I could see the above arguments being valid for, say, a PE teacher or elementary school teacher or sixth grad math or something, but there are plenty of public school teachers that really do bust ass.

I pretty much begged her to quit, as she was only bringing home $500 per month after daycare, and I wasn't able to do shit on the weekends because she was grading papers. I could literally pick up one overtime shift per month and double what she brought in, so it just seemed stupid for her to be occupied seven days per week. My free time multiplied by ten for just $500 per month. It was a no-brainer. After the kids started school, she didn't want to sit around, so now she's running a business that's bringing in nearly what she was making teaching but with far fewer hours, a completely flexible schedule, and she's way happier. Win-win.

At the peak of her earning, I was making three times what she made (with better benefits and six weeks vacation to her nine) while 80% of my job involves napping, watching races or football games, surfing Hardcore Husky, etc. If we want to discuss allergic to work, try spending a day at a refinery surrounded by pussy liberal refinery workers. My biggest challenge every shift these days is getting the console operator to put the Nintendo Switch down for a second to advance permissives so I can turn a valve. It takes me two months to train an operator at a new job because they can only pay attention for a couple of hours per day. I've seen battles that last a whole day over the audacious suggestion that one perform an honest hour of work.