Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Is there a group of people more allergic to work

124»

Comments

• Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 31,042
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    thechatch said:

thechatch said:

What’s a starting salary for a public school teacher k-8? Something like 50 grand? Sheeeit we pay couriers that much.

Pay teachers more and you’ll attract better talent into teaching. Cut out the rotten administrative apparatus that gobbles up all of the funding.

I don’t buy for a minute that teachers are going into their own pockets for school supplies in any sort of mass scale, but if you’re going to require a masters equivalent then they shouldn’t make less than an Uber driver.

It’ll never happen which is why unless you’re in a good district you need to pull your kids from public schools. We’re fortunate in that regard. Most of our teachers have been fine. They’re all leftist virtue-signalling millennials but the ones I’ve talked to actually want to go in and teach core curriculum, and are opposed to VL their way through a bunch of bullshit. The latter is typically pushed at the activist level, which is not rank and file teachers, in my experience.

Go to a PTA meeting and you’ll easily see where this shit manifests and festers.

Paying more won’t get better teachers unless the union goes away and people are measured and compensated according to results.

What’s wrong with starting right out of college at $55k and Cadillac benefits with summers off, spring break, Christmas off and all holidays. It’s a fucking part time job.
    I’m 100% in favor of neutering the teachers Union and defunding the administrative glut in education. Use the money to hire real talent back from private schools and evaluate teachers on performance-based metrics.

If 60% of your incoming students read at your grade level and 75% hit that mark at the end of the year, you get comped for that improvement.

The ONLY thing preventing incentive-based educating is the Union. That’s it. Unions exist now almost wholly to protect shitty employees.

Shitty nurses
    Shitty cops
    Shitty teachers
    Shitty administrators

It’s all the same.
    Cop unions at least in my experience aren't worth a shit. They negotiate contracts discipline is handled by civil service commissions and the unions, we called them an association, were useless otherwise. Officers are not allowed to speak out really but the association board can't be punished for doing so. In Kali the cities can impose contracts and have done so. If the citizens don't push the issues little change occurs.
  • Options
    alumni94alumni94 Member Posts: 4,849
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Sledog said:

Boot poor performance. Schools should be local. Open schools to enrollment no boundaries. The free market will work this shit out in few months. Money follows the child.

They are Union, this can’t happen, although it should.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,311
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I think we should pay teachers more money. I say that because my friends on Facebook all give me likes. Not really sure why they should get more but I feel good as a person for saying things like this.

I think we should pay teachers more money so all the loser leftists wouldn't make the cut anymore.
    Lulz. You know better than most it doesn't work that way with union labor.
    Who said anything about public schools or unions?
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,582
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    thechatch said:

haie said:

A teacher with a masters. How much better are they with it? Do they have more skills than an Uber driver?

0 virtue signaling lib millennials will be teaching my kids.

You have a 2 month old. It will be a Gen Zer with green hair and a female dick teaching your kids.
    Nope.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,728
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    TXDawgTXDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 818
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Founders Club
    edited September 2022
    If they'd dissolve the teacher's union and got rid of de-facto tenure, I'd be all for raising teacher's wages. The reality is it won't matter. More often than not, the teachers are shit. Kids today are complete shit. Although I don't blame these little retarded bastards, as a society we've completely abandoned parenting.
  • Options
    thechatchthechatch Member Posts: 5,600
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    haie said:

thechatch said:

haie said:

A teacher with a masters. How much better are they with it? Do they have more skills than an Uber driver?

You have a 2 month old. It will be a Gen Zer with green hair and a female dick teaching your kids.
    Nope.
    I’m not sure you’ll have too many options in Methcouver to pick your teacher, irrespective of whether or not you go private.

We looked at Forest Ridge, Holy Names, and Sacred Heart for our kids. They mostly end up at ESC or Bellevue High, so I’m not sure of the value add in PS for anything short of HS.

The key is involved parenting. Show up to curriculum night. Forge and keep an ongoing dialog with your kids teachers. I attended both private and public growing up and had shitty teachers and great teachers in both settings.

If your kids play sports or are involved in other worthwhile ECs, they’re probably going to be ok. If they don’t and you’re not involved in what’s going on with them, they’re more likely to stray away. It’s pretty simple.

But public school issues aren’t going away until the tumor is removed, especially in lower and working class communities. It’s there that the cancer of administrative glut feasts.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 31,042
    Kali when I went to school only had a few teacher supervisors. The principal and vice principal. Now they have one supervisor for every three teachers. That's a teacher that isn't teaching. Yet we wonder why the cost of schools have skyrocketed.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited September 2022
    thechatch said:

haie said:

thechatch said:

haie said:

Nope.
    I’m not sure you’ll have too many options in Methcouver to pick your teacher, irrespective of whether or not you go private.

We looked at Forest Ridge, Holy Names, and Sacred Heart for our kids. They mostly end up at ESC or Bellevue High, so I’m not sure of the value add in PS for anything short of HS.

The key is involved parenting. Show up to curriculum night. Forge and keep an ongoing dialog with your kids teachers. I attended both private and public growing up and had shitty teachers and great teachers in both settings.

If your kids play sports or are involved in other worthwhile ECs, they’re probably going to be ok. If they don’t and you’re not involved in what’s going on with them, they’re more likely to stray away. It’s pretty simple.

But public school issues aren’t going away until the tumor is removed, especially in lower and working class communities. It’s there that the cancer of administrative glut feasts.
    I'll have myself, retired as an option if I have to. Computer science, math, research, reading, writing. Communication, soft skills.

Pepsi challenge my shit against public school dreck any day of the fucking week bra. No King Kounty Kucks are teaching my kids.
  • Options
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    thechatch said:

lol

White flag salesman waves his white flag.
  • Options
    I’m sure you’ll be a great teacher, haie. Good luck👍
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,898
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    In 2019 I thought home school was bad for social skills. At this point, it beats having the 26 year old SJW with a nose ring indoctrinate kids about how men can be pregnant too.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    TXDawg said:

If they'd dissolve the teacher's union and got rid of de-facto tenure, I'd be all for raising teacher's wages. The reality is it won't matter. More often than not, the teachers are shit. Kids today are complete shit. Although I don't blame these little retarded bastards, as a society we've completely abandoned parenting.

They make what they are worth now. Maybe slightly more. If teachers were measured on results and results were good, then they should be paid accordingly. Based on individual performance.

The old canard “they actually don’t get time off because they have to take college courses and spend hours at night on weekends grading papers and lesson planning” gets repeated over and over to the point that it’s accepted fact. Lesson plans come from the state. And have you see the bell schedule. Teachers have a daily planing period and most districts now have half a day 1 day a week. That should be plenty. If you’re on any social media with teachers you’d know 1)they aren’t poor and 2) they have lots of time off and aren’t slaving away into the wee hours and al summer.

If you’re a golfer check the tee sheets. Apparently a lot of teachers in my town took classes and did lesson plan On the course. Also seem to love a 2:30 tee time in the fall.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited September 2022

Part the reason is this requiring a master's bullshit. Get rid of that nonsense. That's completely absurd. You'd be insane to do it from a cost benefit perspective

Except they don't require a masters in most states. Not in Washington. This is another example of things that get repeated and are now just accepted to be fact. My sister is a 25+ Year teacher. No masters. No progress to a masters. Fucks around all summer. They get paid more if they have one. But not required. And even if they did, Jfc. Knock it out in 2 years like all the other working professionals who gets masters.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,898
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Part the reason is this requiring a master's bullshit. Get rid of that nonsense. That's completely absurd. You'd be insane to do it from a cost benefit perspective

Except they don't require a masters in most states. Not in Washington. This is another example of things that get repeated and are now just accepted to be fact. My sister is a 25+ Year teacher. No masters. No progress to a masters. Fucks around all summer. They get paid more if they have one. But not required. And even if they did, Jfc. Knock it out in 2 years like all the other working professionals who gets masters.
    They used to require it, but maybe it was eliminated because of the shortage.