Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Where are they now? 2021 UW Coaching Staff Edition

WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,288 Swaye's Wigwam
Boner Soda and his lawn skeletons came across my memory of thinking of how the unbelievable staff of 2021 ended up this year, showing just how bad things were.

HC: Jimmy Pond/Kiddie Pool - Whereabouts unknown. Collecting $3 million unemployment
OC: JohnDon - Senior Analyst Green Bay Packers
DC: Boob Gregory - Analyst Oregon
RB: Boner Soda - RB Boise State (they should just make him that forever)
WR: Junior Adams - WR Oregon (Good Riddance: Time of Your Life)
TE Derham Cato - Account Executive, some company called Carta (I kid you not - wonder if they know he got hat on table with Brock Bowers and sealed Jack Yary?)
OL: Scott Huff - OL UW (Why God? Why?)
DL Rip Rowan - DL Georgia Southern
LB Ikaika Malloe - LB UCLA
DB Will Harris - DB Georgia Southern
DB Terrance Brown - DB Cal
Strength Tim Socha - Old Dominion despite being told by so many people he was great

Comments

• theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,806 Founders Club

Boner Soda and his lawn skeletons came across my memory of thinking of how the unbelievable staff of 2021 ended up this year, showing just how bad things were.

HC: Jimmy Pond/Kiddie Pool - Whereabouts unknown. Collecting $3 million unemployment
    OC: JohnDon - Senior Analyst Green Bay Packers
    DC: Boob Gregory - Analyst Oregon
    RB: Boner Soda - RB Boise State (they should just make him that forever)
    WR: Junior Adams - WR Oregon (Good Riddance: Time of Your Life)
    TE Derham Cato - Account Executive, some company called Carta (I kid you not - wonder if they know he got hat on table with Brock Bowers and sealed Jack Yary?)
    OL: Scott Huff - OL UW (Why God? Why?)
    DL Rip Rowan - DL Georgia Southern
    LB Ikaika Malloe - LB UCLA
    DB Will Harris - DB Georgia Southern
    DB Terrance Brown - DB Cal
    Strength Tim Socha - Old Dominion despite being told by so many people he was great

As Jimmy kept putting the staff together and then replacing guys that left I was always wondering if he just didn’t know anyone due to limited coaching stops, couldn’t sell himself or just enjoyed promoting GAs because they were beholden to him and wouldn’t/couldn’t question his genius. I generally leaned toward control and the fact less experienced voices in the room tended to be quiet as he tried to show the world how smart he was. I know Boner is shitty until he isn’t but listening to his media appearances as compared to Jimmy is night and day. Could you imagine Lake letting Bob and JonDong have a few minutes with the media to discuss their ideas before he stepped up to let out his hot air? No way. It’s a breath of fresh air to say the least.

TLDR- So far KDB>Lake
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,713 Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

Socha was good until Petersen left and horrific after. I'm not sure what that means.

It's weird to have a total staff turnover, or nearly so, and not have the slightest bit of regret except for the one who was retained. It's quite an accomplishment to have an entire staff full of culls.

Rumor is that Lake told Socha to let the players determine their own fitness level. If Socha okayed this, then he's as much at fault as Lake.
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,043 Standard Supporter
    chuck said:

Socha was good until Petersen left and horrific after. I'm not sure what that means.

It's weird to have a total staff turnover, or nearly so, and not have the slightest bit of regret except for the one who was retained. It's quite an accomplishment to have an entire staff full of culls.

People need to be managed. He was great with one. Awful with someone that had a horrible plan.
  • LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,788

chuck said:

People need to be managed. He was great with one. Awful with someone that had a horrible plan.
    Jen Cohen once asked for Jimmy’s plan for offense. His answer was Johnny Donovan. His press conference was 6 months later. Amazing management.
  • biak1biak1 Member Posts: 4,091
    Mike Vorel, please to be writing a story about the abject failure of Jen Cohen vis a vis Jimmy Lake.
  • godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,451 Founders Club
    Of the 11 coaches plus Socha, 2 made a lateral move (Adams, Malloe), one is on the fence (Brown) and Huff was kept on staff for reasons I don't understand.

The rest took a step back or are out of football rip Cato

Not enough interest on National Level of course, but there is a 30 for 30 on how it went so bad so quickly for JL
  • godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,451 Founders Club
    Can you imagine how happy Pete K was to get out of here after seeing the trainwreck of 2020 (which was probably more off field than on, as it was only 4 games)

Him looking for another job had to be the most well known open secret in the sport.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,660 Founders Club
    godawgst said:

Can you imagine how happy Pete K was to get out of here after seeing the trainwreck of 2020 (which was probably more off field than on, as it was only 4 games)

Him looking for another job had to be the most well known open secret in the sport.

And he sucked at Texas

NOC
  • picalogestabopicalogestabo Member Posts: 651
    Cato is an Ivy League grad who now does wealth management. Not sure saying he is outta coaching means what you think it means.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,560 Founders Club
    I only knew about three of those guys.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,527 Founders Club
    godawgst said:

Of the 11 coaches plus Socha, 2 made a lateral move (Adams, Malloe), one is on the fence (Brown) and Huff was kept on staff for reasons I don't understand.

Not enough interest on National Level of course, but there is a 30 for 30 on how it went so bad so quickly for JL

HUSKY FOOTBALL IN THE JIMMY LAKE ERA

BY Derek Johnson
    43 pages

• DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,527 Founders Club

godawgst said:

BY Derek Johnson
    43 pages

What's in pages 2-42?
    There are 18 pages of frame-by-frame photos of the Ruperake sideline incident
  • FireTheJanitorFireTheJanitor Member Posts: 1,483

Cato is an Ivy League grad who now does wealth management. Not sure saying he is outta coaching means what you think it means.

Lol it means exactly what it looks like. He was dogshit at coaching and had to go to Plan B. Wealth Management sounds a whole lot sexier than it is, it is the bottom rung of financial services careers (my opinion). Can you make a lot of money in wealth management? Sure. Do they on the whole make as much as corporate finance, private equity, fund managers, traders, M&A, insurance brokers, etc? Nope. He made $225k at UW. With no experience, he isn’t making anywhere near that to manage peoples money for the next X amount fo years (unless he’s from some blue blood family I am unaware of). Long story short, he sucks and had no business ever being a coach at UW.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,660 Founders Club

godawgst said:

BY Derek Johnson
    43 pages

What's in pages 2-42?
    There are 18 pages of frame-by-frame photos of the Ruperake sideline incident

• whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,616 Standard Supporter
    Socha went to Old Dominion? Their lines did a lot of pushing around VaTech last night
  • picalogestabopicalogestabo Member Posts: 651

Lol it means exactly what it looks like. He was dogshit at coaching and had to go to Plan B. Wealth Management sounds a whole lot sexier than it is, it is the bottom rung of financial services careers (my opinion). Can you make a lot of money in wealth management? Sure. Do they on the whole make as much as corporate finance, private equity, fund managers, traders, M&A, insurance brokers, etc? Nope. He made $225k at UW. With no experience, he isn’t making anywhere near that to manage peoples money for the next X amount fo years (unless he’s from some blue blood family I am unaware of). Long story short, he sucks and had no business ever being a coach at UW.
    If you compare Cato to the other previous staff members who ended up at places like Georgia Southern (Rip Rowan currently makes 85k a year) it makes sense that he left coaching. ALTBSCS