Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Brandon Kaho Commemorative Collegiate Career Impact Forecast - 2019 Results

124»

Comments

• theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,556
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Woof said:

My dot on the board seems to be just like me. 5’10”, white and slow strategy as fuck.
  • dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,704
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Woof said:

Houhusky said:

Hmm, and I thought I was overly optimistic/generous.

The scores seem a tad skewed, there are going to be a few players that flame out or never contribute but no one really wants to give a 1 or 2.

Seems like most people graded most of the recruits on a 3-5 scale?

Giving the class an average predictive grade of 3.7+ doesn't seem realistic.

Most players are going to end up like a Jaylen Johnson or Tevis "3"... More will flame out as 1s or 2s than achieve All-American MMFG 5s.

@Woof How does the percentage distribution of 1-5 grades compare to the Jesse Callier grades given out historically? Also how have the average Jesse Callier grades changed over time?

Thanks, leave it on my desk, Ill be back after lunch.

Ok, my report is mostly finished, and here it is:

I'll start off with the Jesse Callier grades by class. Caveat here is that Coker did some of this, but his 2014 Jesse Callier data has disappeared into the ether, so I wasn't able to double check his math. Also, there were a few guys who fell through the cracks in various years, and thus never received a grade. I gave almost all of them 1s, except Damorea Stringfellow who I have a 2. I could barely remember a few of them.

Mostly Sark era:
    2009 recruiting class: Jesse Callier ranking (JC) - 1.32 & star ranking - 2.58 for a -1.26 differential
    2010 recruiting class: JC - 1.82 & star ranking - 3.13 for a -1.31 differential
    2011 recruiting class: JC - 2.01 & star ranking - 3.13 for a -1.12 differential

Sark recruits with Petersen development:
    2012 recruiting class: JC - 1.53 & star ranking - 2.90 for a -1.37 differential - for a 4th year class, this was an utter shit pile
    2013 recruiting class: JC - 2.59 & star ranking - 3.29 for a -0.69 differential - jump in average coincides with UW winning the PAC

Pure Pete era:
    2014 recruiting class: JC - 2.66 & star ranking - 3.04 for a -0.38 differential
    2015 recruiting class: JC - 2.39 & star ranking - 3.15 for a -0.76 differential - this class is only about half complete, and will likely increase a bit (except for the Kyler Manu score)

The breaking point here is the 2013 class, which actually had some talent, and Pete was able to start winning with. It depends on where you segment the data but it seems like Petersen's development is worth about 0.5 to 0.75 of a star on the Jesse Callier rankings vs. Sark. That said, the Jesse Callier scores still lag the actual star rankings, and it would imply that our average star ranking of 3.65 for the 2019 class will turn out to average around a 3 when we do this exercise in 2023.

When it comes to distribution of scores by year, I didn't think the data was very interesting. Scores got higher for the 2013 recruiting class, which coincided with a bunch of guys that ended their careers in the Sugar Bowl instead of the wherever the fuck bowl we were the year before (Heart of Dallas I think?). I'm not going to go through the data, but needless to say, the 2nd highest score on the 2016 JCCCPCIRI (primarily 2012 recruiting class) was a 3.36 (Josh Perkins who beat out Littleton by 0.06), but that score would have rated just 10th in the 2019 version.

Regarding the scores of individual poasters:

Two key points here. First, @Samoyed is by far the biggest doog of all. Secondly, @NorwegianHusky and @dirtysouwfdawg might be twins separated at birth.
    I’m Portuguese and he’s a dirty Norwegian so not likely... well, one of my dads is Norwegian so maybe half bros.

FREE PUB BITCHEES
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,428
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Woof said:

This graph tells me I have a more favorable opinion about players after they play than before they play.
  • EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,439
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Woof said:

Houhusky said:

The scores seem a tad skewed, there are going to be a few players that flame out or never contribute but no one really wants to give a 1 or 2.

Most players are going to end up like a Jaylen Johnson or Tevis "3"... More will flame out as 1s or 2s than achieve All-American MMFG 5s.

@Woof How does the percentage distribution of 1-5 grades compare to the Jesse Callier grades given out historically? Also how have the average Jesse Callier grades changed over time?

I'll start off with the Jesse Callier grades by class. Caveat here is that Coker did some of this, but his 2014 Jesse Callier data has disappeared into the ether, so I wasn't able to double check his math. Also, there were a few guys who fell through the cracks in various years, and thus never received a grade. I gave almost all of them 1s, except Damorea Stringfellow who I have a 2. I could barely remember a few of them.

Mostly Sark era:
    2009 recruiting class: Jesse Callier ranking (JC) - 1.32 & star ranking - 2.58 for a -1.26 differential

2012 recruiting class: JC - 1.53 & star ranking - 2.90 for a -1.37 differential - for a 4th year class, this was an utter shit pile
    2013 recruiting class: JC - 2.59 & star ranking - 3.29 for a -0.69 differential - jump in average coincides with UW winning the PAC

Pure Pete era:
    2015 recruiting class: JC - 2.39 & star ranking - 3.15 for a -0.76 differential - this class is only about half complete, and will likely increase a bit (except for the Kyler Manu score)

The breaking point here is the 2013 class, which actually had some talent, and Pete was able to start winning with. It depends on where you segment the data but it seems like Petersen's development is worth about 0.5 to 0.75 of a star on the Jesse Callier rankings vs. Sark. That said, the Jesse Callier scores still lag the actual star rankings, and it would imply that our average star ranking of 3.65 for the 2019 class will turn out to average around a 3 when we do this exercise in 2023.

When it comes to distribution of scores by year, I didn't think the data was very interesting. Scores got higher for the 2013 recruiting class, which coincided with a bunch of guys that ended their careers in the Sugar Bowl instead of the wherever the fuck bowl we were the year before (Heart of Dallas I think?). I'm not going to go through the data, but needless to say, the 2nd highest score on the 2016 JCCCPCIRI (primarily 2012 recruiting class) was a 3.36 (Josh Perkins who beat out Littleton by 0.06), but that score would have rated just 10th in the 2019 version.

Two key points here. First, @Samoyed is by far the biggest doog of all. Secondly, @NorwegianHusky and @dirtysouwfdawg might be twins separated at birth.
    I’m closest to the middle. What do I win?
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,587
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Houhusky said:

chuck said:

Houhusky said:

How do you predict which ones are going to underperform? Did you arbitrarily pick some guys as flameouts/disappointments so your average would stay at what you deemed to be a realistic level?

Nothing wrong with rating guys lower than the services and most everyone else if it's based in your own evals.
    Your class averaged out at 3.9?

There are people that probably gave out 7-8 5s, in one class... 7-8 All americans on defense, from one class? Is that a reasonable prediction?

To get a 3.9 average, what percentage of the class did you have to predict would at least be a multiyear above average starters with All-Pac12 honors as 4+? 60% of the class?
    You make some points. I don't actually remember my picks either for the most part. I didn't really feel solid in projecting them like this, but I took a bit of a different approach. Rather than worrying about the obvious fact that some guys don't work out for reasons we can't possibly forsee or predict, I tried to objectively focus on individuals and rate how good I think they'll be based on highlight films and what my experience as an amateur tbser told me. I rated some above their TBS rating (Fataunu, McDuffie, Pa'ama, Tuitele) and some below (Buelow, Kalepo and others). I don't see anyone I can go as low as a 2*, meaning they just suck, or a 1*, meaning they never contribute anything and leave early. Not based on the limited info I have (film). There will be some, but I couldn't find any supportable reason to say which ones.

So, it sounds like your concern was to prevent your average rating from being unrealistically high. I didn't worry about the class average and focused on individual assessments which seemed the point of the exercise.

The other obvious difference is that I apparently like the players in the class better than you and especially some of the others. The really low ratings make no sense to me at all though. There aren't any weak looking prospects in the class. They don't all look like eventual superstars, but there isn't a single guy who screams "bust" to me.
  • Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,075
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Woof said:

Houhusky said:

Mostly Sark era:

Pure Pete era:

I’m closest to the middle. What do I win?
    It looks close but I'm not certain about that.
  • WoofWoof Member Posts: 769
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Woof said:

Given the dooging that occurred in the BKCCCIF numbers, it came as no surprise to me that 86% of you believe Sav'ell Smalls will sign with UW next year.

We are so fucked
    Bump!
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Based on last year's results I'm going to guess Gerbers shocks Mason West and Cooper McDonald and steals the coveted lowest ranked player in the class.
    Woof said:

dnc said:

Based on last year's results I'm going to guess Gerbers shocks Mason West and Cooper McDonald and steals the coveted lowest ranked player in the class.

Nobody is beating Jaden Green for that honor.
    Triston Brown says hello

dnc said:

Woof said:

dnc said:

Nobody is beating Jaden Green for that honor.
    Triston Brown says hello
    Are we sure Brown will be able to handle those 41mph snaps coming at him?!
    Brownsocks lives!
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Garbers won’t be the lowest rated player in this class
  • theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,556
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

I like Garbers.

Tequilla said:

I like Garbers.
    Me too.

I also like Morris.
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,428
    Where are they now?

TL;DR: we had 1 first-round NFL pick (McDuffie), 5 probable starters (Luciano, Trice, Kalepo, Turner, Fautanu), 10 back-ups, and 6 that have transferred/retired.

#22) Dylan Morris started 2020 and 2021. QBR of 136 in 2020, dropped to 123.6 in 2021. Sacked once in 2020, sacked 21 times in 2021. Fighting with Huard for QB2 behind Penix in 2022.

#21) Corey Luciano TE JUCO transfer is our starting Center for 2022.

#20) Bralen Trice Projected to be better than Joe Tryon. Also projected to start alongside ZTF at DE in 2022.

#17 (Tie) Taj Davis, Tim Horn, and Miki Ah You, Davis had 329 yards on 26 receptions with 1 TD in 2021. Probably will see similar numbers coming off the bench in 2022. Tim Horn portaled in 2021. Ah You left in 2021.

#16) Nathaniel Kalepo Played in 11 games in 2021, but in line to start at OG in 2022.

#14 (Tie) Noa Ngalu and Alphonzo Tuputala Ngalu portaled in 2022. Tuputala played in 5 games in 2021, probably on 3rd string with Heimuli.

#13) Cameron Williams Started 7 games in 2019, 0 games in 2020, and 3 games in 2021. Probably 2nd string S behind Cook and Turner.

#12) Kamren Fabiculanan Played in 8 games in 2021. Competing for starting HUSKY with Dom Hampton.

#11) Julius Buelow Played in 10 games, starting 5 in 2021. Will prob be 2nd team OL.

#10) Cameron Davis Rushed for 308 yards on 85 carries with 2 TDs in 2021. Will probably see a decent role once the coaches understand who and what they got through the portal.

#9) Josh Calvert Transferred from UW to Utah in 2021.

#8) Asa Turner Played in 10 games, starting 4. Projected to be starting S in 2022.

#7) Troy Fautanu Played in 9 games, starting 3. Would be starting LT if not for Kirkland getting a 6th year. Might start at another OL position.

#6) Jacob Bandes Played in every game in 2021, starting 1. Will continue to rotate in as either 2nd or 3rd team packages.

#5) Trent McDuffies 21st pick in the 2022 NFL draft. 3 year starter, he will be missed.

#3 (Tie) Sama Pa'ama and Daniel Heimuli Sama Pa'ama retired from football in 2020. Heimuli played in 9 games in 2021, starting 2. Prob 3rd string going into 2022, behind Bright, Moll, Eddie, and Bruener.

#2) Laiatu Latu Latu retired from football in 2021 since he wasn't medically cleared to play by UW doctors. Transferred to UCLA and got cleared by their doctors. Will probably start for UCLA.

#1) Faatui Tuitele Played in 9 games in 2021, starting 4. Missed 3 due to injury. Was injured this spring. Might back-up Letuligasenoa and Peihopa but certainly see plenty of playing time at DT.