Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Give me the arguments for opposing raising the age to 21 to buy a gun

SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Standard Supporter
I'm having a hard time opposing this. I'd also like to see the age to vote raised to 21 as well. Why am I wrong?

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,167
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    RoadTrip said:

You're not. Today's 18 year old is yesterday's 13 year old

Pretty much

Mom should still be able to go hunting with her teen daughter though

I'm progressive like that
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

RoadTrip said:

You're not. Today's 18 year old is yesterday's 13 year old

Pretty much

Mom should still be able to go hunting with her teen daughter though

I'm progressive like that
    I'm sure there is an advertisement that depicts that very thing.
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,839
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    Ditto. I'd make an exception if you are active duty and at least 18. Just getting a start on Starship Troopers.
    SFGbob said:

I'm having a hard time opposing this. I'd also like to see the age to vote raised to 21 as well. Why am I wrong?

• Options
    46XiJCAB46XiJCAB Member Posts: 20,967
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    SFGbob said:

The age BS is the shiny object that moves them a step closer to eventual confiscation. It will be applied govt economic hardship until the endgame of ending gun ownership is reached. It’s always incremental with the left.

• Options
    Standard Supporter
    46XiJCAB said:

SFGbob said:

The age BS is the shiny object that moves them a step closer to eventual confiscation. It will be applied govt economic hardship until the endgame of ending gun ownership is reached. It’s always incremental with the left.

I can't go there. I feel like I'm then staking out the very same position as the abortion supporters who won't oppose late term abortion for the same reasons.
  • Options
    46XiJCAB46XiJCAB Member Posts: 20,967
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    SFGbob said:

46XiJCAB said:

SFGbob said:

I can't go there. I feel like I'm then staking out the very same position as the abortion supporters who won't oppose late term abortion for the same reasons.
    I don’t trust DIMS. Remember when just accepting LGBTQ was enough? They attack the 2A on a regular basis. This isn’t like abortion. Where’s the unified front by GOP members to ban abortion ?
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    That's why I would connect it to raising the voting age to 21. Don't get something for nothing.
    SFGbob said:

46XiJCAB said:

SFGbob said:

• Options
    AlexisAlexis Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,993
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I don't really have a problem with that either. I get the argument that they won't stop there, and obviously they won't, but if dems were smart, that would be proposed, stand alone. Any Rep that disagreed would be pounded. But of course, they'll add a bunch of other stuff in and it'll be fucked up like everything they do. And yes, it's stupid to me that you can have spent a year in Afghanistan or some other shit hole and then come home and not be able to buy a weapon, but I also think it's stupid that you also couldn't buy a beer. So let's make 21 the age for all, including voting, abortions, alcohol. I'm cool with that. Because like was said earlier, 18 years old now is like 12 or 13 back in the day.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Yeah, I started mowing the lawn at age 9 and no one thought anything about it. I started my son mowing the lawn at age 9 and people would literally stop their car and look like they were thinking about calling CSD. At age 12 I was doing field work, strawberries, beans and cucumbers with my 10 year old brother. Who made the lunches? Definitely not my Mom. My 12 year old cousin in Minnesota was driving the grain truck alongside the combine and then driving it into town to drop off the wheat at the grain co-op. Our neighbor, a divorcee would be out mowing her lawn on Saturday morning while her teenagers were sleeping in. That's how soft we have gotten and while their are exceptions, the average US white male is pretty much worthless. Snowflakes is actually understating the problem.
    Alexis said:

I don't really have a problem with that either. I get the argument that they won't stop there, and obviously they won't, but if dems were smart, that would be proposed, stand alone. Any Rep that disagreed would be pounded. But of course, they'll add a bunch of other stuff in and it'll be fucked up like everything they do. And yes, it's stupid to me that you can have spent a year in Afghanistan or some other shit hole and then come home and not be able to buy a weapon, but I also think it's stupid that you also couldn't buy a beer. So let's make 21 the age for all, including voting, abortions, alcohol. I'm cool with that. Because like was said earlier, 18 years old now is like 12 or 13 back in the day.

• Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    "Shall not be infringed"

HTH
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,752
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

How about stop raising weak incapable children

Gun safety training officially started this week with my 4yo

Imagine living through the last 3 years and thinking we need less self defense

Winner.

Will they commensurately raise the age for enlisting in armed services? So many rabbit holes there ...

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    pawz said:

Winner.

Will they commensurately raise the age for enlisting in armed services? So many rabbit holes there ...

The "gun safety training" talk is hilarious. I'm
    Sure if the Uvalde guy just had the proper safety training we would have avoided that one
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    pawz said:

Winner.

No. Because they need guys who will do things that others with fully developed brains won't
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Because mental health issues go away when you are 21. Duh.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,167
    Swaye's Wigwam

"Shall not be infringed"

HTH

Now find someone who was at the constitutional convention
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    USMChawk said:

pawz said:

Winner.

Have an exception for military personnel. 21 if you’re a civilian, 18 if you’re in the military. If you happen to become a veteran, and are still under 21, you have to have an Honorable discharge. No loopholes for a POS who gets drummed out.

Apply this to the drinking age and voter age as well. I’d even concede this to the members of the Peace Corps since that too is federal service.
    See common ground. Hell maybe I am a moderate.