Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

DeBoer HC/Tedford OC

Comments

• Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,819
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

So his staff will include a 60-year-old coach with health problems who won't recruit. And I'm sure he will be given a salary of 800k-1 million. Ugh

We don’t need the OC to be our best recruiter. Pump up Aaron Rodgers to these kids. I’m not worried about DeBoer or Tedford being able to recruit quality QB’s.
    he made haener way fucking better than we did
    Easier to be good when you play San Jose State, Wyoming, and Utah State most weeks
  • Options
    FSDogs1FSDogs1 Member Posts: 33
    5 Up Votes Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment

haie said:

Our fanbase is so mentally fucked from watching a staff that refused to recruit.

Wake the fuck up. Bone isn't going to tell everyone he wants to just develop walk-ons. Fuck off with this shit.

His skill guys at Fresno would be right near the top of the PAC 12. If he can compete with Oregon and UCLA at Fresno, he can at UW. I’m sure he’s aware that he needs to recruit.
    Correct. But those players committed to play for Tedford...
  • Options
    OneNippleOneNipple Member Posts: 179
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

So his staff will include a 60-year-old coach with health problems who won't recruit. And I'm sure he will be given a salary of 800k-1 million. Ugh

We don’t need the OC to be our best recruiter. Pump up Aaron Rodgers to these kids. I’m not worried about DeBoer or Tedford being able to recruit quality QB’s.
    Easier to be good when you play San Jose State, Wyoming, and Utah State most weeks

How about when you play Montana?
  • Options
    fouchpotatofouchpotato Member Posts: 53
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    I'm guessing the next coach will suck regardless of who it is, 4 of the last 5 have so why assume otherwise. That being said, shitting on tedford seems stupid, so does the idea that Deboner doesn't understand the importance of recruiting.
  • Options
    sonics1993sonics1993 Member Posts: 1,460
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    DoogDawg said:

@sonics1993 I don’t know even the ins and outs of the program like you do. It’s not even close. I know next to nothing about anything inside the program. I am fully aware how important recruiting is, but it’s not the end all be all like you believe.

Totally agree it's not everything, but I have seen how these Mountain West coaches operate when they get to the Pac-12, and they try to do the same thing they did in the mountain west, which is why most fail. I'm being an asshole and should LIPO. His staff hirings should tell me a lot, but I was hoping for a more proven coach to be hired. To me, this is just as big of a gamble as hiring Jimmy.
    We are doomed to fail if we try to beat Oregon at Oregon’s game. We aren’t going to consistently pull top 5 recruiting classes (and then fail to develop anyone).

Lots of ways to win - but we had a winning formula with pulling top-15 classes and then actually developing players. I’m a bit concerned about recruiting, but 90% of it is just effort, and that’s it. If the staff puts in the effort, they’ll be fine. Plus, recruiting is transactional now, and if we finally figured out NIL with Montlake Futures, we are good.
    One of my biggest concerns besides recruiting is he's never built a program. This job is a rebuild, as we all saw Friday night. He took over a successful team at the NAIA level and then took over a team with Tedford recruits and had one decent year (Yes, nine wins at the MW level is decent to me). That's a good resume for WSU or Arizona, but it shouldn't be good enough for Washington.
  • Options
    Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,892
    Photogenic First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Founders Club

FSDogs1 said:

This is what the twatterverse tea leaves are saying.

Fresno fan here. Don't want to rule this out, but it doesn't look ideal on the surface. I guess it all depends on Tedford's health situation.

For DeBoer, he's had success but has a relatively thin resume for a good P5 school. If the fans turn on him, won't there be pressure to hand the keys to Tedford?
    No, hopefully we would fire both and get a new coach. Eventually we would get a new one. It’s all a gamble. Campbell would be a gamble too and a more costly one if it didn’t work out.
    Spending big isn’t a gamble.
  • Options

FSDogs1 said:

Fresno fan here. Don't want to rule this out, but it doesn't look ideal on the surface. I guess it all depends on Tedford's health situation.

For DeBoer, he's had success but has a relatively thin resume for a good P5 school. If the fans turn on him, won't there be pressure to hand the keys to Tedford?
    No, hopefully we would fire both and get a new coach. Eventually we would get a new one. It’s all a gamble. Campbell would be a gamble too and a more costly one if it didn’t work out.
    Sounds healthy. lol.
  • Options
    FSDogs1 said:

FSDogs1 said:

Sounds healthy. lol.
    What are your thoughts on him and the current staff he has?
  • Options
    fouchpotatofouchpotato Member Posts: 53
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

DoogDawg said:

@sonics1993 I don’t know even the ins and outs of the program like you do. It’s not even close. I know next to nothing about anything inside the program. I am fully aware how important recruiting is, but it’s not the end all be all like you believe.

Totally agree it's not everything, but I have seen how these Mountain West coaches operate when they get to the Pac-12, and they try to do the same thing they did in the mountain west, which is why most fail. I'm being an asshole and should LIPO. His staff hirings should tell me a lot, but I was hoping for a more proven coach to be hired. To me, this is just as big of a gamble as hiring Jimmy.
    We are doomed to fail if we try to beat Oregon at Oregon’s game. We aren’t going to consistently pull top 5 recruiting classes (and then fail to develop anyone).

Lots of ways to win - but we had a winning formula with pulling top-15 classes and then actually developing players. I’m a bit concerned about recruiting, but 90% of it is just effort, and that’s it. If the staff puts in the effort, they’ll be fine. Plus, recruiting is transactional now, and if we finally figured out NIL with Montlake Futures, we are good.
    One of my biggest concerns besides recruiting is he's never built a program. This job is a rebuild, as we all saw Friday night. He took over a successful team at the NAIA level and then took over a team with Tedford recruits and had one decent year (Yes, nine wins at the MW level is decent to me). That's a good resume for WSU or Arizona, but it shouldn't be good enough for Washington.
    Who would be your preferred hire?
  • Options
    gmogmo Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,644
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

We’re so fucked.

this
    Meanwhile USC hits a grand slam. Leave it to TheFatLesboSchool to continue their FatLesboSchool ways.

Good luck the rest of the way.
    Did someone say FatLesbo (NTTIAWWT)?

• Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,459
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Bob_C said:

FSDogs1 said:

Spending big isn’t a gamble.
    It is with the contracts being handed out before the Pac gets a new TV deal and having the worst AD in power 5.
  • Options
    edited November 2021

FSDogs1 said:

FSDogs1 said:

Sounds healthy. lol.
    DeBoer? I'm not an expert, but he's had continued success at every level he's coached at. Just look Indiana's drop off this year. Big question mark is recruiting. It's just very different at the P5 level and he hasn't had time to prove he can recruit and develop talent at Fresno, IMO. That's not to say he can't.

He's 9-3, but most Fresno fans would be reminded that Tim DeRuyter was 9-4 in his first season here before things gradually fell apart (bad recruiter, couldn't develop talent; e.g. ignored Josh Allen when he was desperate to play for Fresno).

I just know Tedford was pretty much loved by the team, and I think he was a big draw for the kids that committed over PAC offers.

There are certain coaches on the staff the fans would want to keep. Proven, dependable coaches and those seen to have big upside (Kirby Moore). His OC is seen as solid, but his play calling has been questioned at times. Most fans would be content to see him go.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    digits said:

DoogDawg said:

The year before DeBoer was hired, Fresno St. went 4-8 in 2019, obviously, the same record we? have now. He didn't inherit a winning program.
    Three years before he took over as head coach, 10-4, 12-2, and then 4-8 where Jeff had health problems pop up. It was a winning program. He goes 3-3 his first year and then 9-3 his second year. I would like to see what his record is when he has to bring in his own recruits before giving him the job.
  • Options
    FSDogs1 said:

FSDogs1 said:

FSDogs1 said:

Sounds healthy. lol.
    DeBoer? I'm not an expert, but he's had continued success at every level he's coached at. Just look Indiana's drop off this year. Big question mark is recruiting. It's just very different at the P5 level and he hasn't had time to prove he can recruit and develop talent at Fresno, IMO. That's not to say he can't.

He's 9-3, but most Fresno fans would be reminded that Tim DeRuyter was 9-4 in his first season here before things gradually fell apart (bad recruiter, couldn't develop talent; e.g. ignored Josh Allen when he was desperate to play for Fresno).

I just know Tedford was pretty much loved by the team, and I think he was a big draw for the kids that committed over PAC offers.

There are certain coaches on the staff the fans would want to keep. Proven, dependable coaches and those seen to have big upside (Kirby Moore). His OC is seen as solid, but his play calling has been questioned at times. Most fans would be content to see him go.
    That last line is what scares me the most. I have heard most Fresno State fans not be bothered by losing him and are surprised that Washington is even going after him.