Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

If Lake is fired, who’s in the candidate pool?

Comments

• Options
    lawsandllawsandl Member Posts: 1,555
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

lawsandl said:

Looks like Lake is the top candidate

He can still coach a defense. Hopefully he makes some better moves in hiring and adds more to the S&C program. Oregon punked UW in the trenches and on paper those recruits were better.
    Fuck him. Go home to Spokane and be the DC for the indoor team.

I think he should go. However, this is the best defense in the league and should be even better against the run.
  • Options

lawsandl said:

lawsandl said:

Looks like Lake is the top candidate

He can still coach a defense. Hopefully he makes some better moves in hiring and adds more to the S&C program. Oregon punked UW in the trenches and on paper those recruits were better.
    Fuck him. Go home to Spokane and be the DC for the indoor team.

I think he should go. However, this is the best defense in the league and should be even better against the run.
    Are you doing some kind of bit because you want UW to keep Lake because he is terrible?
    No. I really think ultimately that a strong Pac - 12 helps all ships rise. Also, do we want a cute regional rivalry or one that changes the national landscape?
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,226
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    edited November 2021
    Jimmy's D is hardly an issue. Leading the conference in PPG allowed (19.7) despite all the short fields they've been given. Yeah, they get worn down throughout games and start getting gashed like clockwork but can you blame them? You gotta be @GrandpaSankey to not see where the issues are.
  • Options

Jimmy's D is hardly an issue. Leading the conference in PPG allowed (19.7) despite all the short fields they've been given. Yeah, they get worn down throughout games and start getting gashed like clockwork but can you blame them? You gotta be @GrandpaSankey to not see where the issues are.

The interior DL should be better against the run. I have no idea what’s going on with the OL.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,712

The easiest giveaway that you’re dealing with an idiot is if they use PPG as their metric.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited November 2021
    lawsandl said:

The interior DL should be better against the run. I have no idea what’s going on with the OL.
    The DL definitely hasn't given us what we're used to the last 7-8 years but I think the main factor is they're simply gassed. I've watched our DL give up on plays in the 2nd half numerous times. They're toast and we don't have the depth to sustain the abnormal amount of time they have to be out there. 76 plays to 51 yesterday. 22 to 7 first downs. Two Oregon TDs came after 3-and-outs, one with a 22-yard field. Playing 6 in the box when we know the other team is running doesn't help the DL either.

Despite all that, we're leading the conference in ppg allowed, have given up less (in some cases far less) this season than Bama, Auburn, Oklahoma, Oregon, LSU, Notre Dame, Michigan State, USC, and Texas. Yet here we are at 4-5 with Dylan Morris making Casey Paus look like Trevor Lawrence.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,985
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

If we're being realistic and want an experienced HC with west coast-ish ties who may not jump at the earliest opportunity, I'm looking at the following...

Top? options: Sitake, DeBoer, Matt Entz (North Dakota State HC, least west coast ties of all listed here)

Slightly under the top? options, but an argument could be made: Choate, Troy Taylor (Sac State HC and passing game savant. Could be good for Huard), Aaron Best (EWU HC), Brent Vigen (Montana State HC, took over for Choate, first year HC)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalani_Sitake
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalen_DeBoer
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Entz

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Choate
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_Taylor_(American_football)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Best
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brent_Vigen

Ffs Troy Taylor was run out as the OC at Utah and you want to consider him at Uw? His scheme and qb nearly killed Britain covey and scored a total of 1 TD in 2 games on us that year before he was told to LEAVE!
    Okay, cherry-pick the example that doesn't make sense to you. I'm throwing it out there. Being a first-time OC for Whittingham is much different than being a HC. You know that. Taylor is doing very well at Sac State. Not saying he's my top choice by any means, but I wouldn't use his Utah first-time OC experience and Britain Covey's deaths as barometers for his HC abilities.
    It’s not cherry picking that is a list for Arizona or WSU. This is not the time for your low expectations bullshit.
    The post was framed around being realistic you dipshit. Not sure what your pie in the sky expectations are. Cristobal himself was a no-name hire that was trash as an HC previously. The only way we get a household name HC at UW is MAYBE if Petersen becomes AD or something. Please list your candidates so I can laugh them off the face of the earth.
    There it is. The first “but who could we get that is better?” take.

I knew you could do it.
    I'll wait for your inspiring and insightful suggestions. I'll probably die of starvation before that happens.
    We should get beau Baldwin!

• Options
    MontlakeBridgeTrollMontlakeBridgeTroll Member Posts: 920
    edited November 2021
    If Mora falls through what about Bobby Hauck?

Dude took an FCS team into a ranked P5 team's stadium and beat them.

And I think he did it with Losingham's former DC.

• Options
    edited November 2021

The easiest giveaway that you’re dealing with an idiot is if they use PPG as their metric.
    Raw stats like PPG are horseshit in a sport that has a wildly variable 120+ teams. I thought this was well established and widely accepted for the last 10+ years, or at least since the advent of ADVANCED METRICS, but I'm not surprised to see that @CallMeBigErn is once again behind the curve on this one.
    A great defense doesn’t give up the run so easily. This defense is death by a thousand cuts. They clearly aren’t good enough on the interior to play this scheme.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited November 2021

Raw stats like PPG are horseshit in a sport that has a wildly variable 120+ teams. I thought this was well established and widely accepted for the last 10+ years, or at least since the advent of ADVANCED METRICS, but I'm not surprised to see that @CallMeBigErn is once again behind the curve on this one.
    Neanderthals. If you have an offense that averages 30 ppg and a defense that gives up 19 ppg, you generally win more games than when your offense is averaging 22 and your defense gives up 19 ppg.

You disagree that the offense is the main problem or are you completely missing the point?
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,985
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

Neanderthals. If you have an offense that averages 30 ppg and a defense that gives up 19 ppg, you generally win more games than when your offense is averaging 22 and your defense gives up 19 ppg.

You disagree that the offense is the problem or are you completely missing the point?
    Both the offense and defense are the problem. The offense is just historically bad. Special teams are awful too.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Furthermore, @GreenRiverGatorz , UW is 14th nationally in your futuristic hyper-advanced defensive FEI ratings. Good try.
  • Options

Furthermore, @GreenRiverGatorz , UW is 14th nationally in your futuristic hyper-advanced defensive FEI ratings. Good try.

The defense is good. It’s not great and far from elite.

• Options
    edited November 2021

Just imagine if the two best teams you played could actually throw the ball. Some of the passing numbers are being bolstered from an unprecedented schedule of bad passers.

Imagine the best passer on any given year is Chase Garbers. That doesn’t come around often.