Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

If Lake is fired, who’s in the candidate pool?

Comments

• Options
    lawsandllawsandl Member Posts: 1,555
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

From the college ranks:
    T1
    Campbell
    Fickell
    T2
    Hafley
    Patterson (depending on if he still wants to corch)
    T3
    Deboer
    Norvell
    Monken
    T4
    Choate

FML
    It’s not a good time to be in the market.
  • Options
    I can’t understand why someone isn’t going after the Coastal Carolina coach.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,994
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    lawsandl said:

From the college ranks:
    T1
    Campbell
    Fickell
    T2
    Hafley
    T3
    Deboer
    Norvell
    Monken
    T4
    Choate

FML
    The market is fine. We are just with the poors. It used to be we weren’t.

Regardless hiring is a crap shoot. It’s about rewarding the guy who has success so he never wants to leave. Also, it’s about firing the guy after year 3 if he sucks. Sooner if they are jimmy lake.
  • Options

lawsandl said:

From the college ranks:
    T1
    Campbell
    Fickell
    T2
    Hafley
    T3
    Deboer
    Norvell
    Monken
    T4
    Choate

FML

Regardless hiring is a crap shoot. It’s about rewarding the guy who has success so he never wants to leave. Also, it’s about firing the guy after year 3 if he sucks. Sooner if they are jimmy lake.
    I think you have to get rid of Lake. I do want to see the PAC 12 level up. No one wants Oregon in the payoffs nationally and it’s hard to blame them.

The product needs to be better.
  • Options
    BonedogBonedog Member Posts: 650
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
  • Options
    no_uhno_uh Member Posts: 760
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Mullen could be available soon
  • Options
    CH0PwarlordCH0Pwarlord Member Posts: 224
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    edited November 2021

lawsandl said:

From the college ranks:
    T1
    Campbell
    Fickell
    T2
    Hafley
    T3
    Deboer
    Norvell
    Monken
    T4
    Choate

FML

This is the real issue. UW should not be limited on who they can go after and pay. Current leadership sees this program as a top 25 challenger, not a site for a top ten elite program. The coaches list will be similar to guys WSU goes after because that will be both who displays interest under current circumstances and who the UW will pay fairly. If a better coach lands here it will be because they see an opportunity to run the Pac12, and that vision will not come from the AD.

• Options
    theLSkidtheLSkid Member Posts: 344
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    lawsandl said:

South Carolina offered (from what I was told), Coastal returned 20 starters this season so he thought they could sneak into a NYC6 I'm assuming.. ?
  • Options
    theLSkid said:

lawsandl said:

South Carolina offered (from what I was told), Coastal returned 20 starters this season so he thought they could sneak into a NYC6 I'm assuming.. ?
    That would be my guess.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    lawsandl said:

theLSkid said:

lawsandl said:

That would be my guess.
    Also, he probably thought he could up his stock. SCAR is a nightmare job.
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,415
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    edited November 2021
    I don't see us landing a Campbell or Fickell right now. Campbell has had many opportunities to leave and Fickell will be a top option for SEC/BIG 10/ACC schools. He's not a guy who will stick out here. If we're being realistic and want an experienced HC with west coast-ish ties who may not jump at the earliest opportunity, I'm looking at the following...

Top? options: Sitake, DeBoer, Matt Entz (North Dakota State HC, least west coast ties of all listed here)

Slightly under the top? options, but an argument could be made: Choate, Troy Taylor (Sac State HC and passing game savant. Could be good for Huard), Aaron Best (EWU HC), Brent Vigen (Montana State HC, took over for Choate, first year HC)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalani_Sitake
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalen_DeBoer
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Entz

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Choate
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_Taylor_(American_football)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Best
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brent_Vigen

That being said, I'm still not convinced that Jimmy isn't the coach with the highest ceiling. Pretty much every HOF coach was decidedly average in their first years as coaches/first years at a school. Peterson was 5-7 at UW, Saban was 7-6 at Bama, Pete Carroll was 6-6 at USC, the list goes on. Coaches need seasoning just like players and every other occupation. Installing your system takes time. He's clearly on the wrong trend but I see a situation where our issues are 99% on our OC and QB. This is a 6-3 to 8-1 team if our offense was even AVERAGE. The fix is obvious. My biggest concern with Jimmy is that he is still rolling out the same trash every fucking week. Stubbornness can be a good and bad quality in an HC. This isn't a good kind.
  • Options

lawsandl said:

From the college ranks:
    T1
    Campbell
    Fickell
    T2
    Hafley
    T3
    Deboer
    Norvell
    Monken
    T4
    Choate

FML

This is the real issue. UW should not be limited on who they can go after and pay. Current leadership sees this program as a top 25 challenger, not a site for a top ten elite program. The coaches list will be similar to guys WSU goes after because that will be both who displays interest under current circumstances and who the UW will pay fairly. If a better coach lands here it will be because they see an opportunity to run the Pac12, and that vision will not come from the AD.

This. Whether you liked Rick or not, he was highly thought of and they went and pursued him at Colorado when he wasn’t necessarily thinking about the uw job. Paid him a bunch and sold him on the program. Colorado was basically same level as prestige as uw back then.

IMO Pete got the program to a spot where it would be appealing to someone like the coach of Iowa fucking state. They ruined that a bit with the hiring of lake. So now $$$$ can show commitment and attract a ton of candidates. I don’t have faith that they’ll do it but that’s where we are.
    Campbell can go where he wants. Right now LSU, USC and Florida is inevitable. All three won it all in the 21st century.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,994
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    lawsandl said:

lawsandl said:

From the college ranks:
    T1
    Campbell
    Fickell
    T2
    Hafley
    T3
    Deboer
    Norvell
    Monken
    T4
    Choate

FML

This. Whether you liked Rick or not, he was highly thought of and they went and pursued him at Colorado when he wasn’t necessarily thinking about the uw job. Paid him a bunch and sold him on the program. Colorado was basically same level as prestige as uw back then.

IMO Pete got the program to a spot where it would be appealing to someone like the coach of Iowa fucking state. They ruined that a bit with the hiring of lake. So now $$$$ can show commitment and attract a ton of candidates. I don’t have faith that they’ll do it but that’s where we are.
    Campbell can go where he wants. Right now LSU, USC and Florida is inevitable. All three won it all in the 21st century.
    Maybe. Those jobs are competitive though. I don’t think he is at the top of any of those schools lists though. Iowa state is good but not great.

A coach that competent would probably dominate the pac12 right now with usc recruiting though.