Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Between the Front & Back: Grundle’s Book Club

GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Standard Supporter
edited February 2021 in Yellow Snow's Record Shoppe

Full disclosure, I have never conducted nor participated in book club. But at HardcoreHusky, expertise is a disqualification.

I cheated a little and started this last week. It's completely my wheelhouse, big picture stuff somewhere between the Tug and @creepycoug shitty little bored, knowledge of which helps me not at all in daily life. Call it intellectual onanism.

The New Map: Energy, Climate, and the Clash of Nations (Daniel Yergin, 2020)

Named Energy Writer of the Year for The New Map by the American Energy Society

Pulitzer Prize-winning author and global energy expert, Daniel Yergin offers a revelatory new account of how energy revolutions, climate battles, and geopolitics are mapping our future

The world is being shaken by the collision of energy, climate change, and the clashing power of nations in a time of global crisis. The shale revolution in oil and gas--made possible by fracking technology, but not without controversy--has transformed the American economy, ending the era of shortage, but introducing a turbulent new era. Almost overnight, the United States has become the world's number one energy powerhouse--and, during the coronavirus crisis, brokered a tense truce between Russia and Saudi Arabia. Yet concern about energy's role in climate change is challenging our economy and way of life, accelerating a second energy revolution in the search for a low carbon future. All of this has been made starker and more urgent by the coronavirus pandemic and the economic dark age that it has wrought.

More at Goodreads.
I read one this guym's earlier books immediately before, and it was outstanding. I only got a couple chapters into this one and it was every bit as good.

So I guess how this is going to work, I'm throwing this out here at the end of February. At the end of March, we'll all talk about it or something. Or don't. I could care less.

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,358
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,042
    Founders Club
    I'm on board for sure. But what happened to that Female Orgasms for Dummies that was being kicked around?
  • Options
    IPukeOregonGrellowIPukeOregonGrellow Member Posts: 2,183
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Sure, but Dildo Cay would lead to a much better conversation.
  • Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,078
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Four thoughs hoo donut reed wheel, itz awn auditable.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Swaye said:

This book club would be better if I could read.

Me too

• Options
    Standard Supporter
    If anyone is doing this thing, discussion starts last week of March or so. In true HCH fashion, I can't think of any structure to the discussion, just let it rip. It's tempting to say, "keep down the malarkey," but that's the fun in that.

I just finished having the book read to me, didn't disappoint.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,931
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

If anyone is doing this thing, discussion starts last week of March or so. In true HCH fashion, I can't think of any structure to the discussion, just let it rip. It's tempting to say, "keep down the malarkey," but that's the fun in that.

I just finished having the book read to me, didn't disappoint.

I ordered it. Not hear yet.
  • Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    Standard Supporter
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,042
    Founders Club
    I'll be starting it next week, along with Yellowstone
  • Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,078
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I'm I don't know a chapter or two in. Listening in the car. I miss some parts, but less than if I were reading. Very interesting so far. Especially the sex parts.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

I'm I don't know a chapter or two in. Listening in the car. I miss some parts, but less than if I were reading. Very interesting so far. Especially the sex parts.

I might listen again, for comprehension, and take some notes.

This guy's approach is more straight analysis, versus the mild-to-explicit advocacy books on energy I've read lately, and I dig that.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,064
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    This may be my only participation because tim is short but the segment on Chinas' energy exploration in the South China Sea, and how they are causing so many international tensions to do it, are supremely interesting. Oil still shaping geopolitical intrigue and the clash of powers all these years after Japan attacked Pearl Harbor to sustain oil rich war gains in the Pacific. I am enjoying this, but speed reading in snatches probably makes me miss half the points. Good chit though.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,310
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

This may be my only participation because tim is short but the segment on Chinas' energy exploration in the South China Sea, and how they are causing so many international tensions to do it, are supremely interesting. Oil still shaping geopolitical intrigue and the clash of powers all these years after Japan attacked Pearl Harbor to sustain oil rich war gains in the Pacific. I am enjoying this, but speed reading in snatches probably makes me miss half the points. Good chit though.

Why don't you either pull out or finish and THEN read the book. You'll retain more information that way.
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,788
    Founders Club
    I read it. "It" meaning the first 3 chapters online. Chinteresting. Will continue.
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,788
    Founders Club
    So far so good. Read the free 8 chapters online, bought the book.

Very interesting. Seems to be written factually, apolitically - which is refreshing tbh. After GRUNDLe saying so, I wish I took notes. Some real gems. Certainly creating a new understanding of the geopolitics in play.

(TTTTT - after seeing that Saudi Arabia only sends us a low single-digit percentage of our actual fossil fuel use as a country, it's a head-scratcher that Trump and Biden gave MBS a free pass for the Khashoggi assassination. Slightly more understandable under Trump since we weren't quite yet energy independent though certainly trending that way, but still ...)

Really hope @HoustonHusky partakes in this book report. I would love to hear his take as he is likely familiar with all of subject matter.