Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Remember now, Charter Schools are failures

124»

Comments

• Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

RoadTrip said:

So you guys are cool with schools closing? I got a different impression as you were using kids to score political points during the pandemic.

The point is choice. If there is a good public school - and there are good public schools just to take that off the table - nearby, then that school's funding is probably not going to suffer and that charter school probably will choose to site somewhere else.

I view is as alternative of offering help where it's needed. If it's not needed, then it's not needed. But where they are, they're subscribed, and for a reason.

I see no reason to spare any type of school that is mailing it in, be it public or private. If a good charter school sucks funding from a shit-performing public, that's the market at work and a good result. Let the public school get its shit together and compete.

We're not talking about creating mini Exeters or Choates here with public subsidy. We're talking about incompetency to competency. Just offering a shot at a decent education. Not an elite one.

If the charter school fails, then it fails.
    These things don’t exist in a vacuum, a million kids have had charter schools they’re attending fail.

This isn’t about creating a choice, it’s a jerk off session for privatization. And the kids, who’s parents get tricked into the scam, are the victims. That’s why the big crocodile tears for the current school closures is, in fact, the point.

But hey, maybe your property taxes will go down and it’ll all be worth it.
    I lived most of my adult live in an area with good public schools so charter was never an issue, and I now live in an area with some great and some 'just ok' pubic schools that my kids don't attend. It's not my battle anymore, and I don't mind paying property taxes to help public education.

But in many parts of the country, what would qualify as a shit-tier public HS (say, Foss or Rainier Beach) would be viewed as a great alternative to the prevailing shit-hole options. I can't for the life of me understand why you would not want there to be an option ... an "out" ... for people who can't afford full-pay private tuition. I view it as the functional equivalent of creating more Catholic parochial schools. People often confuse those as being elite; most are not. They are less expensive than independent college prep schools, they admit a wider range of kids and the church subsidizes the cost. It's usually better than shit-tier public, and often inferior to top quality public. Charter schools seem like they operate at that level in the market.

If they are all failures, please cite me the study. I'm not pretending to be an expert on how they have played out. But the push for them continues, and there's a good reason why ... no viable public school option.
    I agree with all of that with the exception of, "It's usually better than shit-tier public, and often inferior to top quality public." Any Catholic grade school education is better than a "shit-tier" public school option and almost always better than even your well-funded public options.
    I should have said "always" better than shit-tier public, but stick to "often" better than top-quality public. I'm not talking independent prep schools masquerading as Catholic schools, like Villa Academy or Holy Names or Seattle Prep, or even Eastside Catholic.

But your run-of-the-mill Catholic parochial school is not going to compete favorably with Newport HS or Bellevue HS or Mercer Island HS, or the like. It was those comparisons that came to mind. Grade school may be a different story. That was so long ago I honestly don't really have a base of knowledge to even comment. I just remember the parochial schools in our area up North were not super impressive and didn't churn out the top kids once they went on to the feeder HS. It was just a community and a decent place to get your kid's educated; it wasn't anything that special and appealed more to people who wanted that kind of community as opposed to people chasing an elite prep education for their kids. YMMV
    Truth. In The Throbber's home village, the Catholic school was m'eh. Good but not OMG success for life. The brains went to the rich white kid public school.

Better teachers generally flowed from the Catholic schools to the public schools since the bennies were better and the pay considerably higher.

That was a gazillion years ago so somewhat more balanced now. But rich white kid public schools will always have more resources and numbers to offer higher end offerings than the Catlicks. It's why the leftists are killing the AP/System racist programs in Boston and will start down the same path elsewhere. Easier to perpetuate the whitey evil narrative that way.
    Agree. Seattle area Catholic schools are not like, say Chicago. Public schools are better funded and teachers better paid. Generally you send your kids for reasons other than academis first.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,914
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

RoadTrip said:

So you guys are cool with schools closing? I got a different impression as you were using kids to score political points during the pandemic.

The point is choice. If there is a good public school - and there are good public schools just to take that off the table - nearby, then that school's funding is probably not going to suffer and that charter school probably will choose to site somewhere else.

I view is as alternative of offering help where it's needed. If it's not needed, then it's not needed. But where they are, they're subscribed, and for a reason.

I see no reason to spare any type of school that is mailing it in, be it public or private. If a good charter school sucks funding from a shit-performing public, that's the market at work and a good result. Let the public school get its shit together and compete.

We're not talking about creating mini Exeters or Choates here with public subsidy. We're talking about incompetency to competency. Just offering a shot at a decent education. Not an elite one.

These things don’t exist in a vacuum, a million kids have had charter schools they’re attending fail.

This isn’t about creating a choice, it’s a jerk off session for privatization. And the kids, who’s parents get tricked into the scam, are the victims. That’s why the big crocodile tears for the current school closures is, in fact, the point.

I lived most of my adult live in an area with good public schools so charter was never an issue, and I now live in an area with some great and some 'just ok' pubic schools that my kids don't attend. It's not my battle anymore, and I don't mind paying property taxes to help public education.

But in many parts of the country, what would qualify as a shit-tier public HS (say, Foss or Rainier Beach) would be viewed as a great alternative to the prevailing shit-hole options. I can't for the life of me understand why you would not want there to be an option ... an "out" ... for people who can't afford full-pay private tuition. I view it as the functional equivalent of creating more Catholic parochial schools. People often confuse those as being elite; most are not. They are less expensive than independent college prep schools, they admit a wider range of kids and the church subsidizes the cost. It's usually better than shit-tier public, and often inferior to top quality public. Charter schools seem like they operate at that level in the market.

If they are all failures, please cite me the study. I'm not pretending to be an expert on how they have played out. But the push for them continues, and there's a good reason why ... no viable public school option.
    I agree with all of that with the exception of, "It's usually better than shit-tier public, and often inferior to top quality public." Any Catholic grade school education is better than a "shit-tier" public school option and almost always better than even your well-funded public options.
    I should have said "always" better than shit-tier public, but stick to "often" better than top-quality public. I'm not talking independent prep schools masquerading as Catholic schools, like Villa Academy or Holy Names or Seattle Prep, or even Eastside Catholic.

But your run-of-the-mill Catholic parochial school is not going to compete favorably with Newport HS or Bellevue HS or Mercer Island HS, or the like. It was those comparisons that came to mind. Grade school may be a different story. That was so long ago I honestly don't really have a base of knowledge to even comment. I just remember the parochial schools in our area up North were not super impressive and didn't churn out the top kids once they went on to the feeder HS. It was just a community and a decent place to get your kid's educated; it wasn't anything that special and appealed more to people who wanted that kind of community as opposed to people chasing an elite prep education for their kids. YMMV
    Truth. In The Throbber's home village, the Catholic school was m'eh. Good but not OMG success for life. The brains went to the rich white kid public school.

Better teachers generally flowed from the Catholic schools to the public schools since the bennies were better and the pay considerably higher.

That was a gazillion years ago so somewhat more balanced now. But rich white kid public schools will always have more resources and numbers to offer higher end offerings than the Catlicks. It's why the leftists are killing the AP/System racist programs in Boston and will start down the same path elsewhere. Easier to perpetuate the whitey evil narrative that way.
    Agree. Seattle area Catholic schools are not like, say Chicago. Public schools are better funded and teachers better paid. Generally you send your kids for reasons other than academis first.

To paraphrase DLR, I wish they could all be Catlick girls...
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

If charter schools are a privatization jerk off, then what exactly does a free alternative to public schooling look like on a large scale?

Public schools are failing and the teachers union isn't going anywhere. I'll support anyone who brings solutions to the table. Charter schools are at the table.
    It’s called vouchers. And public school isn’t free.
  • Options
    thechatchthechatch Member Posts: 5,580
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Dems - “Our public schools are failing!”

Also, Dems - “Throw more money at the existing system!”
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,922
    Standard Supporter
    thechatch said:

Teachers Unions are the single biggest contributor to the Rat Party. When more money is tossed at the schools more money ends up in the Rat Party's pockets.
  • Options
    thechatchthechatch Member Posts: 5,580
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    SFGbob said:

thechatch said:

Teachers Unions are the single biggest contributor to the Rat Party. When more money is tossed at the schools more money ends up in the Rat Party's pockets.
    It’s one of the more impressive grifts in politics.

Teachers unions and SEIU are cash machines for the DNC. BLM is their biggest riser, while large corps ride both sides depending on which way the wind is blowing.

Small business votes red.

I wonder who gets crushed when either party controls DC....And people wonder where policy comes from.

Bernie voters actually believe their voices count for something. Stupid fucking kids.
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,922
    Standard Supporter
    thechatch said:

SFGbob said:

thechatch said:

Teachers unions and SEIU are cash machines for the DNC. BLM is their biggest riser, while large corps ride both sides depending on which way the wind is blowing.

I wonder who gets crushed when either party controls DC....And people wonder where policy comes from.

Bernie voters actually believe their voices count for something. Stupid fucking kids.
    Our tax dollars fund the Rat party.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    Standard Supporter
    thechatch said:

SFGbob said:

thechatch said:

Weº are seeing their bald-face power right out in the open.