Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Remember now, Charter Schools are failures

SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,922
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Standard Supporter
Unlike the successful public school system.

In middle and high school, schools must teach about “systemic racism,” instructing students that American society was designed for the “impoverishment of people of color and enrichment of white people,” that the United States “created a social system that had racist economic inequality built into its foundation,” and that “the [current] wealth gap is the result of black slavery, which created unjust wealth for white people,” who are “unfairly rich.” Students then learn that “all white people play a part in perpetuating systemic racism” and that “often unconsciously, white elites work to perpetuate racism through politics, law, education, and the media.”

The new training sessions and curriculum are unlikely to lead to better student academic outcomes. Buffalo Public Schools have been an abject failure: by fifth grade, only 18 percent of students are proficient in math and 20 percent of students are proficient in English; one-third of all students fail to graduate from high school. The numbers are even worse for African-Americans, who constitute 45 percent of the student population. And according to the veteran teacher, despite the new “antiracism” programming, the district’s poor response to the pandemic has accelerated racial inequalities, with virtual attendance rates as low as 30 percent in some classrooms.

https://www.city-journal.org/buffalo-public-schools-critical-race-theory-curriculum

Comments

• Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,604
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    How is it that every move dems make manage to hurt poor people and black people the most
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

How is it that every move dems make manage to hurt poor people and black people the most

Because they are Democrats and it's in their blood and they've been doing it for nearly 200 years.
  • Options
    KidsInCagesDawgKidsInCagesDawg Member Posts: 332
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Not an accident
  • Options
    NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

They view minorities, and specifically the Blacks they used to own, as lesser humans.

There was a guy in Oregon education on The Shed named DuckDan who posted the most systematically racist things I’ve read on the Internet. He lost his job for his posts.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

They view minorities, and specifically the Blacks they used to own, as lesser humans.

There was a guy in Oregon education on The Shed named DuckDan who posted the most systematically racist things I’ve read on the Internet. He lost his job for his posts.
    By keeping the race issue on the front burner and constantly stoking that fire they can get people focused solely on that, while their hedge fund donors and public employee union paymasters raid the Federal treasury.
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,753
    The truth is that slightly over half the charters in the U.S. outperform their public counterparts. But the real story is the demographics of the students who comprise the student body of charters, who, on the whole, are doing way better in charters than their public school peers. Some bad charters hold the numbers down, just like Newport pulls the public numbers up. You gotta look at the demo to really judge apples to apples. When you do, you'll find it hard to argue that charters aren't doing way, way better than publics for black & hispanic kids.
  • Options
    EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,491
    Founders Club

Because they’d lose their voter base if they ever did something to actually help people get out of poverty.
  • Options
    TheKobeStopperTheKobeStopper Member Posts: 5,959
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment First Anniversary

The truth is that slightly over half the charters in the U.S. outperform their public counterparts. But the real story is the demographics of the students who comprise the student body of charters, who, on the whole, are doing way better in charters than their public school peers. Some bad charters hold the numbers down, just like Newport pulls the public numbers up. You gotta look at the demo to really judge apples to apples. When you do, you'll find it hard to argue that charters aren't doing way, way better than publics for black & hispanic kids.

Half of charter schools close. So I don’t know how you’re getting to more than half outproducing public schools. I’d love to see a link though.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,604
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    If I lived in a city where the public schools are ghetto I wouldn't send my kid there for a second. Where I grew up public schools were great so I really can't relate.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    Standard Supporter

Half of charter schools close. So I don’t know how you’re getting to more than half outproducing public schools. I’d love to see a link though.
    Makes one wonder how many public schools would close, if permitted.
  • Options
    So you guys are cool with schools closing? I got a different impression as you were using kids to score political points during the pandemic.
  • Options

So you guys are cool with schools closing? I got a different impression as you were using kids to score political points during the pandemic.

Some people can hold two thoughts in their minds at once. Sorry.
  • Options
    I have to say, I just love @TheKobeStopper's feigned surprise at discovering something he can play off as hypocritical or ironic, all the while knowing it isn't. Quite a performance, @TheKobeStopper.

Unfortunately you're as predictable, phony and transparent AF.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    Standard Supporter

Be better.
  • Options

The point is choice. If there is a good public school - and there are good public schools just to take that off the table - nearby, then that school's funding is probably not going to suffer and that charter school probably will choose to site somewhere else.

I view is as alternative of offering help where it's needed. If it's not needed, then it's not needed. But where they are, they're subscribed, and for a reason.

I see no reason to spare any type of school that is mailing it in, be it public or private. If a good charter school sucks funding from a shit-performing public, that's the market at work and a good result. Let the public school get its shit together and compete.

We're not talking about creating mini Exeters or Choates here with public subsidy. We're talking about incompetency to competency. Just offering a shot at a decent education. Not an elite one.

If the charter school fails, then it fails.
    These things don’t exist in a vacuum, a million kids have had charter schools they’re attending fail.

This isn’t about creating a choice, it’s a jerk off session for privatization. And the kids, who’s parents get tricked into the scam, are the victims. That’s why the big crocodile tears for the current school closures is, in fact, the point.

But hey, maybe your property taxes will go down and it’ll all be worth it.
  • Options
    BendintheriverBendintheriver Member Posts: 5,373
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

The point is choice. If there is a good public school - and there are good public schools just to take that off the table - nearby, then that school's funding is probably not going to suffer and that charter school probably will choose to site somewhere else.

I view is as alternative of offering help where it's needed. If it's not needed, then it's not needed. But where they are, they're subscribed, and for a reason.

I see no reason to spare any type of school that is mailing it in, be it public or private. If a good charter school sucks funding from a shit-performing public, that's the market at work and a good result. Let the public school get its shit together and compete.

We're not talking about creating mini Exeters or Choates here with public subsidy. We're talking about incompetency to competency. Just offering a shot at a decent education. Not an elite one.

These things don’t exist in a vacuum, a million kids have had charter schools they’re attending fail.

This isn’t about creating a choice, it’s a jerk off session for privatization. And the kids, who’s parents get tricked into the scam, are the victims. That’s why the big crocodile tears for the current school closures is, in fact, the point.

No one cares about privatizing the schools you flipping idiot. I know it is a nice dodge to accuse people of that. Its the same dodge as falsely accusing someone of being racist.

Do you live around any minority dominated counties, cities, towns, municipalities? Clearly you don't or you would see first hand the damage your elitist leaders are doing to our children. What a heartless asshat. Defending something you know nothing about.

In the neighborhood where we raised our children we were fortunate that the school system was routinely 1 or 2 in the state . It had a very diverse student population even more so when my kids graduated high school By that time many minority families had moved from the South side up to our district to get their kids educated. The horror stories the parents shared were horrendous. The entire county of Clayton lost their accreditation for over a year. That means that no one could graduate and no progress made from grade to grade would count toward grade advancement Again, this was the entire county school district. Those that could afford it and valued their education moved to districts like ours which taught the basics and did not have teachers unions. In Clayton, the only option the poor had was to get a scholarship to charter schools. The charter schools were a God send to these families and the SAT scores per student skyrocketed after two years in the charter system. Like clockwork, the rats got the accreditation back and then set out to destroy the charter schools. Parents fought back and won but one by one the democrats in Clayton County have found ways to cancel our some charter schools. The very same ones that provided an excellent education when the shitty system run by rats failed. So here we are back as it used to be. A shitty school district holding poor minority kids hostage. I mean this with all my soul: Watching rats do this to our children is painful and upsets me very much to the point I want to physically beat some of these asshole rats who are on television spewing their anti-charter/School choice bullshit.
  • Options
    Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 9,006
    5 Up Votes Photogenic First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

It’s not about the taxes here. Most on the right are happy to invest taxes provided there’s and actual payout in the end. We are setting them on fire in the public school system in many cases. The ones I live by aren’t that way by and large. Lots of Asians and whites. The ones in the cities are shit holes, which are the people you supposedly care about.

Small businesses fail all the the time too. New ones pop up and replace them. Well they used to at least.