Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Rats set $1.9 TRILLION vote on Covid payouts to donors at 2am tonight

13»

Comments

• Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,240
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club

I'm still for the 15 and hour. Should be 20. But they throw the fucking pork in and it pisses me off

It should be $18 an hour in shitholes like SF, Seattle, and NY.

It should be $11 in most flyover places like hell Paso and SEC territory
    Why stop at $18 an hour? If $18/hour is good $50/hour would be great, no? C'mon man, "Build Back Better".
    It costs $2,500 or something outrageous for a 450 square foot apartment in San Fransicko. Should the minimum wage be $7.25 there?
    The minimum wage should be zero. Labor supply and demand sets the real wage.
    I don’t agree with that but it should be a local and state issue and not a federal issue to decide on it.

By the way, my local 7-11 has a sign up asking for workers starting at $16/hr plus benefits after a month. Again, it’s a market thing, and not federally mandated.

I'm not sure what it is you don't agree with. The market is setting the starting wage at 7-11 and you seem to recognize that reality.
  • Options
    NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

I'm still for the 15 and hour. Should be 20. But they throw the fucking pork in and it pisses me off

Why stop at $18 an hour? If $18/hour is good $50/hour would be great, no? C'mon man, "Build Back Better".
    It costs $2,500 or something outrageous for a 450 square foot apartment in San Fransicko. Should the minimum wage be $7.25 there?
    The minimum wage should be zero. Labor supply and demand sets the real wage.
    I don’t agree with that but it should be a local and state issue and not a federal issue to decide on it.

By the way, my local 7-11 has a sign up asking for workers starting at $16/hr plus benefits after a month. Again, it’s a market thing, and not federally mandated.

I'm not sure what it is you don't agree with. The market is setting the starting wage at 7-11 and you seem to recognize that reality.
    I do. Which is why the federal government should have no say in dramatically raising it in some states. My Two Dot, MT example is an example. That micro-economy would shut down all small businesses there if a minimum was $15.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,237
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

a Covid relief bill where reportedly only 9% goes to relief

You seem surprised. I’m proud of Biden to even make it close to double digits. When his dumb ass tried to pass a minimum wage law into a relief bill, I knew this thing was full of crap.

Hey Kobe, explain how a minimum wage law applied to Covid relief.
    More like I'm just shaking my head
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,946
    That bill was more like, "oh...yeah, we need to throw some morsels related to COVID in there or the peasants will scream".

Guess what?

They are.

The jig is up, swamp rats.

• Options
    Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 9,077
    5 Up Votes Photogenic First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

It's the unanswerable question and all you need to know. Same argument with taxes and government spending. If there is a mathematical sweet spot that is higher than the current numbers, what is it and how did you arrive at it? @thekobestopper. Your silence in the second half of this thread speaks volumes.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 31,029
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,897
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

San Francisco can implement their own minimum wage. Oh wait, they did!

Now let’s see how a federally mandated $15 an hour works in Two Dot, Montana.

https://sfgov.org/olse/minimum-wage-ordinance-mwo

Employees that perform work in San Francisco, including part-time and temporary employees, must be paid no less than the San Francisco minimum wage, currently $16.07 per hour.
    SouthernDawg did his little strawman with the hyperbolic $50 an hour thing.

I'm saying there should be a fed base line of $10 or 11 an hour. Obviously in Oklahoma or bumbfuck SEC cuntry, the cost of living is lower than in bigger cities
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,922
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Even if the minimum wage was set at $7.25 an hour in SF, and it's not, you still wouldn't have people being paid that wage in SF. You'd never get a single employee paying that wage. That's why even before they raised the minimum wage statewide to $15 an hour most workers even in fast food places were already making more than that in SF.

And the cost of the local rental market shouldn't have anything to do with the minimum wage.