Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

OFFICIAL - Business 'Book Report' Thread

pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,788
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
Founders Club
edited May 2022 in Tug Tavern
What books have you read in your career that have helped you? What has made an indelible impact? What do you recommend most to others?

Rules:
1. Obviously any book has to be Business related - Management, Philosophy, Theory, Personal Development, Finance, Trading, Real Estate, etc.
2. Try to have your first "Book Report" post be your #1 book (or top 3).
3. Please include:
a) link for others to easily find it;
b) a quick summary on what it covers;
c) how it impacted you and/or how you still use it today;
d) anything you think is relevant or worthy of discussion.
4. Podcasts. Since most people are on the go now and listen audibly, podcasts will be allowed. However, please limit a recommendation to a specific episode in a given series.
5. Asking for recommendations on specific topics is encouraged.
6. Have a something to add, co-sign, or disagree! regarding a poasted Book Report - Please Do.
7. Write as many Book Reports as you like.

Comments

• Options
    Founders Club
    edited February 2021
    Rich Dad Poor Dad: What the Rich Teach Their Kids About Money That the Poor and Middle Class Do Not!

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/rich-dad-poor-dad-robert-t-kiyosaki/1112255784?ean=9781612680194

Rich Dad Poor Dad is Robert's story of growing up with two dads — his real father and the father of his best friend, his rich dad — and the ways in which both men shaped his thoughts about money and investing. The book explodes the myth that you need to earn a high income to be rich and explains the difference between working for money and having your money work for you.

When I first read this book 15+ years ago, it calcified my belief that a degree was not the guarantee of success. That one income stream is not "security" - not by a long shot. As I get ready to make a career move in the next few months (in the same industry), Remaining a (albeit well-paid) W-2 is a trap.

It keeps the compass at true north that the long-term goal is to be a business owner. Real freedom is found wilst making money while you sleep.

Other long-term indelible take-a-ways:

Use your income to buy assets.

You buy toys (cars, watches, vacations, etc.) with the money your assets create, not with your income.

Your house is a liability, not an asset. This is a function of cash flow, not appreciation. It costs you money day-in and day-out to maintain. Only a piece of real estate that kicks out more cash than it brings in an asset.

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,354
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    pawz said:

Rich Dad Poor Dad: What the Rich Teach Their Kids About Money That the Poor and Middle Class Do Not!

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/rich-dad-poor-dad-robert-t-kiyosaki/1112255784?ean=9781612680194

Rich Dad Poor Dad is Robert's story of growing up with two dads — his real father and the father of his best friend, his rich dad — and the ways in which both men shaped his thoughts about money and investing. The book explodes the myth that you need to earn a high income to be rich and explains the difference between working for money and having your money work for you.

When I first read this book 15+ years ago, it calcified my belief that a degree was not the guarantee of success. That one income stream is not "security" - not by a long shot. As I get ready to make a career move in the next few months (in the same industry), Remaining a (albeit well-paid) W-2 is a trap.

It keeps the compass at true north that the long-term goal is to be a business owner. Real freedom is found wilst making money while you sleep.

You buy toys (cars, watches, vacations, etc.) with the money your assets create, not with your income.

Your house is a liability, not an asset. This is a function of cash flow, not appreciation. It costs you money day-in and day-out to maintain. Only a piece of real estate that kicks out more cash than it brings in an asset.

My smoking hot PMs liked rich dad poor dad. The pod would be playing in the car
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited February 2021
    The 7-Step “Playbook” for Scaling Your Real Estate Business With AJ Osborne | BP Podcast 388

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcDvRO1kqWg&t=8s

I've been listening to a TON of the BiggerPockets podcasts over the last year. This episode is one of my favorites as it talks about the strategies for creating a business investing in real estate. AJ Osborne (interviewee) had a rare disorder that literally, inexplicably made him paralyzed overnight. He recovered, but if he had not had RE investments in place, he and his family would have experienced financial ruin. His preferred RE investment vehicle is storage units.

Indelible take-a-ways:

There are two ways to scale your business - quantity and quality - and you must do both. For example if you were buying rental properties, after acquiring a handful of single family residences, you start acquiring duplexes. After a handful of those, triplexes and fourplexes. And after a handful of those, 10-20 unit multifamily, and so on ...

AJ is focused on acquiring storage units because it is a lot easier - in his view - to find under-performing assets. To drive home that point, he says 90+% of multi-family properties are owned by institutional money. Institutional money only owns 25-30% of all storage units. Therefor there is a lot of opportunity for a casual or noob investor to acquire assets in this space.

• Options
    Founders Club

pawz said:

YKW, OM
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited February 2021

pawz said:

Watches are a great investment. Axe @Swaye .

Re: primary residence as an “asset” it’s tricky. I’m batting .750 on making purchases that appreciated greatly so my viewpoint is probably clouded.
    This definition is all about cash flow. Cash flows OUT of your accounts every month on your primary residence - mortgage, taxes, maintenance, etc ..

It is certainly reasonable for profit to be realized at the end of a long-term exit strategy. But until then, it acts as a liability.

• Options
    Founders Club

pawz said:

pawz said:

Re: primary residence as an “asset” it’s tricky. I’m batting .750 on making purchases that appreciated greatly so my viewpoint is probably clouded.
    This definition is all about cash flow. Cash flows OUT of your accounts every month on your primary residence - mortgage, taxes, maintenance, etc ..

It is certainly reasonable for profit to be realized at the end of a long-term exit strategy. But until then, it acts as a liability.

Don’t sit for the CPA exam.
    No argument there.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,064
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Check out Surrounded by Idiots

Good book on managing personal relationships in the professional space.

https://www.amazon.com/Surrounded-Idiots-Behavior-Effectively-Communicate/dp/1250179947
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

https://www.amazon.com/Execution-Discipline-Getting-Things-Done/dp/0609610570

This was a required reading as part of some class while getting the illustrious TCU MBA ...

Big takeaway for me in the book is the simplistic idea that you can put together the greatest plan in the world, but if you can't execute it, it's a shitty plan

I haven't read it in well over 15 years so it's probably got some dated elements to it, but it's got a lot of ways to really think about how to frame problems and then design/implement solutions in ways that get stakeholders to buy in.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,926
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    pawz said:

pawz said:

YKW, OM
    I
    pawz said:

pawz said:

Yes, of course, mortgage, taxes, maintenance, etc, is a liability on the balance sheet. But paying rent is a liability too and w/o and tax reduction benefit, nor building of equity. For most Americans, the majority of their net worth is socked away as equity in their primary residence. Home ownership comes with a lot of risks (e.g., buying a lemon, market correction, etc) and paying those god damned rea-la-turz their commission sucks ballz; it still is an "asset" though if you buy smart.

I mean shit if the White Wakanda market appreciates as projected for 2021 (don't ask - it's a stupid number) half of our net worth as a family will be in the primary residence.
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Pretty popular book but one of the few I have read where I actually though "wow I did learn something"
  • Options
    Founders Club

pawz said:

pawz said:

YKW, OM
    I
    pawz said:

pawz said:

Yes, of course, mortgage, taxes, maintenance, etc, is a liability on the balance sheet. But paying rent is a liability too and w/o and tax reduction benefit, nor building of equity. For most Americans, the majority of their net worth is socked away as equity in their primary residence. Home ownership comes with a lot of risks (e.g., buying a lemon, market correction, etc) and paying those god damned rea-la-turz their commission sucks ballz; it still is an "asset" though if you buy smart.

I mean shit if the White Wakanda market appreciates as projected for 2021 (don't ask - it's a stupid number) half of our net worth as a family will be in the primary residence.
    Like all professional services, good ones are worth their weight in gold. Was yours not good? Sorry to hear.

You should join with me in demanding the barrier to entry be higher. Much fucking higher. Redfin is the bain of my existence, more on that later.

90 hours of 'study', a GED and a multiple choice quiz is a fucking joke for the amount of liability and legal knowledge required. Especially when in a court of law, a broker is held to the same standard as a Bar-admitted attorney.

With all that said, I completely agree with the poont you and Throbber are making. The liability argument is the author's and should be seen as a practical matter of out-of-pocket cash in the near term.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    pawz said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

YKW, OM
    I
    pawz said:

pawz said:

Like all professional services, good ones are worth their weight in gold. Was yours not good? Sorry to hear.

You should join with me in demanding the barrier to entry be higher. Much fucking higher. Redfin is the bain of my existence, more on that later.

90 hours of 'study', a GED and a multiple choice quiz is a fucking joke for the amount of liability and legal knowledge required. Especially when in a court of law, a broker is held to the same standard as a Bar-admitted attorney.

With all that said, I completely agree with the poont you and Throbber are making. The liability argument is the author's and should be seen as a practical matter of out-of-pocket cash in the near term.

@pawz I'm only half way serious on realtors. You know how much I love my agent who is one of the best in the biz. And you're absolutely right, a great realtor is worth their weight in gold. What I want out of an agent is 2 things: (1) help prevent me from making a stupid decision and (2) be proactive and a good fucking negotiator when the time comes.

The beef I have with RE is that a lot of agents land in the profession because they don't know what else to do with their lives; and they end up sucking. And to your point the bar to entry in the profession is way too low.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    pawz said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

YKW, OM
    I
    pawz said:

pawz said:

here's my take on realtors: I finally accepted years ago that understanding the markets and really knowing which transactions clear at different price points, and knowing when to list at those price points and when not to, knowing when to wait for more bids or strike on the bird in hand, all of that shit is stuff I could know if I, you know, spent my days doing it and studying it. I don't, and I can't.

so, yeah, if I magically know the right exit or entry point, I'd try and go it alone, and even then I'd have less impact with my listing on the market because they have the best platforms. but I don't, and with my house, I don't have the stones to hope I'm right only to discover after it's too late that I wasn't.

like anything, if you get one that is just mailing it in it won't feel good handing over that commission. but when you get one who is advocating for you and really gets what you want on the buy and knows what you need and can pull off on the sell, it's worth having them along.
  • Options

pawz said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

YKW, OM
    I
    pawz said:

pawz said:

@pawz I'm only half way serious on realtors. You know how much I love my agent who is one of the best in the biz. And you're absolutely right, a great realtor is worth their weight in gold. What I want out of an agent is 2 things: (1) help prevent me from making a stupid decision and (2) be proactive and a good fucking negotiator when the time comes.

The beef I have with RE is that a lot of agents land in the profession because they don't know what else to do with their lives; and they end up sucking. And to your point the bar to entry in the profession is way too low.
    It honestly should be higher. When you think about it, 99.999% of people don't use a lawyer on what is a technical transaction from a document complexity standpoint and one of the, if not the most, important transaction most people will enter into. Great real estate agents can help back-fill that role by being intimately familiar with the purchase agreements and how they work, and other technical aspects of the transaction. Many are; many are not. Like I said in the other poast, it sucks when you are dealing with one who is just mailing it in. It's too important of a role to have slackers be doing it. My sense is that they don't last long because they don't get word-of-mouth referrals and no repeat biz.
  • Options
    pawz said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

YKW, OM
    I
    pawz said:

pawz said:

completely agreed. for most people, real estate is the transaction of their lifetime.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,354
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I passed three courses and only needed to take the test to be a California realtor. Its not hard

I realized if I want to be an investor it's better not to be a realtor because of disclosure issues

Agree with the room that talent is always valuable and that applies to realtors
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Most financial jobs are similar like Real Estate, Mortgage Lending, Insurance etc. A couple hundred bucks and a multiple choice computer test for you license and it seems like any place will hire people with a pulse as long as they are cheery in the interview, regardless if they actually have any sales skills. Then they wonder why their turnover is so high year in year out.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I passed three courses and only needed to take the test to be a California realtor. Its not hard

I realized if I want to be an investor it's better not to be a realtor because of disclosure issues

Agree with the room that talent is always valuable and that applies to realtors

I got a license once in Utard. Thought I might go into commercial before realizing I could starve for a year or two.

You wouldn't believe (actually you would) the percentage of mouth breathers and booger eaters taking the courses.