Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

OFFICIAL - Business 'Book Report' Thread

13»

Comments

• pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,681
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

3 chapters in. I might need to ask the teacher for an extension. Enjoying this. Def going to have to reread and take notes so I can outsmart people. Just enjoying the story this go round.

How are we supposed to do that?
    Have you given up on HCH Book Club?
  • dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,704
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

3 chapters in. I might need to ask the teacher for an extension. Enjoying this. Def going to have to reread and take notes so I can outsmart people. Just enjoying the story this go round.

Huh?
    Founders Club

Huh?
    Keep reading.

How > Why

Swaye's Wigwam
    pawz said:

Huh?
    Keep reading.

How > Why

Still lost.
    Founders Club

pawz said:

Huh?
    Keep reading.

How > Why

Still lost.
    In any interaction with someone you never want to ask a "why" question. It causes an auto-response of defensiveness in the person you are talking to. It may not be reasonable, but the limbic system in the brain doesn't always do reason.

If a co-worker walks up to you and says "why are you wearing a blue shirt?", your natural response is "what's wrong with blue?"

What, How, When queries are always better when you need to get information from a party.

The questions I asked "have you given up on ..." is a loaded question too.

I'm not going to explain this well, but it is designed to get an immediate response out of someone who might have gone silent. a) it invites someone to say No - preferred over Yes. b) It creates a sense FOMO in the person you are asking a question of. c) It does one other critical thing that I'm forgetiing this moment. Forgive me
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I blame Simon for us always focusing on the why 😆. Who would’ve thought one stupid question would make one man so rich.
  • backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,785
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    Might join this to supplement some of my classes. Any suggestions on where I should start?
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Yea, the book we’re? Reading. Or trying to read.
    Founders Club

Might join this to supplement some of my classes. Any suggestions on where I should start?

https://www.amazon.com/Never-Split-Difference-Negotiating-Depended/dp/0062407805/ref=sr_1_1
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,397
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    This thread reminded me that I have an Amazon Audible account and am racking up credits and not using them. Ordered Never Split the Difference on audio. Approximately 30 minutes each way commute, so I should be through it in about 3 weeks.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

This thread reminded me that I have an Amazon Audible account and am racking up credits and not using them. Ordered Never Split the Difference on audio. Approximately 30 minutes each way commute, so I should be through it in about 3 weeks.

Go 1.5x if that's an option on Audible.
  • BuffBuffPassBuffBuffPass Member Posts: 322
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    All of Taleb's Incerto series: Antifragile, Skin in the Game, Black Swan and Fooled by Randomness. Just don't follow him on Twitter. He's an emotional nutjob on there but presents generally good ideas in his books.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Applying for a position I might not yet be qualified for. Was getting ghosted but told by the recruiter, who I’ve worked with for many years, that my initial interview and panel interview went well. They had brought a different applicant to market but not me. After two VM’s not returned I wrote the hiring manager and went for no. I have a zoom on Monday that will determine if an in-market makes sense.

Have about 4 chapters left so might get done in time.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    pawz said:

pawz said:

Huh?
    Keep reading.

How > Why

Still lost.
    In any interaction with someone you never want to ask a "why" question. It causes an auto-response of defensiveness in the person you are talking to. It may not be reasonable, but the limbic system in the brain doesn't always do reason.

If a co-worker walks up to you and says "why are you wearing a blue shirt?", your natural response is "what's wrong with blue?"

What, How, When queries are always better when you need to get information from a party.

The questions I asked "have you given up on ..." is a loaded question too.

I'm not going to explain this well, but it is designed to get an immediate response out of someone who might have gone silent. a) it invites someone to say No - preferred over Yes. b) It creates a sense FOMO in the person you are asking a question of. c) It does one other critical thing that I'm forgetiing this moment. Forgive me
    I just reread this and figured out what the fuck was going on. Damn...
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Went for no again. Used the part about the kid negotiating his strengths as well as how she would be my mentor to overshadow my lack of experience in one aspect of the role. Went for no again... assuming I pass the behavioral test they’ll schedule an in-market. 81% chance I register as a serial killer and don’t go to market.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,397
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    I finished listening to the book. Will probably listen back again. It was a good "read."
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited May 2021
    pawz said:

pawz said:

Tim to revitalize the Official HH Book Club. As such, I've picked: Never Split the Difference.

For Book Club, we will give you heathens til Monday May 17th to acquire a copy and read it. The book is also available in audio. Additionally CV has given many a lecture so the material is out there on youtube.

Maybe as a bonus for those that participate, we will have @Doog_de_Jour read a chapter in Late Night FM DJ Voice.

NSTD has received critical acclaim from noted luminaries: @Doog_de_Jour @GrundleStiltzkin

I just got done reading this too. Thank you @pawz. I appreciated how Voss acknowledged (unlike most business books) that there *is* quite a bit of emotion involved in negotiating. I almost wish we could do this as a book club selection.

And @pawz that book was teh tehts, thanks again. I'm going to order a paperback copy, there's a lot I'd like to reference back to, and audiobook just ain't so good at that.

I look forward to hearing from those of you who can participate and use the source material to your negotiating benefit. It is powerful stuff. I truly use it ever day.

See you's heathens on May 17th!

So I’ve been at the truck stop all night with my book and note pad. Where are you guysm?
    Founders Club
    @GrundleStiltzkin @BleachedAnusDawg @dirtysouwfdawg and my other poodcast guysm.

This is the best interview I've heard of Chris Voss. He really gets into the nuance.

https://youtu.be/GwKoxnIvZJI
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I’m finally on the last chapter 😄