Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Developing

2»

Comments

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

247: Urban Meyer said no to Texas, top two choices are James Franklin and Cristobal.

Canzano: Oregon and Cristobal working on extension.

Auburn fans: Cristobal is popular choice but unsure if he would consider leaving Oregon for Auburn.

Favorite conspiracy theory: Alabama booster club working to keep Mario away from Auburn.

Me: Texas is dumb. Throw all the money at Dan Mullen or hire Matt Campbell.

2016 Oregon: Fucked up hiring of Dan Mullen. Everything was ready and job accepted, and a certain fired someone in the AD had to go and start leaking before Mullen’s very specific conditions were met.

Florida is a better job than Texas. You have all you need there to win, and they play in a real conference.

But getting Mullen would be a great hire ... for anybody. I regret Miami didn't land him when the job was open and he was available.
    Everyone says they should have hired Mullen now. Not when he was available. Not even Florida other than he coached Tebow or something
    True. He wasn't a hot commodity. But maybe a warm one. He was well regarded for what he did at MSU, or wherever.

Anyway, he's better than Manny.
  • Options

247: Urban Meyer said no to Texas, top two choices are James Franklin and Cristobal.

Canzano: Oregon and Cristobal working on extension.

Auburn fans: Cristobal is popular choice but unsure if he would consider leaving Oregon for Auburn.

Favorite conspiracy theory: Alabama booster club working to keep Mario away from Auburn.

Me: Texas is dumb. Throw all the money at Dan Mullen or hire Matt Campbell.

2016 Oregon: Fucked up hiring of Dan Mullen. Everything was ready and job accepted, and a certain fired someone in the AD had to go and start leaking before Mullen’s very specific conditions were met.

Florida is a better job than Texas. You have all you need there to win, and they play in a real conference.

But getting Mullen would be a great hire ... for anybody. I regret Miami didn't land him when the job was open and he was available.
    Florida over Texas is debatable. More money, over involved boosters even by places that care standards but also more money, own TV network, your toughest competition is Oklahoma, recruiting ceiling is even higher.

If Florida left the SEC the conference would be sad, if Texas left the Big-12 they would be dead. You can literally bully the entire conference.

If Mullen is offered a significant raise and guarantee he would be a fool to not take their $50-70 million or whatever they would give him.
    For money, yeah. I actually don't think it's a better job and I don't think the recruiting ceiling is higher. It doens't really get any better than were he is.
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,515
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

Jimbo took the money and ran to A&M when FSU was a better job as far as winning. He traded Clemson for Bama.

There was a lot more to it than that, including his now ex wife cuckolding him with young FSU coaches (non fball)
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,358
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    ntxduck said:

Jimbo took the money and ran to A&M when FSU was a better job as far as winning. He traded Clemson for Bama.

There was a lot more to it than that, including his now ex wife cuckolding him with young FSU coaches (non fball)
    Soccer coach?
  • Options
    edited December 2020

ntxduck said:

Soccer coach?
    Well, even worse. At least two dudes.

First is Taylor Jacobs, former NFL WR and Florida Gator.

Second is, get this, a guy named Owen Long. Yep. That's his name. And to make matters worse, he's a tennis guy.

I'm not sure why this makes it worse for me, but don't they have a young kid who has some rare blood disorder or something? I know stress and tragedy tends to fuck up the family unit, but JFC, the kid is dealing with enough and now you give him a broken home and a whore for a mom? Nice chick.

I worked with a dude who had (still has) a severely special needs kid and his wife deals with it the same way by fucking the tennis pro. Seriously, how do you let yourself become such a cliche?
  • Options
    rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,021
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes

whats the backstory here?
  • Options

I hadn't heard this either.
  • Options
    RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

Short version: Dan Mullen agreed to be Oregon’s coach, but the deal fell through for several reasons.

Long version: Oregon’s first choice was Chip Kelly and Phil Knight and Pat Kilkenny started making overtures to him before Helf was fired. Kelly was in his first year with the 49ers where he was sure he was getting one or two more years to turn them around and couldn’t decide if he wanted to go back.

Kelly suggested Dan Mullen, who knew each other since the 90s. Kelly helped get Mullen an assistant job at Columbia, where Chip had worked before. Mullen then managed to become a GA at Notre Dame while Urban was an assistant there and then those two became connected. Easy to sell to Phil Knight since he knew Mullen before Chip, and loved Urban Meyer.

Oregon still needed to go through the motions. It would look bad if the coaching search process was done without the AD, who happened to be the chair of the playoff committee that year. Because Oregon law is that a qualified minority candidate has to be interviewed. Previously Pep Hamilton has been a good sport and took those interviews for Oregon.

Mullen wanted the fuck out of Starkville for years at that point, common knowledge. He was making $4 something million, and with Oregon’s income tax he wasn’t going to be getting a huge raise. Details were being hammered out. The whole thing was on pause while everything was getting worked out.

Ugh this is getting too long I’ll wrap it up: since AD Rob Mullens was doing his committee shit an assistant AD was more involved than what he would usually be in this situation. He got giddy or some other stupid shit and on purpose or accident let the Dan Mullen shit leak. Problem 1: Dan Mullen never let anyone at Miss State know. His AD had left for Florida that month. He’s now pissed because part of the deal is he gets to do shit on his own terms. Problem 2: Token interview not conducted.

Conclusion: pissed off Dan Mullen, Willie is actually liked because he can sell a monthly shipment of condoms to a nunnery, assistant AD becomes persona non grata and for his years of burying bodies gets to leave in a gracious way 12 months later with a non-renewal instead of a firing.
  • Options

Short version: Dan Mullen agreed to be Oregon’s coach, but the deal fell through for several reasons.

Long version: Oregon’s first choice was Chip Kelly and Phil Knight and Pat Kilkenny started making overtures to him before Helf was fired. Kelly was in his first year with the 49ers where he was sure he was getting one or two more years to turn them around and couldn’t decide if he wanted to go back.

Kelly suggested Dan Mullen, who knew each other since the 90s. Kelly helped get Mullen an assistant job at Columbia, where Chip had worked before. Mullen then managed to become a GA at Notre Dame while Urban was an assistant there and then those two became connected. Easy to sell to Phil Knight since he knew Mullen before Chip, and loved Urban Meyer.

Oregon still needed to go through the motions. It would look bad if the coaching search process was done without the AD, who happened to be the chair of the playoff committee that year. Because Oregon law is that a qualified minority candidate has to be interviewed. Previously Pep Hamilton has been a good sport and took those interviews for Oregon.

Mullen wanted the fuck out of Starkville for years at that point, common knowledge. He was making $4 something million, and with Oregon’s income tax he wasn’t going to be getting a huge raise. Details were being hammered out. The whole thing was on pause while everything was getting worked out.

Ugh this is getting too long I’ll wrap it up: since AD Rob Mullens was doing his committee shit an assistant AD was more involved than what he would usually be in this situation. He got giddy or some other stupid shit and on purpose or accident let the Dan Mullen shit leak. Problem 1: Dan Mullen never let anyone at Miss State know. His AD had left for Florida that month. He’s now pissed because part of the deal is he gets to do shit on his own terms. Problem 2: Token interview not conducted.

Conclusion: pissed off Dan Mullen, Willie is actually liked because he can sell a monthly shipment of condoms to a nunnery, assistant AD becomes persona non grata and for his years of burying bodies gets to leave in a gracious way 12 months later with a non-renewal instead of a firing.
    Mullen's good. I don't know what kind of recruiter he is. Less of a problem at Flo-rida and would have been a negative at Oregon if he didn't have those chops.