Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

ULOFOSHIO

Comments

• Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,549
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    dnc said:

dnc said:

chuck said:

Gregory would be an easy one to upgrade. He gets decent grades for coaching and development but failing grade at building a complete LB corps.

2019 was just the disastrous culmination of what he built. In his fifth season as UW'S LB coach he had middling RS freshmen, Kyler Manu, a promising but injured true freshman, and a walk on who he was reluctant to play ahead of completely inept upperclassmen that represented his career at UW from 2014-2019. It doesn't represent a single down year, but a five year failure to establish a talented and competent unit.

Six years in UW has one...one...one good LB. People pine for Heimuli and Calvert...again a couple of freshmen...because there's nobody else on the depth chart showing much promise. There are no good upperclassmen and the second and third year guys, aside from the walkon he stumbled into, all suck or need more time. It takes more than one good LB on the team and more than two good players recruited and developed over six years or the position coach is due some criticism. If the situation isn't on Gregory, who is it on?

Exactly.

It would be one thing to hand-wave away 2019 if it were the result of some fluky amount of injuries and transfers but no- you nailed it chuck. It was the result of a five year failure in recruiting and roster management that everyone (other than PGOS) saw coming.

We've actually been very lucky with the lack of attrition at LB- things could have been a lot worse. Azeem's injury and drop off hurt but Bierria never missed a game. Tevis moved around position wise but missed just two games in four years. The only game BBK missed in four years was the 2015 bowl game. The drop-off if BBK had been injured in 2017 or 2018 would have been massive. Our backups in 2018 were Manu and a walk on (not Eddy.)

Beavers was lost to a medical retirement. He may have made a small difference in 2019- I did like him- but he was never a world beater.

We lost just one LB to the portal that I can recall...Milo Eifler....who is now a backup at Illinois as a fifth year senior.

Yes, things are looking up for the foreseeable future with two young starters and a number of young talented players on the roster...but if the process doesn't change we will likely end up in the same position again in the future. The 2020 and 2021 recruiting results indicate the process likely hasn't changed.
    Beavers started against Bama and looked legit.

I wish the other position groups got this same kind of criticism. They dont. Lb has been better than oline, wr, qb. 2019's debacle was mostly on the offense.
    Now we're getting somewhere. While Bob has been here:

We fired an OL coach.

We fired two WR coaches.

We fired a QB coach and lost another one to the Beavs.
    Yup. Necessary changes. If one down year results in getting fired than fire everyone who was involved in 8-5 in 2019 should be fired. Including Jimmy whose defense couldnt get off the fucking field when it mattered most.

Unlike those fired coaches Bob has produced some great units. This year looks pretty good so far with the potential to be stellar if Sirmon figures it out.

You dont fire a coach that produces a good to stellar unit.

The hate for Bob has never made any fucking sense. Many would prefer the swaggy recruiter who sucks as a coach and should switch their fan allegiance to USC.
    Last year wasn't one down year. It was a complete failure at the position.

Yes everyone produces a bad year now and then. That was miles worse than a bad year.
    Okay...and how is it looking this year?
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    One great spot and one bad spot with no reason to be excited about any of the backups.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    dnc said:

One great spot and one bad spot with no reason to be excited about any of the backups.

Sirmon is not bad. He is average right now with high upside if he can finish plays.

The backups are all highly rated or had a lot of P5 offers and are legit prospects like Tuputala. How the fuck is there no reason for excitement?
  • Options

dnc said:

Sirmon is not bad. He is average right now with high upside if he can finish plays.

The backups are all highly rated or had a lot of P5 offers and are legit prospects like Tuputala. How the fuck is there no reason for excitement?
    I mean they haven’t yet shown anything on the field worth getting excited about. I wouldn’t think of referencing recruiting hype in a conversation with you.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    dnc said:

dnc said:

I mean they haven’t yet shown anything on the field worth getting excited about. I wouldn’t think of referencing recruiting hype in a conversation with you.
    Recruiting absolutely matters. It just isn't the end all be all. Its one ingredient in the successful program recipe to use a 75k analogy
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,708
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

dnc said:

This is what I can’t get on board with. Let the RS-FR finish the season. Way too early to be saying anything about the back ups. You really think 1 or 2 of the four RS-FR (5 if you count Fowler) wont be good?

ZTF didn’t do anything until this year and had a hard time getting on the field last year. Myles Rice got a little playing time over him early in the year last year. Guys will develop.
    I stated that I do like the young depth on the roster right now.

But looking ahead we are already seeing the same process and the same results again that led us to the 2019 debacle in the first place (and could have wrecked any of the previous years with the loss of just one key guy.)

Bob is starting to stack up the recruiting misses again in 2020 and 2021. What is going to change?
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    edited December 2020
    retard formatting...Fuck Vanilla... Ill try again
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537

Gregory blew it in recruiting for a few years. Losing Kaho hurt too although he’s not even that good. It’s been fixed. We have Ulo balling, Sirmon improving and a glut of young guys, some of whom were highly rated but are behind the lowest rated guy in Tup as the backup. Give them a year and get back to me.

Bob could have been deservedly fired, but thinking he’s horrible is are stretching it. He’s been a good coordinator, coached many good players, and has been a part of a very successful defensive staff for years.

Rewatch the Utah game and you can see that Sirmon has improved quite a bit, he isn't the all pac12 type ILB everybody has come to expect at UW every year, but I could see him getting there his senior year. He is consistently making good tackles sideline to sideline and next year he will only be a RS Soph.

(Now that I have said this Im sure he will get rolled against stanford.)
  • Options

dnc said:

This is what I can’t get on board with. Let the RS-FR finish the season. Way too early to be saying anything about the back ups. You really think 1 or 2 of the four RS-FR (5 if you count Fowler) wont be good?

ZTF didn’t do anything until this year and had a hard time getting on the field last year. Myles Rice got a little playing time over him early in the year last year. Guys will develop.
    I am sure someone will emerge. Just saying there’s no one who looks poised to blow up like Uko did last year. We were screaming play him more because he was obviously superior to the guys ahead of him. I don’t love Sirmon but no one has shown me anything to say he shouldn’t be starting.

The biggest issue is all the depth are freshman.
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    BaldwinIV said:

As a longtime lurker, I can confidently say that BTP has one of the worst batting percentages of anyone on the boards. He's almost as reliably wrong as the TSIO guys are with their coordinator evaluations...

Yup. Bob Gregory is the worst coordinator of all time but lets wait for years 17 of Will Harris to do anything recruiting wise because he posts cool "fast strategy" videos of driving in his car listening to 2pac.
    pretty sure harris gets constantly shat on and is universally hated because he sucks at recruiting. did you take a 3 year break from the pedo board or something
    Negative. Just relaying a take that BTP had in one of the game threads about LIPO with Harris still. The quote was about BTPs hot takes after all, not about the entire pedo board.
  • Options

dnc said:

I stated that I do like the young depth on the roster right now.

But looking ahead we are already seeing the same process and the same results again that led us to the 2019 debacle in the first place (and could have wrecked any of the previous years with the loss of just one key guy.)

Bob is starting to stack up the recruiting misses again in 2020 and 2021. What is going to change?
    The balance is a fair criticism but we already have a ton of ILB’s right now. 5 RS-FR counting Fowler and they will still all be RS-FR next year.

Getting an overrated Julian Simon that honestly imo will never be a Pac 12 starter doesn’t really help. We don’t have room to be bringing in multiple guys at ILB right now.
    Agree Simon is probably overrated...but Latu isn't?

Botelho, Herbig, Calvert, even Reynolds...I like Cooper but it is tough to miss on all the guys we miss on especially when we aren't even in consideration for all the elite guys Oregon and USC are signing- Sewell, Flowe, Brown, Gaoteote...
    Wynden is the biggest miss this year