Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The City of Seattle’s Relationship With UW & UW Football

Comments

• Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

AEB said:

I grew up in Sacramento, but always had strong ties to Seattle as my Mom immigrated to America through Seattle. I grew up loving UW as both parents went there. My freshman year was Fall ‘94, and I partied in Seattle U one Friday night with some girls I knew from Sac. Crashed with them and took the bus back to the UW District Saturday morning first thing. I’ll never forget going up Broadway on the bus - the street had purple and gold banners flying from the lamp posts. Old people. Young people. Everyone slowly started to board the bus as we moved north all dressed in Husky attire. It was amazing. Purple and Gold on lampposts on Broadway heading north. Everyone cared. So cool.

That must’ve been cool. You’re now even hard pressed to find UW banners on the Ave, never mind Boardway.
    *Boredwhey
    😂 I laffed.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

As someone who was born at the tail end of the 80’s and grew up in NE Seattle most people I grew up with were big Dawg fans by individual family ties or just due to proximity to UW other than those that had other PNW affiliations. The head of the Tyee club lived on my street growing up and his son and I were close which rubbed off on my brothers and I as well as my mom being an alum.

People that were born and grew up in my part of the city are still generally big UW fans regardless of if they went to UW or not. Also a ton of alums still live in NE Seattle, versus other parts of the city which I doubt care as much about UW. Where the Seahawks have picked up massively from what I have seen is people who moved into the city from outside the region who didn’t already have an NFL teams and disaffected UW fans from the Gilby / Ty era, some of whom while still UW fans are now bigger Seahawks fans. With the final population being non college educated non city dwelling fans who have moved solidly into the fanatical 12’s camp. Most of my friends and family enjoy both teams but if we had to only follow one it would be UW and it wouldn’t be a question.

Also I as UW admits more international and out of state students while some develop an affinity for UW sports many could care less.

Sounds like they care!
  • Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,062
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Just looked up 88 dwags. They lost 5 games by a combined total of 15 points. What a heartbreaking season.

As someone who was born at the tail end of the 80’s and grew up in NE Seattle most people I grew up with were big Dawg fans by individual family ties or just due to proximity to UW other than those that had other PNW affiliations. The head of the Tyee club lived on my street growing up and his son and I were close which rubbed off on my brothers and I as well as my mom being an alum.

People that were born and grew up in my part of the city are still generally big UW fans regardless of if they went to UW or not. Also a ton of alums still live in NE Seattle, versus other parts of the city which I doubt care as much about UW. Where the Seahawks have picked up massively from what I have seen is people who moved into the city from outside the region who didn’t already have an NFL teams and disaffected UW fans from the Gilby / Ty era, some of whom while still UW fans are now bigger Seahawks fans. With the final population being non college educated non city dwelling fans who have moved solidly into the fanatical 12’s camp. Most of my friends and family enjoy both teams but if we had to only follow one it would be UW and it wouldn’t be a question.

Also as UW admits more international and out of state students while some develop an affinity for UW sports many could care less.

Bryant eckstein roosevelt or private schools?
  • Options
    Edwin_BambinoEdwin_Bambino Member Posts: 2,943
    edited October 2020

Just looked up 88 dwags. They lost 5 games by a combined total of 15 points. What a heartbreaking season.

Also as UW admits more international and out of state students while some develop an affinity for UW sports many could care less.

View Ridge instead of Bryant but other than that nailed it.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,472
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Which city in China is Seattle's sister city?
  • Options
    Edwin_BambinoEdwin_Bambino Member Posts: 2,943

As an old-time Seattleite that grew up in Montlake my perspective is a little different regarding the Seattle sports scene.

Picture this:
    in the 50's the big thing in Seattle was hydro racing ~ the city was NUTS about the rivalry with detroit and the gold cup was the thing that the entire town stopped and watched on the local boats, along the shoreline or on TV. TV was NEW... think about that. The most exciting TV ads were the local dairy ads for cottage cheese because the color guns on the new color tv's were out of alignment and so the cottage cheese ads looked like rainbow-colored product offerings. Cool.

Seattle was a small town that basically stopped at the city limits which was around the 7/11 on aurora that people in here are fond of referring to. Bellevue was a cow town that you needed to plan a day trip to get to because the bridge didn't exist yet. The freeway system through Seattle was just being built.

Seattle was a major league west coast city from a sports perspective in the sense that the PCL baseball league consisted of all of the major west coast teams... LA, SF, San Diego, Portland, Seattle and Vancouver BC. Throw in the Salt lake city Bees and the Hawaii Islanders and that was the league.

Same with hockey... the Western Hockey league was killer with LA, SF, Portland, Seattle and Vancouver BC and the local Canucks were a dynamite team. Seattle was definitely a great hockey town and the old ice arena really rocked... Yow, it was exciting to watch the long slap shots from the blue line amidst the smoke and air horns.

UW crew was a really big deal... it was the Dawgs and Cal vs the eastern powers of Harvard and some of the other IVY league schools.

The NFL didn't really exist on the west coast until the 49ers and Rams were introduced on the west coast... so you had your choice of which of those two teams were your local favorite.

So, the college football scene was the only game in town throughout most of the west. West coast football was a regional affair ~ UCLA, USC, Washington and Cal were the teams of note but the big ten and the big 12 were really the teams that mattered nationally. No one really expected the west coast teams to do much from a national perspective until the west coast teams actually started to do something unusual ~ some of the teams started to throw the football, sometimes as much as 20X a game [origins of the so-called West Coast Offense]

Some of the games were televised but until ABC sports started televising national games, football was all about going to the game. The metro league was an important part of the Dawgs recruiting footprint. In those days the Metro league was the best part of the local football scene, and there was a city vs state all-star game at the end of the season that the City team was usually the winner of.

It was one platoon football, the teams were small and the schedule often included luminary offerings ~ Here is the 1957 schedule:

University of Colorado SEP 21 ~ SEATTLE, WASH.
    MINNESOTA SEP 28 ~ At MINNEAPOLIS AND SAINT PAUL, MINN.
    OHIO STATE OCT 5 ~ SEATTLE, WASH.
    UCLA OCT 12 ~ AT UCLA LOS ANGELES, CALIF.
    Stanford OCT 19 ~ SEATTLE, WASH.
    Oregon State OCT 26 ~ SEATTLE, WASH.
    University of Southern California NOV 2 ~ SEATTLE, WASH.
    University of Oregon NOV 9 ~ AT EUGENE, ORE.
    University of California NOV 16 ~ AT BERKELEY, CALIF.
    Washington State NOV 23 ~ SEATTLE, WASH.

When you read Boys in the Boys, Daniel James, describes there being like multiple reporters from the Seattle PI and Times covering the first day of Frosh Crew try outs in 1932-33. At my first day of practice for UW row boat, NOC. Lulz.

Sad how far row boat has fallen in the hearts and minds of sports fans.
    Getting blisters on your ass from being on the erg so long was great selling point I always thought
  • Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,062
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

View Ridge instead of Bryant but other than that nailed it.
    I was confusing the head of Tyee that lived in View Ridge and the head of the alumni association in Bryant.
  • Options
    seatownfunkseatownfunk Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 802
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    As a Thurston County kid born and reared in '77, the dawgs really only had this region locked up from 1989-1993. The Hawks had been #1 since '83-90, minus the '85 Orange Bowl and Natty. '82 Rose Bowl was all Dawgs. The '89 Freedom Bowl was a sea change.

Holmgren and the New Stadium won over the rabid South King County fan base and they never looked back. It's like Halloween every home game. Most rational Puget Sounders from my era love both teams almost equally, with the most successful always being more popular...unless you went to UW and are deathly ill from HUSKY FEVER!

I was a Hawk from birth till the Freedom Bowl. Now I am ALL DAWG and the hawks had actually dropped to 5th behind UWFB, UWMB, Sonics and Mariners before Holmgrem showed up.

The Biggest game in town growing up was always Seattle/Denver and Capital/Olympia. Capital/Tumwater was never a contest until '93 but the T-Birds were the BEST TEAM IN THE STATE!
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,780

As a Thurston County kid born and reared in '77, the dawgs really only had this region locked up from 1989-1993. The Hawks had been #1 since '83-90, minus the '85 Orange Bowl and Natty. '82 Rose Bowl was all Dawgs. The '89 Freedom Bowl was a sea change.

Holmgren and the New Stadium won over the rabid South King County fan base and they never looked back. It's like Halloween every home game. Most rational Puget Sounders from my era love both teams almost equally, with the most successful always being more popular...unless you went to UW and are deathly ill from HUSKY FEVER!

I was a Hawk from birth till the Freedom Bowl. Now I am ALL DAWG and the hawks had actually dropped to 5th behind UWFB, UWMB, Sonics and Mariners before Holmgrem showed up.

The Biggest game in town growing up was always Seattle/Denver and Capital/Olympia. Capital/Tumwater was never a contest until '93 but the T-Birds were the BEST TEAM IN THE STATE!

With all due respect - went to school with some Capital guys.

Those were some of the dumbest motherfuckers the Throbber has ever encountered. Good guys, good drinkers but if the conversation went beyond "Uh....uh.....BEER BONG!!", forget it.

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    whlinder said:

1999 Seacocks won the AFC (yes AFC) West at 9-7. And had home games blacked out from not selling out. UW And slick Rick was the hot ticket.

It took Washington sucking cock at football and the Hawks (“It’s NOW time!!!1one!!!”) being decent in a shitty NFC to flip the script in the mid 2000s with a fancy new stadium that pumped in noise. 12s!

Seattle was always, ALWAYS a Husky town before then. Now I don’t know if it will ever be that again, with Russell being a really good QB and the Pac-12 not caring about football. Everyone likes winners which was Washington and not the Hawks until about 18 years ago. I hope Russell loses both his legs to a flesh eating bacteria and Pete Carroll retires to live with his lesbian lover.

Went to a Seahawks game in Carroll’s first year. Stadium was maybe 2/3rds full. Drunk asshole in Steelers Jersey a few rows in front of me. Nobody bothered him.

The next year (2011), i was by the Stadium and about to take a $150 cab ride to Tacoma after a night of drinking in Seattle. Instead, once I got by the Stadium, I bought scalper tickets. Second row, 40 yard line of the 2nd deck. Cost me $20.

I see how much Seahawks tickets are going for on the secondary market and it’s crazy to me. They weren’t really a hot item until the Super Bowl year.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,794
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    I like football
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,794
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

As an old-time Seattleite that grew up in Montlake my perspective is a little different regarding the Seattle sports scene.

Picture this:
    in the 50's the big thing in Seattle was hydro racing ~ the city was NUTS about the rivalry with detroit and the gold cup was the thing that the entire town stopped and watched on the local boats, along the shoreline or on TV. TV was NEW... think about that. The most exciting TV ads were the local dairy ads for cottage cheese because the color guns on the new color tv's were out of alignment and so the cottage cheese ads looked like rainbow-colored product offerings. Cool.

Seattle was a small town that basically stopped at the city limits which was around the 7/11 on aurora that people in here are fond of referring to. Bellevue was a cow town that you needed to plan a day trip to get to because the bridge didn't exist yet. The freeway system through Seattle was just being built.

Seattle was a major league west coast city from a sports perspective in the sense that the PCL baseball league consisted of all of the major west coast teams... LA, SF, San Diego, Portland, Seattle and Vancouver BC. Throw in the Salt lake city Bees and the Hawaii Islanders and that was the league.

Same with hockey... the Western Hockey league was killer with LA, SF, Portland, Seattle and Vancouver BC and the local Canucks were a dynamite team. Seattle was definitely a great hockey town and the old ice arena really rocked... Yow, it was exciting to watch the long slap shots from the blue line amidst the smoke and air horns.

UW crew was a really big deal... it was the Dawgs and Cal vs the eastern powers of Harvard and some of the other IVY league schools.

The NFL didn't really exist on the west coast until the 49ers and Rams were introduced on the west coast... so you had your choice of which of those two teams were your local favorite.

So, the college football scene was the only game in town throughout most of the west. West coast football was a regional affair ~ UCLA, USC, Washington and Cal were the teams of note but the big ten and the big 12 were really the teams that mattered nationally. No one really expected the west coast teams to do much from a national perspective until the west coast teams actually started to do something unusual ~ some of the teams started to throw the football, sometimes as much as 20X a game [origins of the so-called West Coast Offense]

Some of the games were televised but until ABC sports started televising national games, football was all about going to the game. The metro league was an important part of the Dawgs recruiting footprint. In those days the Metro league was the best part of the local football scene, and there was a city vs state all-star game at the end of the season that the City team was usually the winner of.

It was one platoon football, the teams were small and the schedule often included luminary offerings ~ Here is the 1957 schedule:

University of Colorado SEP 21 ~ SEATTLE, WASH.
    MINNESOTA SEP 28 ~ At MINNEAPOLIS AND SAINT PAUL, MINN.
    OHIO STATE OCT 5 ~ SEATTLE, WASH.
    UCLA OCT 12 ~ AT UCLA LOS ANGELES, CALIF.
    Stanford OCT 19 ~ SEATTLE, WASH.
    Oregon State OCT 26 ~ SEATTLE, WASH.
    University of Southern California NOV 2 ~ SEATTLE, WASH.
    University of Oregon NOV 9 ~ AT EUGENE, ORE.
    University of California NOV 16 ~ AT BERKELEY, CALIF.
    Washington State NOV 23 ~ SEATTLE, WASH.

You’re old af
  • Options
    thechatchthechatch Member Posts: 5,548
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    UW has become more of an international/commuter school. The campus connection to athletics is night and day from when I was in school 20 years ago.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited October 2020
    When I was a kid down on the Harb, the Huskies were the game in town. The Hawks were a fledgling expansion franchise struggling for respect.

Things really changed with the Hawks in '83 when they beat Don Shula and the Miami Dolphins in the playoffs. To me, that first (I think it was their first) playoff run really got everyone in the PNW to rally around the Hawks. Getting to and finally winning a SB and all that and now being one of the League's legitimately premier franchises has obviously kicked it up a notch.

Seems to me that if UW is even mildly competitive they are on par with the Seahawks as a draw and source of pride. But against every bias in my brain, I have to admit it's hard to make the case now that the UW is the real town favorite. The Hawks have had too much success and people like a winner ... even in Seattle.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,170
    Swaye's Wigwam

When I was a kid down on the Harb, the Huskies were the game in town. The Hawks were a fledgling expansion franchise struggling for respect.

Things really changed with the Hawks in '83 when they beat Don Shula and the Miami Dolphins. To me, that first (I think it was their first) playoff run really got everyone in the PNW to rally around the Hawks. Getting to and finally winning a SB and all that and now being one of the League's legitimately premier franchises has obviously kicked it up a notch.

Seems to me that if UW is even mildly competitive they are on par with the Seahawks as a draw and source of pride. But against every bias in my brain, I have to admit it's hard to make the case now that the UW is the real town favorite. The Hawks have had too much success and people like a winner ... even in Seattle.

The year after the DAWGS won the Orange Bowl in Miami while the Hawks lost to Marino

The 83 Hawks beat the Raiders twice in the regular season then got blown out in the AFC title game

Wouldn’t surprise me if the Hawks are more popular now

Hell the Trojans are losing out to the Rams