Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Jason Whitlock: Colin Kaepernick is a fraud

Comments

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

dnc said:

SFGbob said:

Swaye said:

dnc said:

Swaye said:

Great graphic and HOLY SHIT, I had no idea more slaves went to South America and the West Indies than the rest of the world by a factor of like 10. Brazil needs to pay reparations stat!

Yeah Brazil was the worst of the worst in both quantity and length. Rio De Janeiro alone had more slaves come through it's port than most other nations of the world (including the US).

It's grim.

What were they doing down there? We have cotton in the US and Sugar Cane in the indies, what was slavery used for in Brazil (and how could you need 5 MILLION people to do it)? Is there a great wall of South America that stretches around the continent or some shit?
    Check out the numbers on the mortality rates and lifespan for African slaves that were shipped to South America and the Caribbean. One of the reasons why they needed so many of them.
    Exactly. On a global scale the lucky slaves ended up in America. It's why we have 30 million plus African Americans in this country who have a huge influence on culture, pop culture, our economy, etc.

How come Chile doesnt have many black people in it? They had the same amount of slaves as the US according to those charts...

Because the Spanish were indescribably cruel to everyone and most slaves in Spanish countries died

It is blowing my mind that more people dont know this
    Pretty sure you're reading the chart wrong on Chile. It's either .5 a million to Peru or .5 a million total to Peru and Chile, I'm not sure which. But every source I can find says a. Chile never imported nearly as many slaves as the surrounding areas because it was so poor and b. Chile was the second nation in the Americas to abolish slavery outright (after Haiti).

I'm pretty sure the Chilean slavery population was much lower than the US's but it's hard to find hard numbers.
    Great getting stuck in the minutia of the details as always. My point stands. Chile, Peru, who gives a shit? Where are they now? They died before the abolition from overwork, exhaustion, torture

This thread went from America was the fucking worst and South America did things the right way along with Europe, to splitting hairs over which shitty SA country was actually the worst for the survival of their slaves, of which they had millions more of than the US ever did.

Hth, fuck off
    Did someone actually try and make that point?

What is so complicated here? Stipulate that the US was the enlightenment that led to the global abolishment of slavery, and that the Spaniards and Dutch were way meaner slave owners than US slave owners.

It's a smudge mark on history, here and elsewhere. I accept the world was a brutal place and still can look back and think it was fucked up. That it was more fucked up elsewhere seems pertinent to a discussion about who was the most fucked up. Doesn't seem as pertinent to a discussion about slavery in the US.

And, no; before you go there, I don't subscribe to the notion that slavery in the US is why we have the issues we have today.

Well, then, you're no Anti-Racist in the eyes of Robin DiAngelo and Ibram X Kendi.

And that means you're a racist. You only get two choices, doncha know?
    [who?.gif]
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,157
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

dnc said:

dnc said:

Houhusky said:

The US didnt abolish slavery first but it was the first country founded on the ideals of the Scottish Enlightenment, natural/inalienable rights, and individual liberty.

The articles of confederation (the first Constitution of the US) was signed by 48 people from 13 states, all signers exhibited considerable aversion to slavery except for those from South Carolina and Georgia. The compromise, in 1787, was that all new states admitted to the union in what was considered then to be the Northwest territory (Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, and Wisconsin, and the part of Minnesota) would be slave free states. Haiti, significantly smaller, was the first country in the Western Hemisphere to ban slavery in 1804.

The US was ahead of its time in the ratification of law setting aside significant land that would exist as slave free. If not for having to fight the American Revolution the US would have very likely had the stomach and resources to abolish slavery outright within its boarders upon its formation.

The foundation of the country was largely set by anti slavery economists and philosophers like Adam Smith, Benjamin Rush, Arthur Lee, Samuel Adams, John Adams, Thomas Paine, and Thomas Jefferson.

This is a very quality post.

The reality of US involvement in slavery is complicated. We were basically held hostage by a fairly small minority of slave owners for a long damn time until we finally got pissed enough about it to elect a President from an abolitionist party and the slavers got so triggered that they seceded.
    Except that about 300,000 (mostly non slave owners) pour white guysm were willing fight to death to protect the property of their society's elites.

It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no fortunate son. Same as it ever was.
    A pretty good chunk of those 300,000 dead traitors were slaveholders too.

But yes there were probably 200,000 dead Rebs who didn't own slaves.

They wanted to, as you noted. Or at the least they damn sure didn't want to compete with freedmen to avoid being the bottom rung of society.
    Secessionists aren't Traitors.
    As Senator What's His Face said to in the Outlaw Josey Wales: to the victors belong the spoils.

So, the North gets to call them whatever they want; and the sons of the South have to eat it.

"Traitors" I says.
    Just don't piss down my back and tell me its raining
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,501
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Dont tread on me. Sit on my face instead
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,739
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited July 2020

dnc said:

dnc said:

Houhusky said:

The US didnt abolish slavery first but it was the first country founded on the ideals of the Scottish Enlightenment, natural/inalienable rights, and individual liberty.

The articles of confederation (the first Constitution of the US) was signed by 48 people from 13 states, all signers exhibited considerable aversion to slavery except for those from South Carolina and Georgia. The compromise, in 1787, was that all new states admitted to the union in what was considered then to be the Northwest territory (Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, and Wisconsin, and the part of Minnesota) would be slave free states. Haiti, significantly smaller, was the first country in the Western Hemisphere to ban slavery in 1804.

The US was ahead of its time in the ratification of law setting aside significant land that would exist as slave free. If not for having to fight the American Revolution the US would have very likely had the stomach and resources to abolish slavery outright within its boarders upon its formation.

The foundation of the country was largely set by anti slavery economists and philosophers like Adam Smith, Benjamin Rush, Arthur Lee, Samuel Adams, John Adams, Thomas Paine, and Thomas Jefferson.

The reality of US involvement in slavery is complicated. We were basically held hostage by a fairly small minority of slave owners for a long damn time until we finally got pissed enough about it to elect a President from an abolitionist party and the slavers got so triggered that they seceded.
    Except that about 300,000 (mostly non slave owners) pour white guysm were willing fight to death to protect the property of their society's elites.

They wanted to, as you noted. Or at the least they damn sure didn't want to compete with freedmen to avoid being the bottom rung of society.
    As Senator What's His Face said to in the Outlaw Josey Wales: to the victors belong the spoils.

So, the North gets to call them whatever they want; and the sons of the South have to eat it.

"Traitors" I says.
    So the Castro Brothers were Traitors to CUBA then? (Until they prevailed).

Are you sure that's how this works?
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,639
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited July 2020

dnc said:

dnc said:

Houhusky said:

"Traitors" I says.

You're asking the wrong guy. #severebias

Also, yes. The fate of the conquered is usually worse than some name calling. The Castro Bros got to call the losers whatever they wanted. When you win, you win.

We? think of them as traitors to the Real Cuba. Sure.gif.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Sledog said:

Liberals fucking hate Thomas Sowell and his feelings free facts
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited July 2020
    Houhusky said:

@PostGameOrangeSlices and @Swaye slavery map got me thinking... Just how much of Europe has participated in slavery in the 20th century, well after the US Civil War.

The Ottoman empire that controlled vast areas of land across the eastern Mediterranean in Europe kept slaves well into the 1910s and Turkey didnt abolish slavery until 1933.

The short stint of German colonialism into Namibia between 1894- 1918 the German colony participated in forced labor and slavery in their diamond mines. Additionally Nazi Germany participated in Slavery, and at its peak over 1/4th of all of Germany's labor came from Slaves.

The Soviet Union that took over nearly all of Eastern Europe and practiced slavery during and post WW2. They kept the slaves captured in WW2 until 1958, Russia still has forced labor camps today.

Colonial Italian controlled Somalia had widespread slavery into the 1930s.

In Spanish and French colonial controlled Morocco and Western Saharan territories slavery wasn't outlawed by the Europeans until 1925.

Upon further review it is my conclusion that @PostGameOrangeSlices assertion that slavery abolished didnt always mean slavery wasn't practiced under the authority of that country as True.

Claims of "almost the entirety' of Europe and the Americas abolished slavery before the US are only with the giant ASTERIX next the claim noting that many of the European countries only banned slavery in their homelands, outsourced the practice, and changed the name to "indentured servitude" or "forced labor" in their African colonies where they continued slavery into the 20th century.

Thanks for verifying with facts what I was getting at. Great post. Not to mention good ole Churchill forcibly starving Indians which led to millions of deaths.

Europe "abolishing" slavery while literally and figuratively raping their colonies is the equivalent of sending Thoughts and Prayers. Fucking meaningless
  • Options

dnc said:

dnc said:

Houhusky said:

"Traitors" I says.

Also, yes. The fate of the conquered is usually worse than some name calling. The Castro Bros got to call the losers whatever they wanted. When you win, you win.

Once, just once, before I die, I'd like to experience what Havana was like in the early 50's.

Cubans I've met say it was better than post-war Paris.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

dnc said:

dnc said:

Houhusky said:

They took up arms against the red white and blue.

Fucking traitors the lot of them.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Houhusky said:

@PostGameOrangeSlices and @Swaye slavery map got me thinking... Just how much of Europe has participated in slavery in the 20th century, well after the US Civil War.

The Ottoman empire that controlled vast areas of land across the eastern Mediterranean in Europe kept slaves well into the 1910s and Turkey didnt abolish slavery until 1933.

The short stint of German colonialism into Namibia between 1894- 1918 the German colony participated in forced labor and slavery in their diamond mines. Additionally Nazi Germany participated in Slavery, and at its peak over 1/4th of all of Germany's labor came from Slaves.

The Soviet Union that took over nearly all of Eastern Europe and practiced slavery during and post WW2. They kept the slaves captured in WW2 until 1958, Russia still has forced labor camps today.

In Spanish and French colonial controlled Morocco and Western Saharan territories slavery wasn't outlawed by the Europeans until 1925.

Upon further review it is my conclusion that @PostGameOrangeSlices assertion that slavery abolished didnt always mean slavery wasn't practiced under the authority of that country as True.

Claims of "almost the entirety' of Europe and the Americas abolished slavery before the US are only with the giant ASTERIX next the claim noting that many of the European countries only banned slavery in their homelands, outsourced the practice, and changed the name to "indentured servitude" or "forced labor" in their African colonies where they continued slavery into the 20th century.

M0st of the Euros you note abolished slavery then reengaged in it (thought it was of a different yet still vile form when they reengaged)

Indian givers, really.

Sadly the US human rights record wasn't exactly idyllic post slavery either, particularly towards former slaves.

This world is generally a pretty fucked up place.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,639
    dnc said:

Houhusky said:

M0st of the Euros you note abolished slavery then reengaged in it (thought it was of a different yet still vile form when they reengaged)

Indian givers, really.

Sadly the US human rights record wasn't exactly idyllic post slavery either, particularly towards former slaves.

The whole applying today's morals, standards etc. to the past doesn't work. Shit happened. Most of it got fixed and the world is a better place. That's how this whole thing works.
  • Options
    NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

dnc said:

dnc said:

Houhusky said:

"Traitors" I says.

Once, just once, before I die, I'd like to experience what Havana was like in the early 50's.

Cubans I've met say it was better than post-war Paris.
    Godfather II is a time capsule.
  • Options
    dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

Houhusky said:

They took up arms against the red white and blue.

Fucking traitors the lot of them.
    Self-Determination isn't Treason. In fact, it's something the US has supported since it's beginning.

Try again.
  • Options
    thechatchthechatch Member Posts: 5,546
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Sledog said:

Liberals fucking hate Thomas Sowell and his feelings free facts
    The fucking ULTIMATE Uncle Tom, as far as liberals are concerned.

- Educated
    - Successful
    - Conservative
    - Outspoken
    - Uncompromised

If you want to hear someone with a sociology degree from (insert state university here) instantly become an expert on Keynesian or Marxist economic theory, just mention Thomas Sowell’s name. They’d have you believe he’s Samuel L from Django Unchained.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    dnc said:

Houhusky said:

Indian givers, really.

Looks like I was right. As always
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Jim Crow and the KKK terrorizing black Americans wasn't US policy. It was southern Rat party policy.