Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Emeka Egbuka, 2021 5* WR, Steilacoom (Steilacoom HS), WA (Offered 10/20/18)

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,496
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

dnc said:

Who did this? You need to stop! I just assume we blame la mike.

That’s dope. There’s literally nothing wrong with it. Universities make designs for kids. I see nothing wrong with fan love. What kid wouldn’t want to be compared to Griffey anyways?

Y’all gotta see outside the prism of a 30-50 year old middle aged white dude.
    STOp thinking like a middle aged white dude!

Also, what kid wouldn’t want to be compared to a guy who hasnt been great since the 1990s??
    Griffey’s a cultural icon that transcends generations. Stop it.
    How many rings?
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,280
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited June 2020

This would be a great marketing ploy if they were recruiting him to play center field.

Also comparing this kid to an all-time baseball legend comes off a little desperate, and this is coming from a fan of a school that junk mails offers.

There's a fine line between showing a kid he's special and just being weird.
  • Options
    UDubHusky23UDubHusky23 Member Posts: 889
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

This would be a great marketing ploy if they were recruiting him to play center field.

Also comparing this kid to an all-time baseball legend comes off a little desperate, and this is coming from a fan of a school that junk mails offers.

He's trying to play both sports in college. Calm down and leave. Enjoy your off-season natty!
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,798
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    This is the dumbest argument ever. It’s not that serious.
  • Options
    QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member Posts: 3,121
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    I was hoping there’d be Civil War talk?
  • Options
    edited June 2020

Your? recruits sit on a weird throne with duck feet, hold a scepter and wear a plush kings robe while having a photo shoot but being compared to a great Seattle icon/athlete is weird.

suregif
    I didn't say Oregon doesn't do desperate ploys. The difference here, is photo shopping a kid to an icon of a completely different sport. Photo shop him with Doug Baldwin or Tyler Lockett, and I think it brings it more together. It makes me cringe when I see that throne crap, but if the prospects want to play along fine.

What I'm saying is, sometimes in the recruiting process it's better to consistently hit singles and double, with the occasional homer. Sometimes you can over swing, and I think they did that here. In long run, it isn't a big deal at all. They just shouldn't make a habit of it.
  • Options
    edited June 2020

He's trying to play both sports in college. Calm down and leave. Enjoy your off-season natty!
    I've been around here since Race and idawg were spooning during their podcasts, and so I think I'll stick around a little while longer. But thanks!
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

That’s dope. There’s literally nothing wrong with it. Universities make designs for kids. I see nothing wrong with fan love. What kid wouldn’t want to be compared to Griffey anyways?

And the irony is that this "edit" will appeal almost exclusively to an audience of 30-50 year old white dudes, not the 17 year old kid it is targeting. The mystique of the Ken Griffey Jr Upper Deck rookie card is cool nostalgia for guys who idolized him as kids. Unfortunately those guys are approaching 40. Baseball card collecting, card shops, shows, and the star of Griffey all died out long before Emeka was even born. Im sure he knows that Griffey was a local start, if he saw this, theres an 80% chance someone had to explain the reference to him and without familiarity or context it just looks like a somewhat shitty, confusing edit.
    Griffey’s a cultural icon. He’s like the Tiger Woods of beisbol mystique wise. Emeka plays beisbol and wants to play it at UW. I don’t see the issue. It’s a fun graphic intended to show love to the kid. Who fucking cares?
    You like beisbol.

So does Egbuka.

Most kids don’t.

hth
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,959
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    With all the posts I figured he’d committed to OSU
  • Options
    edited June 2020

He's a two sport athlete who wants to try his hand at both football and baseball in college. At UW he has the chance to play for two programs that have played in a CFB semifinal and a College World Series in the last five years. The video has Griffey making a leaping catch over the wall and Emeka making a leaping catch over a defender. Griffey is a Seattle icon, Emeka could be one if he stays home. It's fine, I like it, it makes sense. I upvoted you because you agree the throne is cringeworthy but this is not. This is a stupid argument and I'm gayer than I thought I was.

I didn't know he was serious about playing baseball in college. Would the coaches let him skip spring football?
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,576
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

He's a two sport athlete who wants to try his hand at both football and baseball in college. At UW he has the chance to play for two programs that have played in a CFB semifinal and a College World Series in the last five years. The video has Griffey making a leaping catch over the wall and Emeka making a leaping catch over a defender. Griffey is a Seattle icon, Emeka could be one if he stays home. It's fine, I like it, it makes sense. I upvoted you because you agree the throne is cringeworthy but this is not. This is a stupid argument and I'm gayer than I thought I was.

I didn't know he was serious about playing baseball in college. Would the coaches let him skip spring football?
    Lawyer Milloy did.
  • Options
    DomicilloDomicillo Member Posts: 3,025
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Apparently, Jalen McMillan already got the green light to do both if he wanted to
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,798
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    dnc said:

And the irony is that this "edit" will appeal almost exclusively to an audience of 30-50 year old white dudes, not the 17 year old kid it is targeting. The mystique of the Ken Griffey Jr Upper Deck rookie card is cool nostalgia for guys who idolized him as kids. Unfortunately those guys are approaching 40. Baseball card collecting, card shops, shows, and the star of Griffey all died out long before Emeka was even born. Im sure he knows that Griffey was a local start, if he saw this, theres an 80% chance someone had to explain the reference to him and without familiarity or context it just looks like a somewhat shitty, confusing edit.
    Griffey’s a cultural icon. He’s like the Tiger Woods of beisbol mystique wise. Emeka plays beisbol and wants to play it at UW. I don’t see the issue. It’s a fun graphic intended to show love to the kid. Who fucking cares?
    You like beisbol.

So does Egbuka.

Most kids don’t.

hth
    I hate baseball. Emeka does. It’s really not that serious. He’s not “most kids”
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

dnc said:

You like beisbol.

So does Egbuka.

Most kids don’t.

hth
    I hate baseball. Emeka does. It’s really not that serious. He’s not “most kids”
    GO NATS!!!!