Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

How Seattle Dies...

DoogieMcDoogersonDoogieMcDoogerson Member Posts: 2,488
Seattle Tech is behind the building boom in the city and the tech workers occupy a high percentage of office space. Businesses all throughout this city support the workforce. Restaurants, Bars, Barbers, etc.

Tech has just figured out that they're actually more productive working remotely and they will only cement that feeling stronger the longer the city stays shut down. Tech ain't coming back. The homeless can now have the downtown core...

The economic impact of tech pulling out of Seattle will be the end of the story...

Comments

• DoogieMcDoogersonDoogieMcDoogerson Member Posts: 2,488
    You must not work in tech...
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,506 Swaye's Wigwam

Tech is going no where any time soon. Companies still need headquarters. Teams and Zoom calls are going to get really fucking old really fast

That was the sentiment before this shit happened. Not having a commute means more working hours, people are still producing because, you know, there's evidence that you've done nothing.

Maybe the business/support sides comes back.

Dev isn't.
  • thechatchthechatch Member Posts: 5,977
    Home prices in Bellevue-Kirkland-Redmond-Issaquah about to get a big bump.
  • thechatchthechatch Member Posts: 5,977
    Lol at the idea of young people wanting to live in Tacoma.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,939
    thechatch said:

@Ballz
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,365 Swaye's Wigwam
    thechatch said:

The 253 is getting WAY nicer. UW Tacoma has completely transformed downtown - there is actually shit to do and cool bars....if any of them survive this fucking virus hoax
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,365 Swaye's Wigwam
    haie said:

Tech is going no where any time soon. Companies still need headquarters. Teams and Zoom calls are going to get really fucking old really fast

That was the sentiment before this shit happened. Not having a commute means more working hours, people are still producing because, you know, there's evidence that you've done nothing.

Dev isn't.
    The commute for most tech workers in Seattle is like 10 minutes

Amazon didnt just build 10000000000 square feet of office space to let it collect dust. Management there is notoriously micro as well. That place only employs half the fucking work force my age
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,114
    edited May 2020

haie said:

Dev isn't.

Amazon didnt just build 10000000000 square feet of office space to let it collect dust. Management there is notoriously micro as well. That place only employs half the fucking work force my age
    They're gonna sublet or convert the space to condos after the Council passes an Amazon tax.

I don't work in tech, but I am going to shift my workforce to 50% remote as a result of COVID and the West Seattle Bridge shutdown revealing that having a full-service office is a waste of fucking money. Teams and Asana (or Trello, etc) make it easier than ever to manage staff and projects. We will shift to having a "storefront" office with 3 people on-site, and the rest working from home. I might actually miss the ferry commute, though.
    edited May 2020

haie said:

Dev isn't.

They're gonna sublet or convert the space to condos after the Council passes an Amazon tax.

I don't work in tech, but I am going to shift my workforce to 50% remote as a result of COVID and the West Seattle Bridge shutdown revealing that having a full-service office is a waste of fucking money. Teams and Asana (or Trello, etc) make it easier than ever to manage staff and projects. We will shift to having a "storefront" office with 3 people on-site, and the rest working from home. I might actually miss the ferry commute, though.
    It works for some people and companies. Im doing a hybrid thing now, some days remote and some in the office.

Im a LOT more productive in the office.

I actually prefer the hybrid setup, because the days Im in the office I get everything done and the remote days I coast.

It's easy for managers to tell who is actually producing in an office as well. It's tougher remotely and they have to rely on stalking people with software like Activtrak

I think everyone would be happier with a 4 day workweek and be just as productive in many industries.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,491 Standard Supporter
    Imagine going into an office each day....

Fuck that.

• doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    Or getting “ permission” to work remote
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,823

thechatch said:

The 253 is getting WAY nicer. UW Tacoma has completely transformed downtown - there is actually shit to do and cool bars....if any of them survive this fucking virus hoax
    Sounds like downtown Tac may be becoming the next Maltby.
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,823

Fuck that.

It's been my saving grace.

My revolutionary thoughts could have easily led to action if I had to stay at home all fucking day.
  • NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972

They already are.
    Well stop whining and get used to it. Saves a shitload on overhead. The horse-and-buggy days of thousands of people working at a central location aren’t coming back to previous levels. Zoom stock has been a nice gain the last two months. Sorry you missed out on easy money.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,114

Fuck that.

Gigolo lifestyle is not for all.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,491 Standard Supporter
    doogie said:

Or getting “ permission” to work remote

Getting permission period.

Fuck that.

Ask for forgiveness instead.