Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Jabez Tinae, 2021 4* WR, Burien (Kennedy Catholic), WA (Committed)

Comments

• Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,623
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Houhusky said:

Husky fan opinions on QB’s are strange. Some will swear Keith Price was a really good QB. The same ones that say Price was good thought Taylor Kelly and Brett Hundley (both superior to Price) sucked.

HHB’s always gave Price a pass because of Sark’s trust issues comment and the Doog love of Locker. He’s always been the HalfBrain Doog Legend. He was an average QB that didn’t even last a full minicamp in the NFL. There is some merit to the fact he took a beating because of a shitty OL and wasn’t the same, but results are results and his were average.

The reality is we haven’t had a great QB since Tui. Pickett was good. After that, every QB has been pretty average and all were definitely inconsistent.

2011 Sophomore Kieth Price was a good QB...

Price put up 3000+ yards, 33TD, with a 67% completion percentage when the OL was terrible and his only offensive weapons were Polk and a fat/drunk ASJ.

That Baylor game when he outplayed RG3 by putting up 438 yards, 4 TDs, 0 INTs AND 3 rushing TDs on a half broken leg he was objectively great.

But that game broke him for the next season and he never fully recovered both from the leg injury and the yips he obviously had afterwards from running for his life.

2013 Price is also what I would classify as a decently good QB too... put up good offensive numbers throwing to Kevin Smith, Mickens, and a fatter/drunker ASJ.

I would do a lot of things to have a QB that could lead an offense to 38 points per game...

If UW had that over the past 4+ years we probably would have had a game in the national championship (or two).
    This.

My friend Roadie and I strongly disagree on Price. I understand his reasoning to an extent. Price made dumb shit playsand plays where it looked like he just gave up with increasing frequency the older and more battered he got. His fold in that AC is hard to forget.

I just think he's underrating how good he was to begin with and how good he had to be to even make the offense serviceable with how shitty the core (OL) was.
  • Options
    insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Houhusky said:

Husky fan opinions on QB’s are strange. Some will swear Keith Price was a really good QB. The same ones that say Price was good thought Taylor Kelly and Brett Hundley (both superior to Price) sucked.

HHB’s always gave Price a pass because of Sark’s trust issues comment and the Doog love of Locker. He’s always been the HalfBrain Doog Legend. He was an average QB that didn’t even last a full minicamp in the NFL. There is some merit to the fact he took a beating because of a shitty OL and wasn’t the same, but results are results and his were average.

The reality is we haven’t had a great QB since Tui. Pickett was good. After that, every QB has been pretty average and all were definitely inconsistent.

Price put up 3000+ yards, 33TD, with a 67% completion percentage when the OL was terrible and his only offensive weapons were Polk and a fat/drunk ASJ.

That Baylor game when he outplayed RG3 by putting up 438 yards, 4 TDs, 0 INTs AND 3 rushing TDs on a half broken leg he was objectively great.

But that game broke him for the next season and he never fully recovered both from the leg injury and the yips he obviously had afterwards from running for his life.

2013 Price is also what I would classify as a decently good QB too... put up good offensive numbers throwing to Kevin Smith, Mickens, and a fatter/drunker ASJ.

I would do a lot of things to have a QB that could lead an offense to 38 points per game...

If UW had that over the past 4+ years we probably would have had a game in the national championship (or two).
    IIRC, the OL went to shit after 2011 and KP hurt his knee in the 2012 opener against SDSU at the Clink. That season was as painful to watch on offense as the last two Browning seasons but at least we got to storm the field after beating Stanford and Oregon State!
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    animate said:

animate said:

Tequilla said:

I could see Chin transfer to somewhere where he can get some snaps ... not sure where he is at from a graduating standpoint

I wouldn’t be shocked if Jones walked as a senior this year ... I’ve heard some things that suggest he is playing more school than football (nothing wrong with that per se)

The depth chart will be wide open now that we’ve hopefully moved on from the seniority BS

What seniority bullshit are you talking about? Apart from the obvious misuse of WRs (opera singer in particular), there is absolutely no consistent pattern in not playing talented youngsters because of seniority. Even last year at WR position, Puka played as a true freshman. People spew nonsense without thinking or looking at the evidence. You might blame Pete for the offensive scheme which prevented young guys to excel early, but there was ZERO evidence that Pete makes personnel decision (other than QB of course) in position groups.
    You mean like Puku going in for one play ... getting a touchdown and notifying the football world that he's going to be a problem ... and then disappearing for almost the rest of the season?

That Puka?

all the while opera singer gets targeted 300x a game:

- can't break tackles
    - can't get open
    - can't run routes without being swallowed up
    - when he fucks up, smiles like he's playing a video game and is not taking life seriously ...

dude, I think you haven't been paying attention.

"no consistent pattern"?

That's fucking it.

No consistent pattern of good decision making or playcalling from bushyballs, if you remember, was the fucking OC ...

same with Peterman, if you remember, was the fucking Head Coach! Isn't he the fucking CEO? If shit is going down badly ... see Stanford game etc ...shouldn't he step in a get positive shit done!? Yeah, that guy.

The same guy from the sidelines seeing Opera Singer fuck it up over and over again. The same guy who saw Puka do a kick ass play once never to be seen again until late in the season when even the special needs kids from the local YMCA were screaming at the television to get fucking Opera out of the game and play the young talent ...

Jesus Christ.
    Are we talking about the same shit? I can see you are pissed by the CONSISTENT misuse of WRs last season and SO WAS I as I though my post made it abundantly clear.

But it should be clear that I was talking about "seniority bullshit" -- that Peterman consistently plays seniors over young guys, that was what the original post was talking about unless you are talking about Peterman only does this to WRs (but even there Puka, Aaron Fullwer all played as freshmen): Brownsox played as starting QR as a freshman ever in UW history, Nick Harris, Trey Adams started as true freshmen on offensive line, Myles Gaskin etc. Then there is the defensive side I don't think I even need to bother to list names. But all this is pointless because I believe Peter's words that he was not involved much in game day selection of positional groups over your fucking stupid baseless opinion that somehow he decided Puka play one series and then sit down the next. How the fuck you think Peterman has that kind of capacity to do this to each position group is beyond me.

But obviously I am wasting my time trying to argue with you seeing that you don't have any fucking logical sense, blast away since that's the only thing your little brain is good at.
    I made the young guys playing on offense argument here before. Even used many of the examples you made. It was brought up that Pete played his young guys over Sarks old guys. Once it was a team of Petes guys that trend seemed to slow down to a trickle on the offensive side of the ball. if you look at the last three years this plays out. On defense, best man plays. Offensively its hard to crack the two deeps. Your argument isn't wrong, it's just not entirely correct either.
    That is a good point. I just don't think it is a philosophical thing of not playing young players. On the other hand, I am 100% certain play by play decision of who to play or not on all position groups are made by position coaches for obvious reasons. How could anyone think Peterman being a head coach even has the capacity to think about individual players coming in/out of game is beyond me -- but that is either explicitly or implicitly implied by a lot of the posters here regarding Puka's (and Opera's) playing time.
    That's where you need to start thinking with your shit brain as you've said before.

- Peterman is loathe to compromise his own "process" and okg philosophy because he married both merit plus development and faith/loyalty to his players and recruits.
    - that means he doesn't want players to jump the queue unless there's no other choice and even then he'll beat a dead horse over and over again. See opera singer for example.
    - this faithful adherence to his program philosophy allows him to have relatively low levels of chaos and turmoil in his program which he can also sell to administration and the families hence the fast/slow strategy concept put forth from Pepsi and Dennis
    - this also sells the program in terms of combine invites and NFL draft picks because of development and time out forth from the player into the program following the okg/built for life shit

If Peterman were to move pieces around and be more ruthless like many here wanted him to be he would be directly attacking the process that he prides himself in.

If Peterman were to be more ruthless then he would be "like all the other coaches" and he doesn't want to be.

You know "this program ain't for everyone"mantra.

Read: "if you buy into the program 100% then you will get a great education and develop as a player etc ..."

But all this is a smokescreen as we saw this past year. When shit is going wrong people say stuff like "oh, Peterman allows autonomy with all his coaches to call the shots etc ... " playing time and rotations and all that shit...

Is Peterman blind enough to see 8-5? He sees it but he's loyal to a fault to his players, program and coaches. Hence the linebacker debacle and offensive incompetence.

That's why he's taking a break because at the highest levels it's a balancing act between football ruthlessness and honor (and money/facilities/winning) and he got burnt out.

Hopefully Jimmy no balls has a bit more ruthlessness with enough honor to keep the program moving forward
    Only victors get to decide what was honorable. So he better get some big wins
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Houhusky said:

IIRC, the OL went to shit after 2011 and KP hurt his knee in the 2012 opener against SDSU at the Clink. That season was as painful to watch on offense as the last two Browning seasons but at least we got to storm the field after beating Stanford and Oregon State!
    In the game against Baylor in 2011 Price was already wearing his heavy knee brace on his left leg due to a lingering issue... he injured it further in that Alamo bowl game on one of his TD runs, 100%. He just toughed it out, he could barely walk after the game due to the swelling and he did irreversible damage to his knee.

I was there.

Also I remember Danny Shelton pushing 400 lbs trying to return the final kickoff with around 2 mins left in the game, trying to do a spin move and fumbling the ball to seal the win for Baylor... I was in full rage mode at the time rather funny sight to think about now.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2020
    chuck said:

Houhusky said:

I know it was under Sark, but how many good games did Price have against good competition? He showed some guts against Stanford in 2012. He took a fucking beating and hung in there and have us a chance but a 60 yard TD run by Sankey and Karsen taking a quick hitting WR type screen 40 yards won us that game. He’s not a QB that could beat a blue blood. Guys that don’t last even a minicamp in the NFL aren’t that player.

I don’t know why we argue that he was. No fucking chance we play for a natty with Price. C’mon. Maybe Alabama or LSU would have. Maybe. It would take a seriously elite team to win a title with him at QB. All time great type of team.

He was a decent player for some poorly coached teams. I liked him at times myself but by his senior year he had shit the bed enough that he was what he was. He was never any better than the 4th or 5th QB in the conference. QB’s are mainly judged by wins (heard it here many times), but not HHB Doog Legend Keith Price.

What QB’s from his era was he better than? Luck, Mariota.. Not a fucking chance. Barkley was better. Hundley and Kelly were better. Foles was better. Mannion was better. Hogan was probably better. Kessler too. You guys overrate the fuck outta Price. He’s maybe roughly equal to one or two guys on the list above. He was a middle of the conference starter.

Baylor won 10+ games because they had maybe the best offense in the country. That was a Paul Wulff Cougly bad defense.

I was a Doog for Price in 2011 for most the season. Guess who else I was a Doog for in 2016? Jake Browning. Players are judged by careers, not seasons or individual games.

Our best offensive game in 2013 was started by Cyler Miles against Oregon State. We were down like 24-0 or 24-7 when Price got hurt vs UCLA. Feel free to bash me for believing Miles would be good, and got too much blame, although I was partially right and first about Pete’s offense being a joke. I’m right about Price.
    Opinions and assumptions as facts is your MO whenever this topic comes up and you're so serious about it that it's hard to know how to respond. I know I simply shared my opinion and stated it is though it were correct, it wasnt dressed up as anything factual. Your comparisons to the other QBs is completely playing at the time is only opinion based. Your assertion that it takes NFL talent at QB to win at the college level is factually untrue.

Oh well. There are topics I can't converse with my friends and family too even if we agree on most things.
    Haha it’s not that serious. I just don’t think he was very good and most of it is factual or evidence based. Stats, wins, comparisons to other QB’s in the conference. A lot of hypotheticals are used about how and he would have been better in different circumstances.

We didn’t run the triple option. We ran a pro style offense for most of Price’s career. HUNH his senior year. Other than Jacob Coker and Alabama, the teams winning titles have had big time talent at QB. It’s not 1995 with Nebraska and Tommy Frazier anymore in CFB. If you put Price on Alabama in his era, yeah he maybe could have won a title. I doubt he could have anywhere else.

Good kid, easy to root for, and idiot doogs blaming him while defending Sark were pathetic. That doesn’t make him a good QB tho.
  • Options
    PenacePenace Member Posts: 494
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    I guess it makes sense. I dont love either Kennedy reciever but I s
    chuck said:

Houhusky said:

Houhusky said:

In the game against Baylor in 2011 Price was already wearing his heavy knee brace on his left leg due to a lingering issue... he injured it further in that Alamo bowl game on one of his TD runs, 100%. He just toughed it out, he could barely walk after the game due to the swelling and he did irreversible damage to his knee.

I was there.
    Price had knee problems to begin with and, as anyone who has dealt with weak knees knows, you hurt them every time you do anything. Either you take it and gimp your way through or you quit. He fucking battled like a trooper to get through his career like that. Some probably forget, but he had some scrambles and a couple of touchdown runs on that gimpy leg that were beyond epic. He managed to be a tough, mobile QB in spite of a bum wheel and nowhere near the speed or physique to play that style. It was pure heart and cleverness with the ball.

If Jake Locker, Isaiah Stanback, or Jacob Eason had half of the heart and winning attitude of Price they would have all been great QBs. Eason would have been a playoff QB. Instead the scrawny little dude was better than all of them.
    Not sure I've heard anyone question Jake Lockers heart during his time at UW
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

Penace said:

chuck said:

Houhusky said:

Houhusky said:

I was there.
    Price had knee problems to begin with and, as anyone who has dealt with weak knees knows, you hurt them every time you do anything. Either you take it and gimp your way through or you quit. He fucking battled like a trooper to get through his career like that. Some probably forget, but he had some scrambles and a couple of touchdown runs on that gimpy leg that were beyond epic. He managed to be a tough, mobile QB in spite of a bum wheel and nowhere near the speed or physique to play that style. It was pure heart and cleverness with the ball.

If Jake Locker, Isaiah Stanback, or Jacob Eason had half of the heart and winning attitude of Price they would have all been great QBs. Eason would have been a playoff QB. Instead the scrawny little dude was better than all of them.
    Yeah I think Jake had plenty of heart he just didn’t know how to throw an accurate ball. He was pretty clutch though and showed up big in key moments. He just had days where he couldn’t hit the broadside of a barn.
    He was clutch. He was mostly good when we needed it, sometimes great.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

dnc said:

Penace said:

chuck said:

Houhusky said:

Houhusky said:

I was there.

Yeah I think Jake had plenty of heart he just didn’t know how to throw an accurate ball. He was pretty clutch though and showed up big in key moments. He just had days where he couldn’t hit the broadside of a barn.
    He was clutch. He was mostly good when we needed it, sometimes great.
    Agree
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,929
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I’ll take two instate commits right now and put the sales twist on it that it’s momentum.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,910
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Committing Sunday
  • Options
    DoogWhispererDoogWhisperer Member Posts: 1,017
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment