Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Did the Donovan hire alter your faith in Jimmy Lake?

Comments

• Options
    njlanjla Member Posts: 19
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited January 2020
    No, I'm excited for 2020 and I'm willing to let it play out. I TRUST THE COACHES.
    Who gives a shit about Top 25 in January? LIPO. It will be great or shitty. We won’t know until November. Bunch of whiney bitches here...
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,214
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    No, I'm excited for 2020 and I'm willing to let it play out. I TRUST THE COACHES.
    guntlove said:

This is obviously bullshit. Lake got Donovan's name from our new TE coach. And if Donovan is so beloved in NFL circles, why was he languishing as an assistant to a running back coach for the last four years?

Jimmy can polish this turd all he wants... but there are a million reasons why this is a disastrous hire, and none of it has to do with lack of 'flash'.
    My gunt, we have to see the product before reviewing it. It's not disastrous until it is.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,601
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    I expect a hard fought game against the tree
  • Options
    DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Yes, a little bit. I'm excited about Jimmy Lake but I'm not sure why he'd hire Donovan
    He came out today and said some good things on Softy’s show. Aside from everyone hating his hires and believing he overthought or panicked or was too arrogant, he’s been saying the right things about changes to how he’s running the program.

Notes from interview (clipped from Doogman):

Spring Game

Lake said he saw value in what Petersen did, but he wants to get back to getting the fans excited to see "real" football and who the good young players are and who they should be keeping an eye on for the fall.

Transfer Portal

The fact that the Huskies were in the conversation for Jamie Newman is a change of pace since the staff has shied away from the portal while working to build their roster and depth through the recruiting process.

Lake noted that he is open to filling in holes in the roster, but admitted it would likely be more for quarterbacks than other positions as they've seen a couple of quarterbacks leave in the last year (Jacob Eason and Colson Yankoff) and that has left Washington with just three quarterbacks on the roster.

Offseason Checklist

Lake said that after he was named the new head coach and signed his contract the first weekend of December, he had three things he wanted to get done over and above anything else. Keep all 23 of their committed players. Win the bowl game to go into the off-season with the right mentality. Lastly, Lake wanted to keep the staff intact and he was able to do that other than the two coaches he chose to let go -- Jordan Paopao and Bush Hamdan -- and he eventually replaced those coaches with John Donovan and Derham Cato.

He said that the assistant coaches were fielding calls from other schools and even some NFL teams and that they didn't lose them because of the leadership of Jen Cohen in giving them competitive contracts and because this coaching staff is the tightest in the country and they have great relationships with the players as well.

Hiring His New Offensive Coordinator

Lake said he interviewed quite a few people and that Donovan was the one he chose for several reasons, but the biggest was because of the conversations he had with his numerous NFL contacts and how Donovan's name kept coming up as someone who knows his stuff and would do a great job.

Once he started vetting Donovan, he saw his success at Vanderbilt and how helped build the Penn State roster to the point where they had success after he left.

He said his conversation over the Xs and Os was outstanding and that the two were on the same page in wanting to be aggressive and come after the opposing offense much like Washington's defense did during his time as the defensive backs coach and eventually as the defensive coordinator.

Other Tidbits

Pete Kwaitkowski will be the play-caller on defense, but Lake will be intimately involved with the game-planning on both sides of the ball.

Lake said he's looking forward to the spring and being happy when the offense has success because he was always rooting against the offense in practice when he was solely focused on the defensive side of the ball.

Lake said they are hoping to add one or two more names to the 2020 recruiting class over the next couple of weeks.

Lake also noted that a big reason for hiring Terrance Brown was because he had been here for three years and understood their program, their scheme and their culture and that he and Will Harris will make a great tandem as the secondary coaches and both are "up-and-coming" coaches with bright futures.

Lastly, Lake said that being aggressive on offense doesn't always mean throwing the ball. He "loves to run the ball" and that is something you will see them do a lot, but when they do throw the ball, while he said they will do some "east/west stuff" he believes in going "north/south" when you throw it or run it.
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,446
    Fuck yes! Prior to this I was so excited about 2020. Now I fear that the Jimmy Lake era will be a towering dumpster fire on roller skates

He came out today and said some good things on Softy’s show. Aside from everyone hating his hires and believing he overthought or panicked or was too arrogant, he’s been saying the right things about changes to how he’s running the program.

Notes from interview (clipped from Doogman):

Spring Game

Lake said he saw value in what Petersen did, but he wants to get back to getting the fans excited to see "real" football and who the good young players are and who they should be keeping an eye on for the fall.

Transfer Portal

The fact that the Huskies were in the conversation for Jamie Newman is a change of pace since the staff has shied away from the portal while working to build their roster and depth through the recruiting process.

Lake noted that he is open to filling in holes in the roster, but admitted it would likely be more for quarterbacks than other positions as they've seen a couple of quarterbacks leave in the last year (Jacob Eason and Colson Yankoff) and that has left Washington with just three quarterbacks on the roster.

Offseason Checklist

Lake said that after he was named the new head coach and signed his contract the first weekend of December, he had three things he wanted to get done over and above anything else. Keep all 23 of their committed players. Win the bowl game to go into the off-season with the right mentality. Lastly, Lake wanted to keep the staff intact and he was able to do that other than the two coaches he chose to let go -- Jordan Paopao and Bush Hamdan -- and he eventually replaced those coaches with John Donovan and Derham Cato.

He said that the assistant coaches were fielding calls from other schools and even some NFL teams and that they didn't lose them because of the leadership of Jen Cohen in giving them competitive contracts and because this coaching staff is the tightest in the country and they have great relationships with the players as well.

Hiring His New Offensive Coordinator

Lake said he interviewed quite a few people and that Donovan was the one he chose for several reasons, but the biggest was because of the conversations he had with his numerous NFL contacts and how Donovan's name kept coming up as someone who knows his stuff and would do a great job.

Once he started vetting Donovan, he saw his success at Vanderbilt and how helped build the Penn State roster to the point where they had success after he left.

He said his conversation over the Xs and Os was outstanding and that the two were on the same page in wanting to be aggressive and come after the opposing offense much like Washington's defense did during his time as the defensive backs coach and eventually as the defensive coordinator.

Other Tidbits

Pete Kwaitkowski will be the play-caller on defense, but Lake will be intimately involved with the game-planning on both sides of the ball.

Lake said he's looking forward to the spring and being happy when the offense has success because he was always rooting against the offense in practice when he was solely focused on the defensive side of the ball.

Lake said they are hoping to add one or two more names to the 2020 recruiting class over the next couple of weeks.

Lake also noted that a big reason for hiring Terrance Brown was because he had been here for three years and understood their program, their scheme and their culture and that he and Will Harris will make a great tandem as the secondary coaches and both are "up-and-coming" coaches with bright futures.

Lastly, Lake said that being aggressive on offense doesn't always mean throwing the ball. He "loves to run the ball" and that is something you will see them do a lot, but when they do throw the ball, while he said they will do some "east/west stuff" he believes in going "north/south" when you throw it or run it.

Makes me wonder how much influence Lake will have on the offense, especially for decisions like punting or going for it.
  • Options
    EmotermanEmoterman Member Posts: 3,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Fuck yes! Prior to this I was so excited about 2020. Now I fear that the Jimmy Lake era will be a towering dumpster fire on roller skates

guntlove said:

This is obviously bullshit. Lake got Donovan's name from our new TE coach. And if Donovan is so beloved in NFL circles, why was he languishing as an assistant to a running back coach for the last four years?

Jimmy can polish this turd all he wants... but there are a million reasons why this is a disastrous hire, and none of it has to do with lack of 'flash'.
    My gunt, we have to see the product before reviewing it. It's not disastrous until it is.

Eat bleach.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,908
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Yes, a little bit. I'm excited about Jimmy Lake but I'm not sure why he'd hire Donovan
    skookum said:

skookum said:

just what I needed, another excuse to continue wallowing in a drunken stupor. thnaks Gemmy

Who says you need an excuse to wallow in drunken stupor?
    My list of excuses for abusing the fire water is extensive but I can always use more.
    I like this. Every now and then, you gotta throw out a new excuse to keep people guessing.
  • Options
    MontlakeDonMontlakeDon Member Posts: 52
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

haie said:

We're probably headed into 8-10 win North runner up territory.

I don't seem Jimmy beating Oregon without a lot of coaching turnover on their end. But I don't see us continually losing to the rest of the North. Every year he'll lose to Meat and then some random letdown against the South which will be enough to eliminate us.

The OC hire didn't really do anything one way or the other. We're going to continue to put up 20 points a game and give up 10-28 depending on talent on the other sideline.

I need to see a full season of Jimmy Ball before drawing any conclusions about how he's gonna fair against Meat.
    Coach Pete is 0-2 against The Meathead, you really think Lake will be a better coach? JFC take off your doog glasses we peaked with Peterson
  • Options
    NoWarningJustDawgNoWarningJustDawg Member Posts: 1,000
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    "No, I'm not excited for 2020 and I don't trust the coaches but I'm willing to let it play out."

^ There's one I actually could agree with. ^
    Nothing's changed for me; it was and is LIPO.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,503
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

haie said:

I don't seem Jimmy beating Oregon without a lot of coaching turnover on their end. But I don't see us continually losing to the rest of the North. Every year he'll lose to Meat and then some random letdown against the South which will be enough to eliminate us.

The OC hire didn't really do anything one way or the other. We're going to continue to put up 20 points a game and give up 10-28 depending on talent on the other sideline.

I need to see a full season of Jimmy Ball before drawing any conclusions about how he's gonna fair against Meat.
    Coach Pete is 0-2 against The Meathead, you really think Lake will be a better coach? JFC take off your doog glasses we peaked with Peterson
    Fuck off.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Go Vols!
    No. I knew hiring JimmyLakeBallz was a lazy move. More coffee time on the boat for you guys I guess.

I remember DJ didn't like boats or boating. Thought it was a waste of time.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,861
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    If he plays old skool 70s balls control, two tight end, ram it down the throat of soft Pack 12 defenses and we win, I'm fine with a lack of fly sweeps and crazy plays. It's mainly about protecting the ball, special teams, good defense, and executing.
  • Options
    MontlakeDonMontlakeDon Member Posts: 52
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    haie said:

haie said:

Fuck off.
    Peterson was a consensus top 5 coach in the entire country. Maybe Jimmy will beat the Meathead every now and then but this shit OC Is inspiring zero confidence in me. Jimmy will not be better than Peterson across the board, you can quote me on that.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Go Vols!

haie said:

haie said:

Fuck off.
    Peterson was a consensus top 5 coach in the entire country. Maybe Jimmy will beat the Meathead every now and then but this shit OC Is inspiring zero confidence in me. Jimmy will not be better than Peterson across the board, you can quote me on that.
    Consider yourself quoted on your 'water will be wet' prognostication.

Thanks for playing. Boom!
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,446

haie said:

haie said:

Fuck off.
    Putting Kwait back in control of the defense makes him better than Pete
  • Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

haie said:

haie said:

Fuck off.
    Petersen was a top 5 program builder. A CEO.

The fact that he gave the ducks the win in 2018 says it all for his on field coaching.

You think James Lake will settle for a 38yard fg with 30 seconds left in the game? Doubt that.
  • Options
    Homebrew_DawgHomebrew_Dawg Member Posts: 1,648
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Go Vols!
    Who's Jimmy Lake? Is a Vols like a Ute?