Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Fire Pete Carroll

2»

Comments

• Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    dnc said:

Bob_C said:

Is there an example of a coach that has won a Super Bowl and then won his second 8-9 years later? I can’t think of one. A few like Parcells and Gibbs got it 3-4 years later.

You win multiple in a short time or you are one and done according to history. Wilson is too good to let this continue.

The list of coaches who have won multiple Super Bowls is incredibly short. 13 to be exact. That's obviously somewhat your point, but trying to look for precedent in anything is a bit of a futile exercise. I wouldn't put money on any of Sean Payton, John Harbaugh, Mike Tomlin, or shit, even Bill Belichick, winning another Super Bowl. Carroll is in that same boat. It's quite honestly the hardest thing to do in sports. Yet I wouldn't advocate replacing any of those guys.
    I'd replace Tomlin and Carroll and in a vacuum Payton but I'm not sure Brees would stick around for a new staff. If Brees wasn't on board I wouldn't fire Payton.

Good is often the enemy of great. Tomlin and Carroll have proven at this point they aren't great coaches anymore.
    But besides Belichick, does your definition of great even exist in the head coaching ranks? We thought McVay was on his way to blazing a new trail, but it turns out that he can fizzle out with the rest of them. Maybe Shanahan does it this year, but until he actually weathers a full cycle of roster turnover and proves he can sustain success, I don't think he's going to deserve the designation of "great" any time soon.

My point is that the NFL is so damn cyclical and the emphasis of parity in the league makes it extremely hard to sustain any kind of success. We could fire Pete and hire the next young guru who can take us to the Super Bowl, only for him to become obsolete in three years. Pete is one of the few coaches who has shown an ability to sustain success throughout an entire cycle of young stars turning into expensive veterans and then pricing them off the team. That's fucking hard to do, and while his blunders - questionable drafting, an awful S&C hire, and in-game deficiencies; have prevented this team from becoming elite again, he's also the one who got us back to playoff consistency in the first place.
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,276
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    dnc said:

Bob_C said:

But they won multiple early. Did anyone win their second with that kind of gap?

Can’t think of anyone. This is a really good point.
    Interesting, but really narrow, stat. I think the longest gap between first and second SB win is Landry at 6 years (had a SB loss 4 years after first win) and then Gibbs at 5 years (lost year after winning first).
    As mentioned Belichick went a long time between 4 and 5.
    Shula won back to back and didn't ever win again, but got back 9 and 11 years later.

But if that's the metric, then Sean Payton, John Harbaugh and Jon Gruden should all be door ass out before Carroll, since they are on longer gaps. Payton especially since he's also had the same QB the whole time.
  • Options
    UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,108
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer

dnc said:

dnc said:

Amazing coach. Inspiring man. Very grateful the Hawks hired him.

But the game has passed him by.

His refusal to play in the first half is predictable, boring, exhausting and killing this team.

Every year you keep Pete is a year you are wasting the prime of an inner circle HOF QB.

This is all you need to know.

@FirePete
    Convenient that you left out 2013 and 2014
    They didn't play a road playoff game in 2013 or 2014.