Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Fire Pete Carroll

dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Amazing coach. Inspiring man. Very grateful the Hawks hired him.

But the game has passed him by.

His refusal to play in the first half is predictable, boring, exhausting and killing this team.

Every year you keep Pete is a year you are wasting the prime of an inner circle HOF QB.

This is all you need to know.

@FirePete

Comments

• Options
    dnc said:

His refusal to play in the first half is predictable, boring, exhausting and killing this team.

Every year you keep Pete is a year you are wasting the prime of an inner circle HOF QB.

@FirePete
  • Options
    dnc said:

dnc said:

@FirePete
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,959
    Founders Club
    dnc said:

dnc said:

@FirePete
    Convenient that you left out 2013 and 2014
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

dnc said:

@FirePete
    All those games were on the road in the playoffs. They aren’t only from not letting Russ rip it.
  • Options
    Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,898
    Photogenic First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Founders Club
    Yeah the whole narrative that it’s just Carrols fault is laughable. Russ has to play better in 1Hs regardless of what plays are called. It not like they are only runs being called.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    That's a silly cherry-picked stat. Why not use all road playoff games? There's absolutely an issue with Carroll's first half performances in road playoff games, so no need to twist it to make it look worse than it already is.

I also wouldn't say the game has passed him by. His ability to keep this team afloat after the mass attrition of 2017-2018 is pretty fucking impressive, and frankly I put more blame on Schneider's shoulders for consistent draft whiffs on the defense and offensive line (yes obviously Carroll played his own role in evaluating these guys) than Pete making in-game blunders.
  • Options

That's a silly cherry-picked stat. Why not use all road playoff games? There's absolutely an issue with Carroll's first half performances in road playoff games, so no need to twist it to make it look worse than it already is.

I also wouldn't say the game has passed him by. His ability to keep this team afloat after the mass attrition of 2017-2018 is pretty fucking impressive, and frankly I put more blame on Schneider's shoulders for consistent draft whiffs on the defense and offensive line (yes obviously Carroll played his own role in evaluating these guys) than Pete making in-game blunders.

It's Pete's team, he's the boss, he hired Schneider, he sets the tone for what they want.

The OL issues are all on Pete's philosophy. He wants to run the ball so they select OL who can run block and not pass block.

Pete's the defensive coach but the defense has been very bad for a couple of years now.

Maybe the game hasn't passed him by but he has been unwilling to adapt to his personnel and still coaches like he has an elite defense when they aren't anything close to elite. He still coaches like he has a mediocre QB when he has a great one.

If he would build the team around it's greatest strength it would have a real shot.

He won't though.
  • Options

dnc said:

dnc said:

@FirePete
    Convenient that you left out 2013 and 2014
    It's not my Tweet.

The point is that they have the same gameplan in every playoff game whether on the road or at home and it flat out isn't working on the road.

The whole world knows exactly what Seattle will do in the first half. They make adjustments at halftime but the whole is too deep.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Bob_C said:

Yeah the whole narrative that it’s just Carrols fault is laughable. Russ has to play better in 1Hs regardless of what plays are called. It not like they are only runs being called.

Russ was fine in the first half. Pete doesn't want him to run in the first half which maybe makes sense in the regular season if you're trying to protect him but is incredibly stupid in a loser out game. Why would you that take away one of his best weapons?

He overthrew DK on the first drive, and had some terrible clock management on the last drive of the first half (which how much of that is him and how much is Pete is always debatable). He wasn't perfect but he would have been a lot better than 3 points if he was allowed to be.

I expected Russ to be a big problem in this game due to the cold. He wasn't. He played well enough to win.

Pete didn't coach well enough to win.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.
  • Options
    dnc said:

It's Pete's team, he's the boss, he hired Schneider, he sets the tone for what they want.

The OL issues are all on Pete's philosophy. He wants to run the ball so they select OL who can run block and not pass block.

Pete's the defensive coach but the defense has been very bad for a couple of years now.

Maybe the game hasn't passed him by but he has been unwilling to adapt to his personnel and still coaches like he has an elite defense when they aren't anything close to elite. He still coaches like he has a mediocre QB when he has a great one.

If he would build the team around it's greatest strength it would have a real shot.

He won't though.
    I'm not sure where you got the idea that Pete is Schneider's boss. AFAIK he doesn't have the ability to replace him (not that I'm advocating for that). I could absolutely be wrong though.

And I'm not opposed to dialing back Pete's personnel responsibilities. I also don't disagree with your criticism, I think that's what's preventing this team from being elite. But I'm not jumping anywhere near the #firepete bandwagon.
  • Options
    edited January 2020

dnc said:

He won't though.
    I'm not sure where you got the idea that Pete is Schneider's boss. AFAIK he doesn't have the ability to replace him (not that I'm advocating for that). I could absolutely be wrong though.

And I'm not opposed to dialing back Pete's personnel responsibilities. I also don't disagree with your criticism, I think that's what's preventing this team from being elite. But I'm not jumping anywhere near the #firepete bandwagon.
    Pete selected Schneider. I agree the flow chart is a bit muddy, especially since Paul Allen died. I'm not sure Pete could fire Schneider but I do know Pete is ultimately in charge. Schneider for sure couldn't fire Pete.
  • Options
    rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,017
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    dnc said:

He won't though.
    yryk, pete wont change shit, he's a crotchety old man. why should he though? he's going to coach seattle for as long as he wants.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Is there an example of a coach that has won a Super Bowl and then won his second 8-9 years later? I can’t think of one. A few like Parcells and Gibbs got it 3-4 years later.

You win multiple in a short time or you are one and done according to history. Wilson is too good to let this continue.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,258
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Bob_C said:

Is there an example of a coach that has won a Super Bowl and then won his second 8-9 years later? I can’t think of one. A few like Parcells and Gibbs got it 3-4 years later.

You win multiple in a short time or you are one and done according to history. Wilson is too good to let this continue.

Pats won three of four from 01 to 04

Won their next in 14
  • Options
    Founders Club
    But they won multiple early. Did anyone win their second with that kind of gap?
  • Options
    Bob_C said:

But they won multiple early. Did anyone win their second with that kind of gap?

Can’t think of anyone. This is a really good point.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

dnc said:

He won't though.

Pete has final say on every roster move. Schneider just does the leg work.
  • Options
    Bob_C said:

The list of coaches who have won multiple Super Bowls is incredibly short. 13 to be exact. That's obviously somewhat your point, but trying to look for precedent in anything is a bit of a futile exercise. I wouldn't put money on any of Sean Payton, John Harbaugh, Mike Tomlin, or shit, even Bill Belichick, winning another Super Bowl. Carroll is in that same boat. It's quite honestly the hardest thing to do in sports. Yet I wouldn't advocate replacing any of those guys.
  • Options

Bob_C said:

The list of coaches who have won multiple Super Bowls is incredibly short. 13 to be exact. That's obviously somewhat your point, but trying to look for precedent in anything is a bit of a futile exercise. I wouldn't put money on any of Sean Payton, John Harbaugh, Mike Tomlin, or shit, even Bill Belichick, winning another Super Bowl. Carroll is in that same boat. It's quite honestly the hardest thing to do in sports. Yet I wouldn't advocate replacing any of those guys.
    I'd replace Tomlin and Carroll and in a vacuum Payton but I'm not sure Brees would stick around for a new staff. If Brees wasn't on board I wouldn't fire Payton.

Good is often the enemy of great. Tomlin and Carroll have proven at this point they aren't great coaches anymore.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2020
    I don’t know if I would fire Pete, but Russ is so good any coach, even a bad one could go 10-6 or better with him.

There are certain things with his scheme that have proven to be ineffective. We obviously need great DB’s. Even in the LOB days, when we had one guy that wasn’t good, teams would pick on them all day. Simon in the SuperBowl against the Pats was the biggest culprit.

Flowers would be a good 5th or 6th DB. He’s no starting CB for a contender.

Since we know we didn’t have the defense, let Russ go. The ground and pound bullshit only works in the NFL if you have a great defense. Ours was below average.