Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Not Adams and Huff’s Fault

Comments

• Options
    sonics1993sonics1993 Member Posts: 1,460
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    edited January 2020

@sonics1993 - How shocked were you about this hire? Did you know about him prior to the announcement?

Didn't know about him but knew Jimmy was studying the LSU tape a lot. When I heard about the connection to Brady and the feedback received it made sense.
    Brady was a GA under Donovan prior to his time under Moorhead and Sean Payton. I think it's safe to say what Brady brought to LSU he learned from the latter.
    True but him and Donovan still keep in touch and communicate.
    Joe Brady is the new Sean McVay. Anyone who's ever been in a room with him is going to get offers.
    So true
    So Donovan got hired because he checks these boxes
    -Knows Joe Brady
    -Has NFL experience
    -Has OC experience

Was there no one else that had these qualifications?

We all know Donovan wasn't the first option. Jimmy went down the list, liked what he heard about Donovan, interviewed him and then hired him. We will find out in a year if he made the right decision.
    Who was on the list? Yursich and Moore we know, anyone else?
    Yursich and Moore were on top, Monken was a guy Jimmy was really interest in but Monken wasn't interested in us.
  • Options
    theLSkidtheLSkid Member Posts: 344
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Here’s what probably went down..
    Jimmy Montlake LOVES ‘NFL Guys’. Adams has made some good NFL Talent, Huff has been a little bit of a miss but probably didn’t want to lose this years OL class. Donny boy has NFL all over him, thus bringing Jimmy to hire him over other possible candidates. It’s OBVIOUS he wanted Kellen Moore, due to the NFL experience. He picked the off brand Kellen to run the offense.

Yikes?
  • Options
    QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member Posts: 3,116
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    theLSkid said:

Jimmy Montlake LOVES ‘NFL Guys’. Adams has made some good NFL Talent, Huff has been a little bit of a miss but probably didn’t want to lose this years OL class. Donny boy has NFL all over him, thus bringing Jimmy to hire him over other possible candidates. It’s OBVIOUS he wanted Kellen Moore, due to the NFL experience. He picked the off brand Kellen to run the offense.

Yikes?

I think Jimmy saw a lot of himself in Donovan. He’s roughly the same age, bald, and was an overachieving DB who bounced around college before getting an NFL education.

He looked at this guy and saw a white, non-charismatic version of himself.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Pete messed up not playing the talent and choosing the seniors over the younger players, Jimmy can't make that same mistake.

This is the main explanation for what happened in 2019 ... particularly on offense

On one hand, it’s understandable to be loyal to a bunch of seniors that had delivered huge results in the past 3-4 years

On the other, it is easy to start losing your locker room when the players can see that the better players aren’t playing and seniority is being rewarded
  • Options
    EmotermanEmoterman Member Posts: 3,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    If you want the Joe Brady magic, why not reach out to this guy:
    https://www.neworleanssaints.com/team/coaches-roster/joe-lombard
    Or if you're not that audacious, this guy:
    https://www.neworleanssaints.com/team/coaches-roster/brendan-nugent

Or you know, the guy who launched him on his starward trajectory, Joe Moorhead.
  • Options
    Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,607
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes

@sonics1993 - How shocked were you about this hire? Did you know about him prior to the announcement?

Didn't know about him but knew Jimmy was studying the LSU tape a lot. When I heard about the connection to Brady and the feedback received it made sense.
    Brady was a GA under Donovan prior to his time under Moorhead and Sean Payton. I think it's safe to say what Brady brought to LSU he learned from the latter.
    Joe Brady is the new Sean McVay. Anyone who's ever been in a room with him is going to get offers.
    So true
    -Knows Joe Brady
    -Has NFL experience
    -Has OC experience

We all know Donovan wasn't the first option. Jimmy went down the list, liked what he heard about Donovan, interviewed him and then hired him. We will find out in a year if he made the right decision.
    You like the hire?
    Hard to like the hire looking at his resume. This is situation where you let Jimmy hire/fire whomever he wants and then judge his decisions a year from now.
    @RoadDawg55 and @Houhusky are killin' it in this thread. That being said, I've been onboard with the above quote from the day Bush was fired.

Today has been entertaining for me rather than stressful, as I fully expected a thud of a hire. Why? Because that's all that's even remotely possible. Let's run down the possible list of OC candidates:

1.) A coach who just got fired.
    2.) A coach from a lesser team who you can lure to the "big time."
    3.) A gamble on a position coach yearning for a promotion, NFL or NCAA.

That's it. If you're Alabama, you can actually make hay with category 2 and find somebody that excites you (yet they choose Sark, so...). If you're Washington? There is not a single coach in the country from any of those three categories who is going to seem like a slam dunk. So--just logically--it makes sense to prepare for either a who.gif hire or a disappointing one. This hire did not disappoint--in the sense of my expectations being met!--as I have no idea who the fuck he is. The only thing you can do with that kind or hire (read: any hire UW was realistically going to get) is watch some hopefully-not-awful football next year, see what happens, and guzzle bleach or call for death if it deserves it.

ATBS, Roadie, HouHusky, et al are right in that coaching matters way more than 25%. I'd take it further and say that head coaching matters way more than 25%. It's impossible to deny this when looking at what Swinney, Saban, Meyer have achieved. When Urban Meyer can win like he did at four different schools (and it's not like he took all of his assistants and coordinators with him to every stop), it sort of throws the "coaching doesn't matter" theory right out the window.

In short, I don't give a fuck who the coordinators are--at least not until after they fail. If Jimmy Lake is a championship level coach, he'll win with a sack of potatoes in a headset manning the booth. He honed his craft listening to people who know their shit in the NFL, is not satisfied to rest on his laurels and continues to seek advice from those at the top of the game, and he's one of the best DB coaches in the country as a result. If he demands this same kind of dedication to continuous improvement from every member of the staff, manages them in the proper way, and holds them accountable for failure, he'll be a successful head coach and the team will win games. If not, the team will lose and he will flame out.

TL;DR, I'd pull this kind of balance out of my ass:
    50% recruiting
    10-20% coaching
    whatever's left Lake's leadership.

I'm not dooging or HHBing. No fucking idea how this is going to go, so LIPO. [Insert multi-million per year NFL offensive genius HC or OC here] wasn't walking through the door to OC the Huskies, so this was always going to be the case regardless of the hire.

I'm kind of with you on this. The success of the offense will depend on the talent we have and Jimmy's leadership.

Within any given scheme all OC's will call roughly the same kind of stuff, if you have the athletes and execute it will go pretty well.

This guy will do what Jimmy says and I guess he feels he can work with him.
  • Options
    Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,607
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes

theLSkid said:

Yikes?

I think Jimmy saw a lot of himself in Donovan. He’s roughly the same age, bald, and was an overachieving DB who bounced around college before getting an NFL education.

I think Jimmy values any kind of NFL experience. He probably feels he learned a ton in the league even though he didn't have some great position and he sees something similar in Donovan.
  • Options
    EmotermanEmoterman Member Posts: 3,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

theLSkid said:

Yikes?

I think Jimmy values any kind of NFL experience. He probably feels he learned a ton in the league even though he didn't have some great position and he sees something similar in Donovan.
    In other words, the I've-got-special-insight-and-I'm-smarter-than-everyone approach. If the only diamonds to be found were in the rough, fair enough, but it sounds as though some established diamonds were deemed imperfect or not even examined.
  • Options
    BeerThirtyBeerThirty Member Posts: 2,465
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

dnc said:

College Football is 75% recruiting, 25% coaching. Jimmy did the right thing keeping them because they bring in talent.

Disagree.

We lost to Cal two years in a row. Coaching is way the fuck more important than 25%
    Not in college football. The two HC's in the championship game is a WR coach in Dabo and a DL coach in Ed Oregon. Neither of them are are great coach but they are elite recruiters. Oregon won a rose bowl with a meatball OL coach as there HC and incompetent Arroyo as there OC because they accumulated talent and let played them. If Jimmy does this with our roster we will be fine.
    Dabo was a WR coach yes but Clemson for years had the highest paid coordinators in the game.

Orgeron's always been able to recruit at an insane level but this is his first year of elite results...when he hired an elite X's and O's guy.

It's not coaching or recruiting, it's both/and.
    I saw Clay Helton win a rose bowl. Agree both matter but recruiting is far more important.
    I saw Sam Darnold win a Rose Bowl. Let's not forget that Max Browne started that season
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

So true
    -Knows Joe Brady
    -Has NFL experience
    -Has OC experience

You like the hire?
    Hard to like the hire looking at his resume. This is situation where you let Jimmy hire/fire whomever he wants and then judge his decisions a year from now.
    so you expect the fans to act like actual adults
  • Options
    NoWarningJustDawgNoWarningJustDawg Member Posts: 1,000
    Standard Supporter

It will be interesting to see how Brady does next year at LSU or elsewhere. Was it a perfect storm or is he truly a mastermind coach?
    I think it's more of the former. LSU is fairly similar to UW in that their offense was not nearly as good as it should have been, for years. They desperately needed a change to an outdated scheme - sounds familiar. They had elite talent that made them amazing once the correct change was made. UW's talent isn't there, but isn't that far off either.

Jimmy isn't dumb, so he had to have seen or heard *something* to want to put this guy in charge of his offense for 3 years...but it sure as hell isn't obvious to the rest of us what that something is. We'll see how it plays out, but it seems like with this hire Lake significantly shortened the leash fans were willing to give him.
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,350
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    but it seems like with this hire Lake significantly shortened the leash fans were willing to give him.

BIG BALLZ JIMMY!
  • Options
    BendDawg24BendDawg24 Member Posts: 35
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    @sonics1993 did Franklin and Lake talk? Do you think Franklin recommended Donovan to Lake?
  • Options
    sonics1993sonics1993 Member Posts: 1,460
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

@sonics1993 did Franklin and Lake talk? Do you think Franklin recommended Donovan to Lake?

Don’t know
  • Options
    FKA_MousecopFKA_Mousecop Member Posts: 2,054
    The resume is underwhelming enough, but hiring an OC who couldn’t even get his own position group after 4 years in the NFL is also disappointing. If he really was just a big proponent in some of their successes you would’ve thanked they would’ve had to try harder to keep him around given his position.

I wonder if Lake wanted to go bigger but they wanted to save money. That’s going to narrow down the pool as is.
  • Options
    DoogWhispererDoogWhisperer Member Posts: 1,017
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

So true
    -Knows Joe Brady
    -Has NFL experience
    -Has OC experience

Who was on the list? Yursich and Moore we know, anyone else?
    Yursich and Moore were on top, Monken was a guy Jimmy was really interest in but Monken wasn't interested in us.
    No Chip Long?