Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Not Adams and Huff’s Fault

Comments

• Options
    KrunkJuiceKrunkJuice Member Posts: 2,046
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    @sonics1993 - How shocked were you about this hire? Did you know about him prior to the announcement?
  • Options
    sonics1993sonics1993 Member Posts: 1,460
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

dnc said:

College Football is 75% recruiting, 25% coaching. Jimmy did the right thing keeping them because they bring in talent.

Disagree.

We lost to Cal two years in a row. Coaching is way the fuck more important than 25%
    Not in college football. The two HC's in the championship game is a WR coach in Dabo and a DL coach in Ed Oregon. Neither of them are are great coach but they are elite recruiters. Oregon won a rose bowl with a meatball OL coach as there HC and incompetent Arroyo as there OC because they accumulated talent and let played them. If Jimmy does this with our roster we will be fine.
    Dabo was a WR coach yes but Clemson for years had the highest paid coordinators in the game.

Orgeron's always been able to recruit at an insane level but this is his first year of elite results...when he hired an elite X's and O's guy.

It's not coaching or recruiting, it's both/and.
    I saw Clay Helton win a rose bowl. Agree both matter but recruiting is far more important.
    If that is the case how is this hire going to help us in recruiting? His offenses have sucked when he was in charge at penn st.

Do you see him as someone that is going to get the most out of Adams and Huff. I would doubt it. This hire smells of jimmy thinking he is smarter than everyone else and zigging when they zag. I hope this is the case, but i wouldn’t bet on it.
    I’ll say it again. This guy was hired IN SPITE of his track record. This would mean he is hired based off of an idea that lake thinks will work.

I want to be wrong.
    He was brought in because Jimmy liked what he saw from the LSU offense and wanted a guy from that tree. Don't know why he wouldn't go after Moorehead but only he can answer that question. OC's don't need to be strong recruiters since they aren't lead recruiters, they just need build relationships.
    Simply having a good offense that puts up a lot of points helps recruiting.

In order to our recruit the big boys, you need great recruiters. That said, half of our classes are guys that come to UW because that is their best offer and the most prestigious school after them. Not all players come to a school because of their position coach. It plays a role. It’s not the only role. Very far from it actually.
    Relationships are by far the number one factor in recruiting.
  • Options

@sonics1993 - How shocked were you about this hire? Did you know about him prior to the announcement?

Didn't know about him but knew Jimmy was studying the LSU tape a lot. When I heard about the connection to Brady and the feedback received it made sense.
  • Options
    insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Didn't know about him but knew Jimmy was studying the LSU tape a lot. When I heard about the connection to Brady and the feedback received it made sense.
    Brady was a GA under Donovan prior to his time under Moorhead and Sean Payton. I think it's safe to say what Brady brought to LSU he learned from the latter.
  • Options

Brady was a GA under Donovan prior to his time under Moorhead and Sean Payton. I think it's safe to say what Brady brought to LSU he learned from the latter.
    True but him and Donovan still keep in touch and communicate.
  • Options

dnc said:

College Football is 75% recruiting, 25% coaching. Jimmy did the right thing keeping them because they bring in talent.

Disagree.

We lost to Cal two years in a row. Coaching is way the fuck more important than 25%
    Not in college football. The two HC's in the championship game is a WR coach in Dabo and a DL coach in Ed Oregon. Neither of them are are great coach but they are elite recruiters. Oregon won a rose bowl with a meatball OL coach as there HC and incompetent Arroyo as there OC because they accumulated talent and let played them. If Jimmy does this with our roster we will be fine.
    Dabo was a WR coach yes but Clemson for years had the highest paid coordinators in the game.

Orgeron's always been able to recruit at an insane level but this is his first year of elite results...when he hired an elite X's and O's guy.

It's not coaching or recruiting, it's both/and.
    I saw Clay Helton win a rose bowl. Agree both matter but recruiting is far more important.
    If that is the case how is this hire going to help us in recruiting? His offenses have sucked when he was in charge at penn st.

Do you see him as someone that is going to get the most out of Adams and Huff. I would doubt it. This hire smells of jimmy thinking he is smarter than everyone else and zigging when they zag. I hope this is the case, but i wouldn’t bet on it.
    I’ll say it again. This guy was hired IN SPITE of his track record. This would mean he is hired based off of an idea that lake thinks will work.

I want to be wrong.
    He was brought in because Jimmy liked what he saw from the LSU offense and wanted a guy from that tree. Don't know why he wouldn't go after Moorehead but only he can answer that question. OC's don't need to be strong recruiters since they aren't lead recruiters, they just need build relationships.
    Simply having a good offense that puts up a lot of points helps recruiting.

In order to our recruit the big boys, you need great recruiters. That said, half of our classes are guys that come to UW because that is their best offer and the most prestigious school after them. Not all players come to a school because of their position coach. It plays a role. It’s not the only role. Very far from it actually.
    Relationships are by far the number one factor in recruiting.
    It’s a factor. Players aren’t going to the blue bloods because they have the best relationships with them. School prestige, location, playing time, scheme, academics, family pressure, etc. There are tons of reasons. I’m not arguing that relationships aren’t important. They are.

The reality is tho that these kids have good relationships with a lot of coaches. These coaches are buttering them up and selling them on their school.

If Tosh became the DL coach at WSU, he still would not beat out Malloe for 95% of DL recruits. UW is considered the better place to play. Recruits mainly go to schools by tier. There is no one answer for recruiting.
    True
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Houhusky said:

Disagree.

Recruiting only matters if you have a good coach

ergo, therefore, ipso fatso...

1) coaching
    2) recruiting

but you still need both.

As far as value... there are far fewer great coaches/developers than there are guys that can slide coffee cups to high schoolers.
    Great recruiters are a plus when they have something to sell. I’m sure Oregon State and WSU have a coach or two that all recruits love but still won’t go there because it’s WSU and Oregon State.
  • Options

Joe Brady is the new Sean McVay. Anyone who's ever been in a room with him is going to get offers.
    So true
  • Options

Joe Brady is the new Sean McVay. Anyone who's ever been in a room with him is going to get offers.
    So true
    So Donovan got hired because he checks these boxes
    -Knows Joe Brady
    -Has NFL experience
    -Has OC experience

Was there no one else that had these qualifications?

• Options

So true
    -Knows Joe Brady
    -Has NFL experience
    -Has OC experience

We all know Donovan wasn't the first option. Jimmy went down the list, liked what he heard about Donovan, interviewed him and then hired him. We will find out in a year if he made the right decision.
  • Options

So true
    -Knows Joe Brady
    -Has NFL experience
    -Has OC experience

We all know Donovan wasn't the first option. Jimmy went down the list, liked what he heard about Donovan, interviewed him and then hired him. We will find out in a year if he made the right decision.
    Who was on the list? Yursich and Moore we know, anyone else?