Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Not Adams and Huff’s Fault

RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam
But if Jimmy mandated keeping them for recruiting purposes, he didn’t do himself any favors.

Still just can’t fathom how this guy was hired other than Jimmy doing his agent or someone in their industry a solid.

Comments

• Options
    sonics1993sonics1993 Member Posts: 1,460
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    College Football is 75% recruiting, 25% coaching. Jimmy did the right thing keeping them because they bring in talent.
  • Options

Disagree Sonics. If that was the case LSU would have had a great offense a long time ago. USC would have won the conference just about every year. Both are really important.

I would argue coaching is more important if you aren’t getting the best, elite players because you have to turn guys that have roughly the same talent into winners.

If axing Huff and Adams would have gotten us a better OC it should have been done. They aren’t the only good recruiters either.

Having Huff and Adams played no role in the OC decision making.
  • Options

College Football is 75% recruiting, 25% coaching. Jimmy did the right thing keeping them because they bring in talent.

Disagree.

We lost to Cal two years in a row. Coaching is way the fuck more important than 25%
    Not in college football. The two HC's in the championship game is a WR coach in Dabo and a DL coach in Ed Oregon. Neither of them are are great coach but they are elite recruiters. Oregon won a rose bowl with a meatball OL coach as there HC and incompetent Arroyo as there OC because they accumulated talent and let played them. If Jimmy does this with our roster we will be fine.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Disagree.

We lost to Cal two years in a row. Coaching is way the fuck more important than 25%
    Not in college football. The two HC's in the championship game is a WR coach in Dabo and a DL coach in Ed Oregon. Neither of them are are great coach but they are elite recruiters. Oregon won a rose bowl with a meatball OL coach as there HC and incompetent Arroyo as there OC because they accumulated talent and let played them. If Jimmy does this with our roster we will be fine.
    LSU didn’t all of a sudden get great players. They have always had them. Burrows went from a 3 star transfer that was nothing special to having an all time season. It wasn’t from a bunch of new players around him either.
  • Options
    dnc said:

Disagree.

Dabo was a WR coach yes but Clemson for years had the highest paid coordinators in the game.

Orgeron's always been able to recruit at an insane level but this is his first year of elite results...when he hired an elite X's and O's guy.

It's not coaching or recruiting, it's both/and.
    I saw Clay Helton win a rose bowl. Agree both matter but recruiting is far more important.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,994
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

dnc said:

Disagree.

Dabo was a WR coach yes but Clemson for years had the highest paid coordinators in the game.

Orgeron's always been able to recruit at an insane level but this is his first year of elite results...when he hired an elite X's and O's guy.

I saw Clay Helton win a rose bowl. Agree both matter but recruiting is far more important.
    If that is the case how is this hire going to help us in recruiting? His offenses have sucked when he was in charge at penn st.

Do you see him as someone that is going to get the most out of Adams and Huff. I would doubt it. This hire smells of jimmy thinking he is smarter than everyone else and zigging when they zag. I hope this is the case, but i wouldn’t bet on it.
    I’ll say it again. This guy was hired IN SPITE of his track record. This would mean he is hired based off of an idea that lake thinks will work.

I want to be wrong.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2020
    Btw, I thought Pete didn’t make the decisions on who played. We all know he did play at least some role, but I believe even you have posted that before.
  • Options

dnc said:

Disagree.

If that is the case how is this hire going to help us in recruiting? His offenses have sucked when he was in charge at penn st.

Do you see him as someone that is going to get the most out of Adams and Huff. I would doubt it. This hire smells of jimmy thinking he is smarter than everyone else and zigging when they zag. I hope this is the case, but i wouldn’t bet on it.
    I’ll say it again. This guy was hired IN SPITE of his track record. This would mean he is hired based off of an idea that lake thinks will work.

I want to be wrong.
    He was brought in because Jimmy liked what he saw from the LSU offense and wanted a guy from that tree. Don't know why he wouldn't go after Moorehead but only he can answer that question. OC's don't need to be strong recruiters since they aren't lead recruiters, they just need build relationships.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,994
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

By the way ASU hired a 27 year WR coach and 24 year old DB this past off season because Herm realized recruiting is what matters the most. Bring in talent, let them play and you will win the majority of your games. Pete messed up not playing the talent and choosing the seniors over the younger players, Jimmy can't make that same mistake.

Herm already has talent In the secondary and some of them regressed this year. Herm is a 9-9 coach. Why is everyone so quick to celebrate what he’s done when his predecessor was more successful.
  • Options

By the way ASU hired a 27 year WR coach and 24 year old DB this past off season because Herm realized recruiting is what matters the most. Bring in talent, let them play and you will win the majority of your games. Pete messed up not playing the talent and choosing the seniors over the younger players, Jimmy can't make that same mistake.

Herm already has talent In the secondary and some of them regressed this year. Herm is a 9-9 coach. Why is everyone so quick to celebrate what he’s done when his predecessor was more successful.
    Oh, i'm not celebrating him at all, just saying it shows what his primary focus is when hiring coaches. Who knows if it will work but I like the strategy, especially with USC and UCLA down
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

dnc said:

Disagree.

I want to be wrong.
    He was brought in because Jimmy liked what he saw from the LSU offense and wanted a guy from that tree. Don't know why he wouldn't go after Moorehead but only he can answer that question. OC's don't need to be strong recruiters since they aren't lead recruiters, they just need build relationships.
    Simply having a good offense that puts up a lot of points helps recruiting.

In order to our recruit the big boys, you need great recruiters. That said, half of our classes are guys that come to UW because that is their best offer and the most prestigious school after them. Not all players come to a school because of their position coach. It plays a role. It’s not the only role. Very far from it actually.
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited January 2020

Disagree.

Recruiting only matters if you have a good coach

ergo, therefore, ipso fatso...

1) coaching
    2) recruiting

but you still need both.

As far as value... there are far fewer great coaches/developers than there are guys that can slide coffee cups to high schoolers.