Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

I am happy

Comments

• PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,500 Swaye's Wigwam

Helfrich blasted the doors off a team in the playoffs 2 years after chipper threw himself into a wood chipper

He knows offense. Id be happy with him. The guy did more for Oregon than Pete did for UW

Holy fuck

This place is demented!!
    Helfrich ass blasted undefeated FSU.

Petersen beat Southern Miss, Boise, Utah, Cuog

Hth
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,500 Swaye's Wigwam

Gladstone said:

I am pretty firmly (lulz) against Helfrich as it's still debated how much of an impact he really had while working under revolutionary-at-the-time Chip. And he sucked everywhere else.

That being said, to play devil's advocate you can also argue that Chip never was remotely as good either once he was separated from Helfrich. And the VAJ Oregon offense might have been their best O of that era if he had stayed healthy. So yeah idk.

Helfrich had his play calling duties stripped after the Boise St game in 2009. That was the first and only game Helfrich ever play called. Can you be a good coordinator and not call plays? I guess, but not likely.
    Okay, nevermind
  • PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,730 Founders Club
  • dtddtd Member Posts: 4,507 Standard Supporter
    Gladstone said:

Gladstone said:

I am pretty firmly (lulz) against Helfrich as it's still debated how much of an impact he really had while working under revolutionary-at-the-time Chip. And he sucked everywhere else.

That being said, to play devil's advocate you can also argue that Chip never was remotely as good either once he was separated from Helfrich. And the VAJ Oregon offense might have been their best O of that era if he had stayed healthy. So yeah idk.

Helfrich had his play calling duties stripped after the Boise St game in 2009. That was the first and only game Helfrich ever play called. Can you be a good coordinator and not call plays? I guess, but not likely.
    Frost called plays 2013 and onward? Helf never did? Holy christ. So much for playing devil's advocate.
    Correct. I'm sure Helf called things here and there, but he has not been the primary play caller for a team since 2008. Kelly, Frost, and Nagy all called the plays. Helf is a glorified analyst.
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 15,415 Swaye's Wigwam
    dtd said:

Gladstone said:

Gladstone said:

Frost called plays 2013 and onward? Helf never did? Holy christ. So much for playing devil's advocate.
    Correct. I'm sure Helf called things here and there, but he has not been the primary play caller for a team since 2008. Kelly, Frost, and Nagy all called the plays. Helf is a glorified analyst.
    Is it possible we hired him as an assistant a la tedford with someone else doing playcalling. Im on board with that.
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,042 Standard Supporter
    For fuck saKe I go back to work today and we let this happen!?!

Firmly against sling blade.

That said he is probably better than bush. But still.
  • dtddtd Member Posts: 4,507 Standard Supporter

dtd said:

Gladstone said:

Gladstone said:

Is it possible we hired him as an assistant a la tedford with someone else doing playcalling. Im on board with that.
    It's entirely possible he'd be a fantastic play caller. /shrug I think his biggest issue is that he hits on his QB recruits about 1 in 4 times.
  • NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,792
    A counterpoint to bring up for everyone saying it was all Chip at Oregon:

Why have Chip’s offenses at UCLA sucked and looked nothing schematically like the elite ones he had at Oregon?
  • UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,110
    NEsnake12 said:

A counterpoint to bring up for everyone saying it was all Chip at Oregon:

Why have Chip’s offenses at UCLA sucked and looked nothing schematically like the elite ones he had at Oregon?

Pretty sure he's intentionally changed his offense since Oregon.
  • BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365

Hiring coordinators is far more art than science. Our best OC in recent history, Gilby, we got from Idaho. Times have changed. Gilby left a HC job to make $55,000 as our OC. Gilby won at Idaho, too. Had this occurred today, he'd have a host of quality HC options which of course he would have failed miserably.

There's the lottery ticket, a young slick Kliff Kingsbury starter kit, unproven, installs the spread, abandons the run and signs 5 WR recruiting classes. No TEs. No RB. No thanks.

The bar is fucking low when Sark is calling plays in Tuscaloosa.

I want a balanced up tempo offense. No more immobile QBs. Helfrich signed Mariotta and Herbert. They worked out ok. A Heisman for Mariotta. Herbert goes in the top-10, with a good OL he led Oregon to a top 5 finish. Cristobal signed Cale Millen
  • DoogWhispererDoogWhisperer Member Posts: 1,024
    From what I’ve been reading he hasn’t called plays but he is smart. Yes, even Lubbick called plays when he was there lol.

One thing that hasn’t been talked about - dude can’t recruit.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823

From what I’ve been reading he hasn’t called plays but he is smart. Yes, even Lubbick called plays when he was there lol.

One thing that hasn’t been talked about - dude can’t recruit.

Winners win. Losers talk about recruiting
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    Sling blade has rose bowl win