Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Wichita St and the NCAA Tournament

1235»

Comments

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I've never been one to back down from my opinions ... so whatever. Better to have an opinion and be wrong than to sit in the corner and watch others do your thinking for you.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

I've never been one to back down from my opinions ... so whatever. Better to have an opinion and be wrong than to sit in the corner and watch others do your thinking for you.

Kim Grinolds feels the same way.

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah

• Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    What are you idiots talking about? That was not Kim like.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited March 2014

What are you idiots talking about? That was not Kim like.

I was just fucking with him. I agreed with Tequilla and thought Wichita State would beat Kentucky rather easily (I want to throw in 34-17, but it doesn't fit here.) The only thing I thought was stupid was about Creighton. But what about all the times Tequilla was right?

• Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary

Tequilla said:

I love all the people whining and crying about the "draw" that Wichita State has to get to the Final Four.

People talk about Kentucky ... a Kentucky team that has lost 10 games playing in a dreckfest of a conference in the SEC that has 2.5 teams in the NCAA Tournament. The same Kentucky team that is being said to be "hitting their stride" yet has lost 4 of their last 7? Apparently moral losses against a Florida team that everybody says is great that I'm still not 100% sold on them being anything more than a talented but somewhat hot/cold offensive team that is viewed as being a great defensive team because of the competition that they've played in the SEC. Kansas St is at least as talented as Kentucky (from what they've shown - although certainly Kentucky probably has a higher ceiling if they both play their best) yet everybody thinks it's a given that Kentucky will just waltz on through that game?

Then everybody talks about how great Louisville is but that conference they play in is full of teams that are either decent with limited offensive ability or just downright terrible. It's definitely not the same team that they were last year when they won a national title ... even though everybody would make you want to think that they are.

Michigan is probably the weakest 2 seed along with Villanova. And Duke's shown time after time this year that they are great as long as you don't hit them in the mouth but they definitely aren't physical.

Not saying that Wichita State's path is easy ... but people making it out to be the hardest path in the world might as well just say that they don't think that their record is for real and that their team is talented. Something tells me that since Gregg Marshall is a good coach (hello Kim Jong Vino) that he'll make sure that he has his team properly motivated and fully aware that most people don't think that they are worth a damn.

Louisville is better than a 4 seed, shitty conference or not. The only thing I agree with you about is Kentucky isnt that good.

dhdawg said:

I'm picking arizona to be the only 1 seed to make the final four basically because of path. Wisconsin is a perennial choker in the tourny. Creighton outside of 1 or 2 games hasn't really impressed me, I think Okie State will be their toughest game in their region.
    If Embid gets healthy I think Kansas can beat Florida, if not that pick is screwed.
    I picked Michigan State over Virginia, thought hard about picking ISU over them in the elite eight.
    And then I like Duke over Wichita, basically because I don't want to risk putting wichita in the final four because I'm not sold they beat LU.
    When Embid is healthy I think Kansas is the best team, mainly because of that stretch in midseason when they knocked off like 5 ranked teams, and I trust Self

dhdawg said:

I'm picking arizona to be the only 1 seed to make the final four basically because of path. Wisconsin is a perennial choker in the tourny. Creighton outside of 1 or 2 games hasn't really impressed me, I think Okie State will be their toughest game in their region.
    If Embid gets healthy I think Kansas can beat Florida, if not that pick is screwed.
    I picked Michigan State over Virginia, thought hard about picking ISU over them in the elite eight.
    And then I like Duke over Wichita, basically because I don't want to risk putting wichita in the final four because I'm not sold they beat LU.
    When Embid is healthy I think Kansas is the best team, mainly because of that stretch in midseason when they knocked off like 5 ranked teams, and I trust Self

When did Arizona fire Sean Miller?
    I think I got all the low tweaks I needed.
    yes my picks were fucking stupid (except for MSU) but I never once said Arizona was going to make the final four because of miller. No one outside of Wisconsin and Arizona were any good in that bracket, and I just went ahead and assumed ryan would flare out early like always (almost did, if oregon gets a rebound or calls a TO we may be having a different conversation). Wisconsin surprised me, and they deserve credit.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited March 2014
    Miller got outcoached which didn't surprise me one bit. But I picked Arizona because of the region, Ryan made his first final four in 13 years, that shows how much of a dreckfest it really was
  • Options
    dhdawg said:

Miller got outcoached which didn't surprise me one bit. But I picked Arizona because of the region, Ryan made his first final four in 13 years, that shows how much of a dreckfest it really was

According to Harvey Road this year College Basketball was good and not a dreckfest.......
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

dhdawg said:

According to Harvey Road this year College Basketball was good and not a dreckfest.......
    Harvey Road misses the REAL good old days of college basketball before the shot clock.
  • Options

dhdawg said:

Harvey Road misses the REAL good old days of college basketball before the shot clock.
    CHRIST! The game is already long and boring with all the reviews could you imagine no shot clock? Fuck that!
  • Options
    PurpleMicrodotPurpleMicrodot Member Posts: 66
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

dhdawg said:

CHRIST! The game is already long and boring with all the reviews could you imagine no shot clock? Fuck that!
    This. I think it was OSU-ASU in the 70s that I watched that finished 18-16 or something like that. Watching 40 minutes of 4 corner offense was AWESOME!
  • Options

dhdawg said:

This. I think it was OSU-ASU in the 70s that I watched that finished 18-16 or something like that. Watching 40 minutes of 4 corner offense was AWESOME!
    Up until recently it was why HS basketball games were sometimes so boring as teams would fucking stall it out. You'd see final scores be 14-12 in overtime. Who wants to see that nonsense?

Also before Boobs jumps in I was going to HS basketball games while I was in HS.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

dhdawg said:

Up until recently it was why HS basketball games were sometimes so boring as teams would fucking stall it out. You'd see final scores be 14-12 in overtime. Who wants to see that nonsense?

Also before Boobs jumps in I was going to HS basketball games while I was in HS.
    I wasn't going to judge if you had posted pics of the girls.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

dhdawg said:

Harvey Road misses the REAL good old days of college basketball before the shot clock Ponzi when he still had money to gamble.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I still think that Creighton was a good team ... but they ran into a team that posed a bad matchup for them and played about as well as they could play that day. A complete buzz saw. I definitely missed on that one.

In hindsight, the Wichita St loss by Kentucky is great for the moral victory column in showing that Wichita St was more contender than pretender.

It's what we love about the NCAA Tournament in that it is 1 day, 1 game, and anything can happen. It's what got us to a point of having a 1, 2, 7, and 8 seed in the Final Four.

But at the same time, it also hurts the team that either didn't play it's absolute best or runs up against a team that played at the top end of its range. One of the things that makes the NCAAs so dangerous is that there are teams like Baylor every year where their ceiling is towards the top but is so inconsistent that they end up with crappy seeds (which they earned).

Winning a national championship requires skill and luck in avoiding some tough teams and teams playing well above their head.

It's amazing the road that Florida has taken to the Final Four and possibly the National Championship game: 16-seed, 9-seed, 4-seed, 11-seed, and 7-seed.