Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

What I'm hearing...

I think Peterson also learned that you get a different "type" of player at UW vs Boise.

Sure his classes at UW were much higher rated, but he wasn't getting the academic causalities and non qualifiers that showed up in Boise with A GIANT CHIP on their shoulder like he had at BSU. This effects the mentality of a football team really for the better, instead he got a lot of guys that are enamored with the flash and dash of just being in Seattle and "getting chicks man". A lot of the things that help you get the best recruits isn't totally helpful in making them great players. Plus a lot like Mike Riley he wouldn't just flat out lie to players and say what he needed to say to get them to commit.
I think he also learned how much of a grind it is to have to play 9-10 LEGIT teams, not being able to coast for 8 games of the season and prep your 2nd and 3rd team against the Cal Polys and Utah States of the world, instead you gotta strap up or a OSU or CAL or Zona is gonna come eat your lunch.

I like Peterson, I think he is a heck of a coach, but I just didn't totally buy that he was going to make UW a National Powerhouse ala 1991.

Lastly, I don't think he is done coaching totally. 2-3 year break max.

Comments

• UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,104
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer

I think Peterson also learned that you get a different "type" of player at UW vs Boise.

Sure his classes at UW were much higher rated, but he wasn't getting the academic causalities and non qualifiers that showed up in Boise with A GIANT CHIP on their shoulder like he had at BSU. This effects the mentality of a football team really for the better, instead he got a lot of guys that are enamored with the flash and dash of just being in Seattle and "getting chicks man". A lot of the things that help you get the best recruits isn't totally helpful in making them great players. Plus a lot like Mike Riley he wouldn't just flat out lie to players and say what he needed to say to get them to commit.
    I think he also learned how much of a grind it is to have to play 9-10 LEGIT teams, not being able to coast for 8 games of the season and prep your 2nd and 3rd team against the Cal Polys and Utah States of the world, instead you gotta strap up or a OSU or CAL or Zona is gonna come eat your lunch.

I like Peterson, I think he is a heck of a coach, but I just didn't totally buy that he was going to make UW a National Powerhouse ala 1991.

Disagree
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Hey Petersen!!! This isn't the WAC!!!
  • CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,856
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club

• HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,161
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    WTF are you talking about

Boise has same academic requirements for athletes that UW has
  • BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    HuskyJW said:

WTF are you talking about

Boise has same academic requirements for athletes that UW has

This is what I’m hearing. Don’t twist.