Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Cooper McDonald, 2020 3* LB, Justin (Northwest), TX (Committed)

Comments

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

TacoSoup said:

dnc said:

FirePete said:

77 Rose Bowl we trick whipped Michigan and held on to win

81 Rose Bowl Michigan whipped us physically

84 Orange Bowl we belonged with Oklahoma but our recruiting was flawed leading to 5 years in the desert.

James could develop and coach but realized he needed better players

By 91 we could whip anyone. The fumes lasted until 94 with wins over the Buckeyes and Canes.

Then we started losing big games again because we didn't develop and recruiting slid

By Gilby we had nothing

Everything does matter because nothing lasts forever

Petersen is close but you can't be satisfied. Ever.

Talent, coaching, facilities, and support.

race does the current state of the program feel like the late 80 again?
    The late 80s were shit by and large. 89 we finally showed some life. The Freedom Bowel announced we were for real, and everything else flowed from that.

The last three years have been far better than the late 80s across the bored except we don’t have that signature bowl win.
    Going 4-4 against ASU in the 80's is the biggest indictment against DJ
    John Cooper was a tuff football coach

Too bad Bitchfork wasn't born yet
    Huskies can't run in the snow desert!
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

We’re also targeting guys that just about every legit school wants

So yes, it is true that we are being selective

It is also true that we’re still largely hitting on top 3-4 targeted players

I’m not having the Gregory is a great recruiter conversation because he isn’t.

But the arguments presented here in evaluating recruits are one sided at best and need to be benchmarked

Also, Jimmy Lake largely whiffed on his top tier this year and it’s not uncommon that he whiffs a decent amount (by the standards of some) each year

It’s why everything needs to have a healthy balance of short term takes and LIPO

This sentence alone handicaps what you’re saying about evaluating.

We’re offering the same kids as these other big schools. Rome Odunze was a late find and we offered him after Penn State and Oklahoma. Evaluating and recruiting are different. I’m sorry that it feels like parsing but offering someone like Esteen early is evaluating well, getting a kid not to visit Colorado who’s best offers are Baylor and Utah is just getting a lazy win. Period.

I’m not trying to argue or shit on the kid, but we need to get to a level where we look at a failure and call it a failure.
    There’s incomplete information out there ... so just going by timing of offers as your foundation can lead to flawed results and conclusions

Moreover, there are all kinds of reasons why you win/lose in recruiting.

Listening to a recent Evan Weaver about why he went to Cal and he said it was because he wanted to be a leader in establishing something new. It could all be BS rationalization after the fact but the reasons why kids pick schools is far from black and white.

• Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,274
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

We’re also targeting guys that just about every legit school wants

So yes, it is true that we are being selective

It is also true that we’re still largely hitting on top 3-4 targeted players

I’m not having the Gregory is a great recruiter conversation because he isn’t.

But the arguments presented here in evaluating recruits are one sided at best and need to be benchmarked

Also, Jimmy Lake largely whiffed on his top tier this year and it’s not uncommon that he whiffs a decent amount (by the standards of some) each year

It’s why everything needs to have a healthy balance of short term takes and LIPO

At certain positions. Other positions we are consistently failing at. Funny how there's a strong correlation both ways with the position coaches recruiting.

Damaged goods? But seriously, I think everyone knows that at DB we've struck out with some top tier talent, we are ok when that hasn't been a consistent theme, when the B plan guys are also "really" fucking good bc Jimmy is a proven great evaluater who can actually pick out diamonds in the rough. We've also leveled up at DB where we are taking our shot at the best of the best and realize our product isn't the best yet. Some failures are bound to be a part of that growth. Not so much with LB recruiting...

How much longer should we LIPO with Gregory? 5 years? Also, notice, I'm advocating for him and Kwat to get "help" not to be fired. Do what you gotta do to help them succeed. The current modus operandi isn't acceptable at this level.
  • Options
    guntloveguntlove Member Posts: 784
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    dawgs206 said:

Bob Gregory needs to step it up on the recruiting trail. No other way to say it. He's been a great LB coach and a big reason we've had a dominate defense the past few years, but he's also inherited more than any other position coach.

-Inherited Dante Pettis and John Ross as return extraordinaires. Last year without the pair we were #108 in Punt return O, #111 in Kick-off Return O... Also, #97 in Punt return D, #76 in Kick-off D. WE SUCKED. That doesn't include not having a kicker that can hit from 35+ yards, which cost us 1 game against Oregon last year and 1 against ASU in 2017. Gregory is likely going to get TWO scholarships devoted to a Punter and long-snapper this class. They better be All-Americans and I don't exactly have faith they will be.

-This might be a bit of a reach, but no denying he has benefited from our string of DT's. 5 DT's drafted since he got here in 2014, including 2 first rounders and 4/5 drafted in the first 4 rounds. That helps as an ILB coach. He gets credit for BBK, 2016 Azeem and Bierria. The 2019 recruiting class is stacked at ILB and credit him for that, but he's treading water for 2020 and 2021 has MASSIVE potential (with plenty of UW ties) that we need to capitalize on.

Even if our ILB continues to be top notch, we need to see improvement in special teams play and recruiting or some sort of change is needed. Like having a 10th coach help with OLB/ILB instead of shadowing Jimmy. How much does Cort make at Louisville?

Really good poast, 206.
  • Options
    I feel like a broken record ... but NOBODY is saying that Gregory is a great recruiter.

Special teams coaching is interesting to me ... we largely failed last year due to a lack of depth at positions that feed into special teams. Some of that is on Gregory.

Saying our LBs are good because the DL has been good is laughable to me

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,506
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Special teams sucked last year and most years under Petersen other than D Money punt returns

Coaches are stubborn. So are bosses. Its hard for them to admit they aren't doing something well because that's how they do it and they are successful so who are you to disagree?

Lose again to Oregon based on special teams and hit the road Jack
  • Options
    PenacePenace Member Posts: 494
    If this was the NFL This kid is like a 7th round draft pick or more likely undrafted free agent. A guy that you don't even expect to make the fucking team. Why in the fuck are we accepting his commitment in July?
    Why in the fuck are we offering him in May.
    I'm sorry but his commitment feels like a loss.
  • Options
    MelloDawgMelloDawg Member Posts: 6,137
    The doog take on this is great.

"I think I trust the coaches more than you."
    "Petersen recruits players, not stars."
    "Steve Emtman was a 2-star"

Fuck. These are the same people who loved Sark each and every year and were too chicken shit to say they all endorsed Willingham for his 4th year. When you start spouting off nonsense that justifies why a 3-star is an awesome and game changing athlete for us, you should drink bleach.
  • Options
    whuggywhuggy Member Posts: 2,088
    This thread is really turning into BBK Sucks thread Part II. The backtracking could be entertaining as fuck if/when the kid becomes a big contributor.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,274
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    whuggy said:

This thread is really turning into BBK Sucks thread Part II. The backtracking could be entertaining as fuck if/when the kid becomes a big contributor.

Meh, I don't think he sucks but was he one of our "top" targets or did we settle? That's the debate.
  • Options

whuggy said:

Meh, I don't think he sucks but was he one of our "top" targets or did we settle? That's the debate.
    Probably somewhere in the middle

We could definitely do worse
  • Options
    dawgs206 said:

Tequilla said:

I feel like a broken record ... but NOBODY is saying that Gregory is a great recruiter.

Special teams coaching is interesting to me ... we largely failed last year due to a lack of depth at positions that feed into special teams. Some of that is on Gregory.

Saying our LBs are good because the DL has been good is laughable to me

We were bad at pretty much everything related to special teams in 2018. Our depth should be better than most of the PAC-12 so that isn’t a great excuse. Are you saying WSU and OSU had better depth in 2018? That is largely coaching.

I didn’t say our DL is the reason our LB’s are good. I said it makes Gregory’s job easier. Outside of BBK and 2016 Azeem and Bierria I would say our LB’s have been good, but not the strength of our D. If he is going to be a liability in recruiting and special teams (LIPO a little here) we should expect amazing LB play.
    DB depth wasn’t great last year ... huge ST contributors

LB depth sucked last year ... obviously ST contributors

K and P have largely sucked for a while ... that’s an issue that’s been around for a while
  • Options
    NLdawgNLdawg Member Posts: 53
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper 5 Up Votes
    edited July 2019

Bi-polar much?

If that comment got you like that, you might need to take a walk to get some perspective and to also ensure you can handle this place.

I’ve taken many walks.

Look, this is obviously right. I shouldn’t have lashed out, but I did. It’s been danced around here for quite some time. Now I’ve said it directly. Sorry @LaMichael_Corleone, I like your stuff and generally agree with you, but the twitter stuff beyond gifs, likes, and emojis is, IMV, too much. I’ll meet you at 7-11 to settle this as civilized men do.
  • Options
    LaMichael_CorleoneLaMichael_Corleone Member Posts: 1,316
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment Name Dropper
    edited July 2019
    NLdawg said:

Bi-polar much?

If that comment got you like that, you might need to take a walk to get some perspective and to also ensure you can handle this place.

I’ve taken many walks.

Look, this is obviously right. I shouldn’t have lashed out, but I did. It’s been danced around here for quite some time. Now I’ve said it directly. Sorry @LaMichael_Corleone, I like your stuff and generally agree with you, but the twitter stuff beyond gifs, likes, and emojis is, IMV, too much. I’ll meet you at 7-11 to settle this as civilized men do.

I think you’re taking this a lil too seriously my man. And you fucked up the quoting so it makes me look like I said this stupid ass shit. Tough day for ya. Ya hate to see it.
  • Options
    NLdawgNLdawg Member Posts: 53
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper 5 Up Votes
    edited July 2019

Ha ha. Yeah, this has really ruined my day.
  • Options
    BallzBallz Member Posts: 4,735
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs