Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Cooper McDonald, 2020 3* LB, Justin (Northwest), TX (Committed)

Comments

• Options
    BallzBallz Member Posts: 4,735
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs

Swaye said:

Also, not impressed. It's July and we are taking some try hard from Texas? I'm fine with this offer in November when all the top guys have told the dynamic duo of Kwat and Shitbird to fuck off, but Plan B guys in July is a bad look. At least it's not Plan C? FML

I’m willing to LIPO and withhold judgment until after the senior season hudl comes out.

Herbig and Botelho were major fuck ups. We? got beat out for guys that should have been easy gets. Let’s just get that out of the way first and foremost.

As for this kid, his ranking doesn’t bother me. I think it’s actually pretty low and Wiltfong mentioned it should be higher. Likely .85 or .86. That would be right in line with Ah You and Tuputala, who we all love. The ranking doesn’t mean shit. The tape does.

His Junior tape isn’t amazing. But he has good size that matches what has been recruited at ILB the last two classes with guys like Sirmon/Calvert/Tuputala/Heimuli, hits like a truck and dudes go down quick, he has decent quickness and speed, and has a nose for turnovers and takes them to the house when he gets them.

This is not Clemson and Bama Level. Obviously. I wanted Herbig and Botelho. I want Smalls and Banks. But this kid was identified early. He committed the July before his Senior year, not January after it.

We didn’t hate Tafisi, Tuputala, or Ah You because their ranking sucked.

I’m waiting until his senior film comes out. If he hasn’t improved or doesn’t wow me, I’ll shit on him then.
    The coaches should have waited to see his Senior film before taking his commitment.
  • Options
    NoWarningJustDawgNoWarningJustDawg Member Posts: 1,000
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    I hate myself and want to die, so today's level of TBS angst is very comforting.

Not going to talk about his talent level, as it seems like others have it more than covered. I'll LIPO I guess. Good for you, Cooper.

I'd be interested to see, if he blows up his senior year and TX schools or OU come sniffing around, if Pete could hold onto him. Typically these kids seem to just flirt with us until, say, UT offers, but Pete has fewer decommits than just about everyone but Dabo. IWIWBI

Cheers--
  • Options
    fosterworthfosterworth Member Posts: 73
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Name Dropper 5 Awesomes
  • Options
    TacoSoupTacoSoup Member Posts: 148
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    guntlove said:

Kwat is an evil genius coordinator who is fucking drowning in recruiting. Drowning. And for whatever reason, Pete seems content to just watch him gurgle. Super frustrating, considering we couldn't get off the field on third down in the Fiesta Bowl, then had to watch Haskins throw all over us in the Rose Bowl. We need a fucking pass rush.

Gregory and Kwat have been atrocious in recruiting this year... it will continue to hold us back until Pete decides to do something about it.

Lake called plays in the Fiesta Bowl and called them all last year... This doesn't make sense.

Also, the sack rate was good until last season. 1 bad (and it was bad) season in 5.
  • Options
    TacoSoup said:

guntlove said:

Kwat is an evil genius coordinator who is fucking drowning in recruiting. Drowning. And for whatever reason, Pete seems content to just watch him gurgle. Super frustrating, considering we couldn't get off the field on third down in the Fiesta Bowl, then had to watch Haskins throw all over us in the Rose Bowl. We need a fucking pass rush.

Gregory and Kwat have been atrocious in recruiting this year... it will continue to hold us back until Pete decides to do something about it.

Lake called plays in the Fiesta Bowl and called them all last year... This doesn't make sense.

Also, the sack rate was good until last season. 1 bad (and it was bad) season in 5.
    It's been bad since Kikaha left.
  • Options
    guntloveguntlove Member Posts: 784
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    TacoSoup said:

guntlove said:

I think the sack numbers in 2017 benefited from the fact that we had a generational talent inside with Vea.... but we were getting no heat from the edge (copyright @passion). Then as you said, the sack numbers fell off a cliff in 2018. So we're not trending in a very good direction.

But my concern isn't with the play calling, it's with the failure to recruit OLBs who have bend and can get around the edge... this has been a problem for going on five fucking years. Last years OLB class might be the one exception... But even then, I don't really know what we got with Trice - he certainly doesn't blow you away on film. I'm really excited about Latu... just hope he doesn't outgrow the position.

Gregory and Kwat fail A LOT in recruiting. It's a problem and apparently its gonna continue to be a problem because Pete doesn't seem to want to do anything about it. Butttt... Getting Banks and Smalls this year would go a long ways toward turning this thing back in the right direction. Get 'er done!!!!
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    TacoSoup said:

TacoSoup said:

guntlove said:

This isn't great math but it'll do the trick.

2014: UW averaged 10.21 sacks + TFL per game... Defense faced 1068 plays. 1068/14 = 76.28 avg. plays per game. 10.21/76.28 = 13.3% of plays are sack or TFL
    2015: UW averaged 9.62 sacks + TFL per game... Defense faced 933 plays. 933/13 = 71.76 plays per game. 9.62/71.76 = 13.4% of plays are sack or TFL
    2016: UW averaged 9.36 sacks + TFL per game... Defense faced 963 plays. 963/14 = 68.78 plays per game. 9.36/68.78 = 13.6% of plays are sack or TFL
    2017: UW averaged 9.62 sacks + TFL per game... Defense faced 876 plays. 876/13 = 67.38 plays per game. 9.62/67.38 = 14.2% of plays are sack or TFL

2018 was so bad it doesn't matter.
    TFL does not necessarily have the same impact as a sack. I'd love to see this broken down by sacks and TFLs.
  • Options
    TacoSoup said:

TacoSoup said:

guntlove said:

2014: UW averaged 10.21 sacks + TFL per game... Defense faced 1068 plays. 1068/14 = 76.28 avg. plays per game. 10.21/76.28 = 13.3% of plays are sack or TFL
    2015: UW averaged 9.62 sacks + TFL per game... Defense faced 933 plays. 933/13 = 71.76 plays per game. 9.62/71.76 = 13.4% of plays are sack or TFL
    2016: UW averaged 9.36 sacks + TFL per game... Defense faced 963 plays. 963/14 = 68.78 plays per game. 9.36/68.78 = 13.6% of plays are sack or TFL
    2017: UW averaged 9.62 sacks + TFL per game... Defense faced 876 plays. 876/13 = 67.38 plays per game. 9.62/67.38 = 14.2% of plays are sack or TFL

UW has been in the bottom half of the conference in sacks since Kikaha left.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

TacoSoup said:

TacoSoup said:

guntlove said:

5th in 2015, 2nd in 2016, 2nd in 2017.

Do you ever know what the fuck you're talking about?
    Those are false stats. Don't know where you're getting them from. Maybe if you include sacks by inside linebackers and DB's. As far as sacks from D-lineman, UW has been in the bottom half of the conference for years.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

TacoSoup said:

TacoSoup said:

guntlove said:

5th in 2015, 2nd in 2016, 2nd in 2017.

Do you ever know what the fuck you're talking about?
    Those are false stats. Don't know where you're getting them from. Maybe if you include sacks by inside linebackers and DB's. As far as sacks from D-lineman, UW has been in the bottom half of the conference for years.
    Lol get the fuck right out of here with that shit. Sacks by DBs and inside linebackers all of a sudden don't count because you say so. Got it.

Jesus Christ you have a complete inability to ever admit you're wrong. Shit, I'd respect you more if you just slinked away and never acknowledged the fact that you were wrong. But nah, it's always your instinct to move the goal posts and twist whatever dumb shit you initially said to try to save face and somehow prove yourself right. Which you almost never are.
    You obviously know what the fuck I meant. If we are discussing UW's pass rush, sacks from blitzing linebackers and DB's shouldn't be in the fucking discussion. That skews the data and it's a sign that you aren't good enough with your front 4 if you have to supplement the pass rush with other guys who should be in coverage. The pass rush has been a weak link for this team since Kikaha left. You're trying to say it wasn't so bad and it's bullshit. It's been bad for years now.