Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

White Privilege

13»

Comments

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I feel really sorry for Haie.
  • Options
    TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Tequilla said:

Tailgater hits it spot on ...

You made a great point earlier. People with great educations often think they are entitled to jobs and success because they did well in school. It doesn't always work that way. You still have to do the same shit as everyone else. You are right about the world changing, but really successful people have been using the same formula as always. Hard work, who you know, self promotion, and a little luck.

My Great Depression era father used to tell me: "The harder I work, the luckier I get." It's an old tired expression, but it stuck with me throughout my professional life.

Tech jobs requiring engineering and science educations and experience are the future, but are not these days all about computer programming and computer engineering. The exciting opportunities are in such leading edge stuff as robotics and biotech disciplines to name just a couple. Research and spinning-off new concepts and discoveries into products and startup opportunities is big wherever tech jobs reside such as western Washington state and places like the UW where R&D is a $billion industry.

The problem with liberal arts in the job market isn't that such stuff isn't interesting and useful or challenging, but that it is struggling to remain relevant in a ultra-conservative anti-social hate-industry environment. Or in other words, tearing down big government to it's lowest possible corruption simply can never be a growth industry in need of America's best and brightest. Embrace the word and theology of science and thank God every day that the word science was invented not so long ago, or such useful things as math, physics, biology, and chemistry would still be labeled (gasp!)....... philosophy.

• Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,490
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

If you are being sarcastic, then I owe you a thumbs up. The whole point of me posting that shit is that not all liberal arts graduates sit around and expect the job industry to conform to them, and not all of them are liberal pussies. I could honestly care less about going back to school, it's a choice, it's not like I'm a comm major from Eastern. And for the record, my degree at UW was way harder than this shit show in Vancouver.

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2014
    haie said:

If you are being sarcastic, then I owe you a thumbs up. The whole point of me posting that shit is that not all liberal arts graduates sit around and expect the job industry to conform to them, and not all of them are liberal pussies. I could honestly care less about going back to school, it's a choice, it's not like I'm a comm major from Eastern. And for the record, my degree at UW was way harder than this shit show in Vancouver.

I wa actually being serious. A 3.8 at UW is tough and that is bullshit you were making less than $15 an hour. I would be pissed of I were you. Hopefully there's some big bucks in your future.

• Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper

Tequilla said:

Tailgater hits it spot on ...

Most people I know when I was going to school are more interested in getting drunk, doing drugs, and having sex than they are about building a foundation for their professional life. I'm not saying that any of those things are bad, but they are generally in contrast to putting hard work in academically that will lead to building the needed professional foundation.

Drinking, doing drugs, and having a great fucking time is possibly the best way to network. Doing that stuff in college didn't really get me anywhere, but it has gotten me some very good jobs since college. It's similar to men who do business on the golf course or at the bar after playing 18. It's important, and in many jobs with social aspects, if you don't do it, you fall behind.

You made a great point earlier. People with great educations often think they are entitled to jobs and success because they did well in school. It doesn't always work that way. You still have to do the same shit as everyone else. You are right about the world changing, but really successful people have been using the same formula as always. Hard work, who you know, self promotion, and a little luck.

So... drinking doing drugs and having a great fucking time in college is what made you the awesome serial poaster you are today?

• Options
    no_uhno_uh Member Posts: 760
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Hot news, Tequilla = SMU MBA which equals LO fucking L, how hard has your life been trying to pretend you are prestigious for all these years?

Get a presidential library then pop off.