Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

White Privilege

Comments

• Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,842
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

There's probably something to it in rare cases, but 99% of the time the people whining about it ignore things like hard work, creativity, iniative etc. and focus on making everyone who fails a victim.

I'm way more worried about income inequality and a lack of upward mobility.

Income inequality and upward mobility? You obviously majored in liberal arts. Holy fuckall
    Bingo, and both are continually getting worse.
  • Options
    3db_thegreatest3db_thegreatest Member Posts: 14
    First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Hot news, Tequilla = SMU MBA which equals LO fucking L, how hard has your life been trying to pretend you are prestigious for all these years?
  • Options
    TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

There's probably something to it in rare cases, but 99% of the time the people whining about it ignore things like hard work, creativity, iniative etc. and focus on making everyone who fails a victim.

I'm way more worried about income inequality and a lack of upward mobility.

Income inequality and upward mobility? You obviously majored in liberal arts. Holy fuckall
    Bingo, and both are continually getting worse.
    Speaking of majors, an article in the UWAA magazine last year (also in The Seattle Times) reported that companies and corporations in western Washington state were failing to fill approximately 37,000 openings for tech degreed engineering, math, and science majors. The state's colleges and universities have never been able to graduate enough BS degrees to even come close to filling the tech jobs available probably going all the way back to the startup of Boeing..... and have traditionally made up the slack by recruiting techs from all over the USA, Europe, Asia, and even the Third World, except for a few places such as Kansas where science in public schools is banned or shunned.

But now it seems there are few techs available from traditional out-of-state sources. In response to the dire need, a group of local companies have combined with the UW to raise financing for expansion of engineering and science colleges and degree programs and to organize a lobbying effort led by Bill Gates Sr. to pry public money out of state politicians and taxpayers who have their heads stuck where the sun of knowledge never shines. No offense to liberal arts majors, but too many of you are avoiding BS programs required to fill high paying tech jobs, most of which by the way are one hell of a lot of fun. I can only presume this is because of the difficulty and hard work associated in classroom mythology with that evil Godless word...... science.

Blame it on Obama.

• Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

This thread really sucks ass

You have bad manners. Did your mother not wash your mouth out with feces when you were growing up?
  • Options
    3db_thegreatest3db_thegreatest Member Posts: 14
    First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Tailgater crushed it during MS DOS 1.0.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,488
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I might be able to add something to this discussion: graduated from UW in 2010 with honors (3.81) in liberal arts (no need to specify which one since they're all the same to non-liberal arts majors); did a few independent research projects for professors (completely irrelevant to anything but what they were researching). Haven't ever made more than 15ish$/hour if I'm remembering correctly, mainly just made 10-11 at jobs requiring no degree (but my UW degree got me them rather easily). Chose going for *another* bachelor's, this time in Computer Science over law school at some middling/shitty school somewhere. Hmm, yeah that about sums it up, I will be graduated next year and can say with certainty that Computer Science, despite its employment prospects, is fucking awful for anyone except WoW losers and Mac geeks. The school I go to now is a legitimate Pac-12 school (not fucking Oregon obviously) and my classmates rib me quite a bit about my other degree; I basically laugh at them because they didn't get to go/graduate from UW and I did. This was not a pity post or some political commentary, just adding one instance to the discussion.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    haie said:

I might be able to add something to this discussion: graduated from UW in 2010 with honors (3.81) in liberal arts (no need to specify which one since they're all the same to non-liberal arts majors); did a few independent research projects for professors (completely irrelevant to anything but what they were researching). Haven't ever made more than 15ish$/hour if I'm remembering correctly, mainly just made 10-11 at jobs requiring no degree (but my UW degree got me them rather easily). Chose going for *another* bachelor's, this time in Computer Science over law school at some middling/shitty school somewhere. Hmm, yeah that about sums it up, I will be graduated next year and can say with certainty that Computer Science, despite its employment prospects, is fucking awful for anyone except WoW losers and Mac geeks. The school I go to now is a legitimate Pac-12 school (not fucking Oregon obviously) and my classmates rib me quite a bit about my other degree; I basically laugh at them because they didn't get to go/graduate from UW and I did. This was not a pity post or some political commentary, just adding one instance to the discussion.

Going to Oregon to do Computer Science >>>>> Going to Washington to do liberal arts. Especially if you like money.
  • Options
    longduckdonglongduckdong Member Posts: 1,008
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    HFNY said:

Anything I ever do, accomplish, or achieve is because I am white and / or privileged...or at least so I've been told.

Wasnt this the last title of Derricks book?

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Tailgater hits it spot on ...

Most people I know when I was going to school are more interested in getting drunk, doing drugs, and having sex than they are about building a foundation for their professional life. I'm not saying that any of those things are bad, but they are generally in contrast to putting hard work in academically that will lead to building the needed professional foundation.

Somewhere we've decided that college should be some 4-6 year frat party and that "real life" starts afterwards.

Problem with that is that if you don't lay the right foundation, then you have no choice but to go back and do a "do over" once you wise up a bit.

As someone that has gone through a mathematics program at the UW, it's hard fucking work. Compared to many of the people that I had classes with, I definitely felt TequillaFS in those classes. Enough so that I realized that that wasn't going to be my future and decided to leverage the math background in business school and later getting a TCU MBA (TCU >>> SMU ... so fuck off if you think otherwise).

That being said, I can guarantee you that I'm far better off for going through the UW Mathematics program and that many of the lessons that I learned going through it (and often not realizing until later) have served me well.

There's plenty of opportunity for college students that are prepared to put in the hard work to be able to put themselves in a position to have a very successful professional career. Our ability as a country to fill these positions with our own people is as much of the solution as anything. Right now, we have too many people educated with a certain skill set and knowledge base that is borderline worthless to the business community.

• Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Tequilla said:

Most people I know when I was going to school are more interested in getting drunk, doing drugs, and having sex than they are about building a foundation for their professional life. I'm not saying that any of those things are bad, but they are generally in contrast to putting hard work in academically that will lead to building the needed professional foundation.

Somewhere we've decided that college should be some 4-6 year frat party and that "real life" starts afterwards.

Problem with that is that if you don't lay the right foundation, then you have no choice but to go back and do a "do over" once you wise up a bit.

As someone that has gone through a mathematics program at the UW, it's hard fucking work. Compared to many of the people that I had classes with, I definitely felt TequillaFS in those classes. Enough so that I realized that that wasn't going to be my future and decided to leverage the math background in business school and later getting a TCU MBA (TCU >>> SMU ... so fuck off if you think otherwise).

That being said, I can guarantee you that I'm far better off for going through the UW Mathematics program and that many of the lessons that I learned going through it (and often not realizing until later) have served me well.

There's plenty of opportunity for college students that are prepared to put in the hard work to be able to put themselves in a position to have a very successful professional career. Our ability as a country to fill these positions with our own people is as much of the solution as anything. Right now, we have too many people educated with a certain skill set and knowledge base that is borderline worthless to the business community.

You should post more often, blue balls is no joke.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure Oregon doesn't have CS/Engineering in the first place. It's the only rebuttal that beaver fans have at this point.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2014
    Tequilla said:

Drinking, doing drugs, and having a great fucking time is possibly the best way to network. Doing that stuff in college didn't really get me anywhere, but it has gotten me some very good jobs since college. It's similar to men who do business on the golf course or at the bar after playing 18. It's important, and in many jobs with social aspects, if you don't do it, you fall behind.

You made a great point earlier. People with great educations often think they are entitled to jobs and success because they did well in school. It doesn't always work that way. You still have to do the same shit as everyone else. You are right about the world changing, but really successful people have been using the same formula as always. Hard work, who you know, self promotion, and a little luck.

• Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

Tequilla said:

Drinking, doing drugs, and having a great fucking time is possibly the best way to network. Doing that stuff in college didn't really get me anywhere, but it has gotten me some very good jobs since college. It's similar to men who do business on the golf course or at the bar after playing 18. It's important, and in many jobs with social aspects, if you don't do it, you fall behind.

You made a great point earlier. People with great educations often think they are entitled to jobs and success because they did well in school. It doesn't always work that way. You still have to do the same shit as everyone else. You are right about the world changing, but really successful people have been using the same formula as always. Hard work, who you blow, self promotion, and a little luck.

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    The importance of networking can't be understated. Often times, drinking and having a great fucking time is a huge part of doing that. My point was simply that if you spend your time in college prioritizing how many keg stands you can do, how many sorority sluts you can fuck, and well you can hot box your apartment all at the expense of your education, then you're going to fucking struggle getting a job after school.

The sense of entitlement amongst the young people today is just downright fucktarded. You are right ... the secret to success really hasn't changed over the years: hard work, networking, protecting your interests, putting yourself in a position to be in the right place at the right time, and being smart enough to take advantage of those situations when they present themselves.
  • Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Tequilla said:

The importance of networking can't be understated. Often times, drinking and having a great fucking time is a huge part of doing that. My point was simply that if you spend your time in college prioritizing how many keg stands you can do, how many sorority sluts you can fuck, and well you can hot box your apartment all at the expense of your education, then you're going to fucking struggle getting a job after school.

The sense of entitlement amongst the young people today is just downright fucktarded. You are right ... the secret to success really hasn't changed over the years: hard work, networking, protecting your interests, putting yourself in a position to be in the right place at the right time, and being smart enough to take advantage of those situations when they present themselves.

Who you know and who you blow, like Tierbs said. That's what makes the world go round.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    nice. anyways I only commented to acknowledge that, this thread is not delivering in a big way.

• Options
    Networking in Seattle is where a Lakeside degree comes in handy ;)
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,793
    Founders Club
    haie said:

WSU-Vancouver in the house.