Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Photo of New Helmet.

PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
edited July 2013 in Hardcore Husky Board
Maybe Sark can get a fat gut and we can all turn into white trash fans so the conversion to oregon will be complete.

flickr.com/photos/98262885@N04/9178449913/

If alabama doesn't need to change its helmets to recruit well and win games, why do we? Of course, I could be just a curmudgeon.

Comments

• Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,093
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Passion said:

If alabama doesn't need to change its helmets to recruit well and win games, why do we? Of course, I could be just a curmudgeon.

Because we suck and our fans suck. There are two ways to recruit well: to win games or to do everything else. Our program has chosen the latter.

• Options
    PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2013
    Mad_Son said:

Passion said:

Because we suck and our fans suck. There are two ways to recruit well: to win games or to do everything else or both.

Fixed. The trash in eugene has done both.

Actually, I heard these helmets will help our OLs play better.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The kids and I really like the new helmets.
  • Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Passion said:

Maybe Sark can get a fat gut and we can all turn into white trash fans so the conversion to oregon will be complete.

Because Alabama hired a COACH, dammit

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah

Most doogs would like these helmets. Not surprised one bit.
  • Options
    TheKobeStopperTheKobeStopper Member Posts: 5,959
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment First Anniversary
    Passion said:

Ohio State, Michigan, Florida State, Miami, Texas, Oklahoma and Notre Dame all have alternate uniforms and helmets. If they do "need" to change what makes you think UW doesn't? Shitty anecdotal evidence, as always.

And those helmets are dope btw.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

Passion said:

Ohio State, Michigan, Florida State, Miami, Texas, Oklahoma and Notre Dame all have alternate uniforms and helmets. If they do "need" to change what makes you think UW doesn't? Shitty anecdotal evidence, as always.

They don't need to change. Those are just bitter and political money grabs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah

I like the helmets, but I don't like the timing or context of it. Sark is going no huddle just like Chip did. We're modeling our helmets just like the Ducks design theirs. This all sends a message that we're disregarding our own traditions in order to try to be like Oregon. And I don't like it, nor do I think it's necessary in order to be successful.

He's just finishing Todd Turner's work of turning UW into Oregon(minus the wins).
  • Options

I like the helmets, but I don't like the timing or context of it. Sark is going no huddle just like Chip did. We're modeling our helmets just like the Ducks design theirs. This all sends a message that we're disregarding our own traditions in order to try to be like Oregon. And I don't like it, nor do I think it's necessary in order to be successful.

I think you're over thinking this. Sarks going no huddle because lots of people are and it works. They're changing the helmets because lots of people are. I don't know if it helps in recruiting or not though.

Oregon was the first or one of the first to start a lot of things that are popular now. UW is just following the herd not trying to be like Oregon. Although there would be nothing wrong with trying to be like Oregon IMHO.
  • Options

Passion said:

They don't need to change. Those are just bitter and political money grabs.
    Very doogish.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,066
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

I think you're over thinking this. Sarks going no huddle because lots of people are and it works. They're changing the helmets because lots of people are. I don't know if it helps in recruiting or not though.

Oregon was the first or one of the first to start a lot of things that are popular now. UW is just following the herd not trying to be like Oregon. Although there would be nothing wrong with trying to be like Oregon IMHO.
    You may be right.
  • Options

The herd is trying to be like Oregon.

HTH
  • Options

HTH
    I think "everyone else is doing this, we should do it too" is different from "let's try and be just like Oregon".
  • Options

HTH
    I think "everyone else is doing this, we should do it too" is different from "let's try and be just like Oregon".
    I agree with that.

The problem I see is that Sark isn't doing any of the Oregon stuff better than Oregon does.

It's just further confirmation that Washington is truly Oregon's little brother now.
  • Options
    royotisroyotis Member Posts: 10
    First Comment
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,066
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

HTH
    I agree with that.

The problem I see is that Sark isn't doing any of the Oregon stuff better than Oregon does.

It's just further confirmation that Washington is truly Oregon's little brother now.
    I've been reading a lot lately about the bebop guys that shook up the jazz industry in the mid 1940s to mid 1950s. In fact, they were a lot like the HHBs. They thought that the swing bands smacked of conformity and did everything the opposite of the mainstream until it came to pass that THEY became what was hip and cool.

Charlie Parker led that revolution and played a totally different style of music. He REALLY stood out. But in subsequent years, and even after his early death, lots of imitators tried to dress, act, talk and play like him. But they were just cheap imitations. Had he stayed alive, he would have been doing something different by then.

So... Washington is like those cheap Charlie Parker imitators.
  • Options
    Look at Bebop Superiority Guy here.
  • Options
    CheersWestDawgCheersWestDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,475
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Swaye's Wigwam

Sarks going no huddle because lots of people are and it works.
    It works when the coaches and teams are good enough to play that style. If Sark goes hurry up no-huddle and all it gets him is a bunch of 3-and-outs and only 45 seconds burned off the game clock each possession, the defense is going to be gassed all fucking game. That's always been the challenge of teams that run a no huddle hurry up.

I know SERIOUS Arizona beat our ass last year, but in the games they lost their defense was sucking for air because they were on the field all fucking game. Just because Sark can't beat hurry up, no huddle offenses doesn't mean it's going to work for UW when he runs it.

It will be interesting to see if it works. If it doesn't work, it will be interesting.