Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Johnny Wilson, 2020 5* WR, Calabasas, CA (Offered 7/14/17)

Comments

• Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,796
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    edited May 2019
    Teq is such a fag. Fuck him he’s Fetters Jr
  • Options
    BallzBallz Member Posts: 4,735
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs
    edited May 2019

There ain't no catching up to be had. This is exactly what I already told you guys. It's not "lazy recruiting" when you don't really want the kid like that. This is what happens when you have a coaching staff that completely ignores star ratings and do their own evaluations. Sometimes they completely disagree with the ratings and prefer "3-star" kids (Rome Odunze and Sawyer Racanelli) over an overrated "5-star" kid. Wilson is Brayden Lenius 2.0. Don't know how many times I have to say that for it to sink in. He's not a great WR prospect. I don't care if he goes to Oregon or anywhere else. It's a win for us if a not so good WR or soft TE prospect goes to Oregon and further clogs up their roster. Move on. All I care about is the coaches getting who THEY want. Not who fan boys who don't know shit about football talent want. I get pissed when they whiff on guys they actually want. This isn't one of those instances.

He was offered by uw.
    That doesn't mean shit. How long have you all had to understand that not everybody UW offers is a guy they eventually want to sign. Even with how few offers they put out, they still offer way more kids than they can take. Every year, they offer kids early and then after further evaluation, they cool on some of them and don't want them anymore. It's not a perfect system.
    What the fuck are you talking about? Half this board is bitching about how slow we are to offer. But now we prematurely offered Wilson and are back pedaling?

Since you appear to be such a student of his film, what did coaches see in his freshman year film that didn't translate to his sophomore and junior seasons? Where did he fall off?
    Uh yeah, kinda like how they prematurely offered Criddell last cycle and many others they eventually backed off of. Recruiting is fluid. An offer doesn't automatically mean they want you. It means they're interested. The guys they sign and recruit hard as long as possible are the ones they really want.

What did they see? His size most likely. You see a kid with that size at such a young age you see potential. Could he be the next Calvin Johnson? You don't know. You just know you have to offer early to give yourself a chance. Then a couple years later you realize he's not anywhere close to being that so you move on. Obviously they're not stupid enough to just drop him because he's a high profile recruit. You don't want a kid like that bad mouthing UW to other potential future recruits like Delgado and Pittman have. So you still recruit him lightly but you strategically fall back and concede him to Oregon without hurting his feelings.

It baffles my fucking mind that people think he's all that. You think a 6'6 receiver who's a legit 5-star from Cali would have zero interest from USC and national schools if he was really elite like that? Especially with national schools raiding the West coast now more than ever? National schools are not after him. He just fucking said UW is not recruiting him anywhere near as hard as Oregon. Why do you think that is? If you're not football savy enough to see he's not that good of a pure WR prospect, at least look at the fucking circumstantial evidence and use logic. It's not that hard.
  • Options
    dtddtd Member Posts: 4,061
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

There ain't no catching up to be had. This is exactly what I already told you guys. It's not "lazy recruiting" when you don't really want the kid like that. This is what happens when you have a coaching staff that completely ignores star ratings and do their own evaluations. Sometimes they completely disagree with the ratings and prefer "3-star" kids (Rome Odunze and Sawyer Racanelli) over an overrated "5-star" kid. Wilson is Brayden Lenius 2.0. Don't know how many times I have to say that for it to sink in. He's not a great WR prospect. I don't care if he goes to Oregon or anywhere else. It's a win for us if a not so good WR or soft TE prospect goes to Oregon and further clogs up their roster. Move on. All I care about is the coaches getting who THEY want. Not who fan boys who don't know shit about football talent want. I get pissed when they whiff on guys they actually want. This isn't one of those instances.

He was offered by uw.
    That doesn't mean shit. How long have you all had to understand that not everybody UW offers is a guy they eventually want to sign. Even with how few offers they put out, they still offer way more kids than they can take. Every year, they offer kids early and then after further evaluation, they cool on some of them and don't want them anymore. It's not a perfect system.
    What the fuck are you talking about? Half this board is bitching about how slow we are to offer. But now we prematurely offered Wilson and are back pedaling?

Since you appear to be such a student of his film, what did coaches see in his freshman year film that didn't translate to his sophomore and junior seasons? Where did he fall off?
    Uh yeah, kinda like how they prematurely offered Criddell last cycle and many others they eventually backed off of. Recruiting is fluid. An offer doesn't mean they want you. The guys they sign and recruit hard as long as possible are the ones they really want.

What did they see? His size most likely. You see a kid with that size at such a young age you see potential. Could he be the next Calvin Johnson? You don't know. You just know you have to offer early to give yourself a chance. Then a couple years later you realize he's not anywhere close to being that so you move on.

It baffles my fucking mind that people think he's all that. You think a 6'6 receiver who's a legit 5-star from Cali would have zero interest from USC and national schools if he was really elite like that? Especially with national schools raiding the West coast now more than ever? National schools are not after him. He just fucking said UW is not recruiting him anywhere near as hard as Oregon. Why do you think that is? If you're not football savy enough to see he's not that good, at least look at the fucking circumstantial evidence and use logic. It's not that hard.
    There's Tequila fucking stupid and then there's you.

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Johnny-Wilson-100055/RecruitInterests/

But I'm sure Florida, FSU, Ohio St, Michigan, Penn State, Texas, Georgia, LSU, Notre Dame, Tennessee and aTm have all cooled on him for the same reasons UW's staff has, amirite?
  • Options
    BallzBallz Member Posts: 4,735
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs
    edited May 2019
    dtd said:

He was offered by uw.

Uh yeah, kinda like how they prematurely offered Criddell last cycle and many others they eventually backed off of. Recruiting is fluid. An offer doesn't mean they want you. The guys they sign and recruit hard as long as possible are the ones they really want.

What did they see? His size most likely. You see a kid with that size at such a young age you see potential. Could he be the next Calvin Johnson? You don't know. You just know you have to offer early to give yourself a chance. Then a couple years later you realize he's not anywhere close to being that so you move on.

It baffles my fucking mind that people think he's all that. You think a 6'6 receiver who's a legit 5-star from Cali would have zero interest from USC and national schools if he was really elite like that? Especially with national schools raiding the West coast now more than ever? National schools are not after him. He just fucking said UW is not recruiting him anywhere near as hard as Oregon. Why do you think that is? If you're not football savy enough to see he's not that good, at least look at the fucking circumstantial evidence and use logic. It's not that hard.

But I'm sure Florida, FSU, Ohio St, Michigan, Penn State, Texas, Georgia, LSU, Notre Dame, Tennessee and aTm have all cooled on him for the same reasons UW's staff has, amirite?
    None of them are recruiting him hard. Kids with 5-stars next to their names get offers from everybody. That's recruiting in this day and age. They don't mean shit if they don't recruit you like a top target. He can wipe his ass with those offers. It's just paper. A lot of times, it's just so schools can get their brand out there. You have to dig deeper and look at who is actually recruiting him.
  • Options
    FirePetermanFirePeterman Member Posts: 8
    First Comment

dtd said:

He was offered by uw.

None of them are recruiting him hard. Kids with 5-stars next to their names get offers from everybody. That's recruiting in this day and age. They don't mean shit if they don't recruit you like a top target. He can wipe his ass with those offers. It's just paper. A lot of times, it's just so schools can get their brand out there. You have to dig deeper and look at who is actually recruiting him.
    He’s literally taking an official visit to Texas in less than a month you dumb shit, but that is probably because they want to pay for his visit for no reason and they are actually not interested in him because he sucks. Wilson is an elite talent anyone with half a brain can watch 30 seconds of his film and come to that conclusion.

• Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,064
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    whuggy said:

Tequilla said:

Going to have to catch up and beat Oregon on this one

Says Oregon is recruiting him hardest by far. The words by far are unacceptable to me. The first thing you do in ANY job is put in maximum effort. Forget the race allegations. Lazy allegations might be more appropriate.

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Teq is such a fag. Fuck him he’s Fetters Jr

Thanks for reading
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    dtd said:

He was offered by uw.

I feel special that you used 1 of your 938 posts so far in this shithole on dropping my name ... thanks
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Tequilla said:

dtd said:

He was offered by uw.

I feel special that you used 1 of your 938 posts so far in this shithole on dropping my name ... thanks
    Hi @Tequilla
  • Options
    RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Here's what I herd: Oregon turned down a 4-star WR commitment after the Spring game. They told another to commit at the Summer recruiting event, the one where a few thousand people show up to TBS them on a July evening at Autzen while they run around in shorts and t-shirts.

Not taking as many WRs as last year. And for all the shit that was talked about Josh Delgado on here the coaches have a massive hard on for him and he already sucks less than Johnny Johnson or Brenden Schooler. I know SAC's recruiting analysis predicted Delgado would be a major bust, so I'm shocked as anyone.

If you do want some bad Oregon news, Bryan Addison is always injured and the only thing he's trying hard in is to be a bust.
  • Options
    RealRhinoRealRhino Member Posts: 615
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Okay, all this bullshit caused me to go watch his film. Think we can split the difference here. I like him but I don’t love him. Certainly can help a team, but for us, might rather have Roman Wilson than Johnny Wilson. We’ve got the big guys that aren’t real sudden. I’d prefer the speed.

• Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,935
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

RealRhino said:

Okay, all this bullshit caused me to go watch his film. Think we can split the difference here. I like him but I don’t love him. Certainly can help a team, but for us, might rather have Roman Wilson than Johnny Wilson. We’ve got the big guys that aren’t real sudden. I’d prefer the speed.

Lol. S/O to the Oprea Singer Mr.4.3!

Because a 6”6 guys running a 4.59 as a junior is definitely not fast enough.
    What was gee jr’s 40?
  • Options
    RealRhinoRealRhino Member Posts: 615
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

RealRhino said:

Lol. S/O to the Oprea Singer Mr.4.3!

Because a 6”6 guys running a 4.59 as a junior is definitely not fast enough.
    Fast enough for what?

Difference is that Baccellia is maybe 5-10, 170, while Roman Wilson is probably going to play at exactly the size Dante Pettis was, 6-1, 185. With the same kind of quick breaks as Dante. You don't want another Dante Pettis?

Back to my original question. Fast enough for what? Because we're not measuring total overall athleticism. I would agree with you that a 220-lb. athlete running 4.59 might be more impressive than a 170-lb. guy running 4.45. But at the end of the day the 4.59 guy is still not outrunning any CBs. And honestly doesn't really leverage much threat of the go route. So he's a jump ball guy. I'd generally rather have the guy that gets open.

Last 10 years I checked guys 6-2+, 215+, 4.55 or slower. Basically three guys with any success (NFL): Allen Robinson (great), Devin Funchess (decent), Kelvin Benjamin (fine for one year, then bad).
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,214
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    What does 2016 film have to do with anything?
  • Options
    blackmambablackmamba Member Posts: 184
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Name Dropper 5 Awesomes

https://youtu.be/wS8eNnM1cNg

I think it’s pretty funny that Oregon sells WR’s on their usage in the offense as if they haven’t asked their receivers to run the same 4 routes since the end of Belotti. First hand, I know Dillon Mitchell wasn’t happy about his role/development and that’s while playing with a talent like Herbert and plenty of specific formations to get him open as the first read. I wouldn’t be happy either if I was a legit 6’1 at the combine, ran a 4.4, had good film against Cal, UDUB, & Utah, and still got taken in the 7th round.

Go hose Wilson the fuck off, turn on some 2016 film, tell him he will never play with a QB as bad as this, and with Puka (and Jalen McMillan but I don’t wanna Doog), you’ll see less double teams than Kevin Durant does on the Warriors. I’m hoping to get the last visit, but that July 27 Oregon date is looking pretty scary after our yearly winter/spring homage to Keith Gilbertson’s recruiting strategy.

Don't know why this matters... Uw isn't recruiting him apparently.