Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389
    As long as we're locked into the current social adjustment where the 1% elites continue to spread the gap between themselves and us 99% grunts, the talk of unionizing anything and everything will rise from the white noise of today to the potential of a roar tomorrow. Personally, I believe the establishment of at least an association of collegiate scholarship athletes formed to be representative in all business decisions conducted by the NCAA is long overdo.

I recall many years ago when the NCAA eliminated what was called the "laundry stipend" to cover living expenses for athletes other than subsistence(lodging and food). This NCAA decision was justified at the time as simply a cost reduction measure to provide more money generated from big school football and basketball TV for flow-down to smaller schools then struggling to stay alive in athletics. As was becoming more and more obvious, the NCAA's business mission statement included "fuck the athlete" in more ways than simple eliminating or reducing a per diem.

When will this amateur bullshit in big school sports end? Time to form-up and march on the ivy covered halls of power and greed and tell small college America to fish or cut bait. The big schools appear to be moving again to preserve more of the financial power generated by their athletic departments. If an independent and hugely wealthy CFA becomes a reality, what's in it for scholarship-athletes? Will they ever again have at least a per diem on which to live a life away from the field or court and classroom?
  • doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    Pay the players.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,660 Founders Club
    Pay the players? Sure as long as Suzy the softball player gets paid the same. Title 9. Not so easy now. Its not like that money is going in someone's pocket. Its funding the program and all the other programs.

• topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838

Pay the players.

I get colleges are making BIG money off these kids ... no argument there.

However ...

As of Quarter 1 in 2012, the average student loan balance for all age groups is $24,301. About one-quarter of borrowers owe more than $28,000; 10% of borrowers owe more than $54,000; 3% owe more than $100,000; and less than 1%, or 167,000 people, owe more than $200,000. (Source: FRBNY)

AND ...

Most these kids would never GET the opportunity to go to college if it wasn't for being able to run or throw a ball.

I get it ...

But part of me says ... cut the education, pay them and start a minor league.
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,716 Swaye's Wigwam
    topdawgnc said:

About one-quarter of borrowers owe more than $28,000; 10% of borrowers owe more than $54,000; 3% owe more than $100,000; and less than 1%, or 167,000 people, owe more than $200,000. (Source: FRBNY)

Cool, I'm in the top 3%

• topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838

topdawgnc said:

About one-quarter of borrowers owe more than $28,000; 10% of borrowers owe more than $54,000; 3% owe more than $100,000; and less than 1%, or 167,000 people, owe more than $200,000. (Source: FRBNY)

Cool, I'm in the top 3%

But the kids don't get paid.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    topdawgnc said:

Pay the players.

However ...

As of Quarter 1 in 2012, the average student loan balance for all age groups is $24,301. About one-quarter of borrowers owe more than $28,000; 10% of borrowers owe more than $54,000; 3% owe more than $100,000; and less than 1%, or 167,000 people, owe more than $200,000. (Source: FRBNY)

AND ...

Most these kids would never GET the opportunity to go to college if it wasn't for being able to run or throw a ball.

I get it ...

There won't be 5% of the money available in a minor league as there is in the NCAA...

HTH
  • doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    edited January 2014
    Paying the players is the last stop in what has become a very long trip through the NCAA's hypocrisy regarding athlete eligibility, and is obviously the most extreme response. If you don't like that then what about allowing athletes the chance to make money off of their name and likeness, like other Americans. This whole libertarian "well they don't have to play" bullshit is childish. Neither do the coaches, yet they're making millions each year. No one is suggesting that the players should be making $30k a year, just that some portion of the billions of dollars they create for college sports be passed down.
    I wasn't in favor of Title 9 when it happened but its settled science. Also most universities aren't profiting by billions. They just aren't. Try to get the treatment you get at UO in a minor league. You won't. The education and training are worth 100K easy. Bust the system and get a fucking bus ride and a broken body for pennies
  • DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,549 Founders Club
    They could start by not stripping players of their eligibility for selling rings they earned on the playing field. That kind of regulation is fucking bull shit.

I get that some insane big time booster could over pay for the ring and essentially pay the player, but if said athlete gives your school's program the glory of a championship, fuck it that's earned cash.
  • I wasn't in favor of Title 9 when it happened but its settled science. Also most universities aren't profiting by billions. They just aren't. Try to get the treatment you get at UO in a minor league. You won't. The education and training are worth 100K easy. Bust the system and get a fucking bus ride and a broken body for pennies

http://deadspin.com/no-paying-athletes-wont-bankrupt-college-sports-1502028351

http://deadspin.com/why-the-arguments-against-ncaa-pay-for-play-suck-1481854847
    Does collegedoog understand Title 9? No he doesn't. Did he even address my points? No he didn't.

Play minor league football and get paid what your worth or play college ball and be over paid.

Tough choice
    Doogles said:

They could start by not stripping players of their eligibility for selling rings they earned on the playing field. That kind of regulation is fucking bull shit.

I get that some insane big time booster could over pay for the ring and essentially pay the player, but if said athlete gives your school's program the glory of a championship, fuck it that's earned cash.

Players get paid under the table, get no show summer jobs and make valuable contacts for after their free education. It's the only way to work it when the feds treat a girls lacrosse player the same as a football player and make him pay for her sport
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    I don't see why they can't give football players a larger stipend. Same with basketball. Tough luck to the other sports that don't make money. That said, the people who think it would eliminate corruption are morons.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2014

Does collegedoog understand Title 9? No he doesn't. Did he even address my points? No he didn't.

Play minor league football and get paid what your worth or play college ball and be over paid.

Tough choice

No one playing big time college football is getting overpaid.

And the employee status would make them exempt from Title IX, though is somewhat disputed.
  • RavennaDawgRavennaDawg Member Posts: 846
    Title IX applies to scholarships. There is no mandate that University employees in general, or employees of the athletic department, have some sort of gender balance.

College football does not need the NCAA. One of these days the SEC will add FSU and Miami, and say We Can Have SEC College Football without the NCAA, we'll just play ourselves, and pay the players, and people will watch and the SEC will make money.

Pay the players? Sure as long as Suzy the softball player gets paid the same. Title 9. Not so easy now. Its not like that money is going in someone's pocket. Its funding the program and all the other programs.

Title 9 isn't universal in that equal opportunity to play and receive a full ride scholarship can't and won't be the same as equal pay for unequal play. Neither softball nor any women's sport can be considered a vocation when it costs more to play than the earnings generated from playing for the entertainment of paying spectators.

If anything, paying college athletes could eventually blow Title 9 out of the water with respect to any university's athletic department business contributions from football and men's basketball. No judge living on mars or even in the womb of Women's Liberation could mandate equal pay for unequal play when comparing softball to football. We may be fare in an American way, but we are not communists.

• ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904
    The best thing to do:

all fans pay cash, festival seating, bigger stadiums without elite sections, an average stadium should fit 100,000 fans. .... after the game the team that wins gets 2/3 of $$$. Half of that goes to the players, since they are playing FUCKING FOOTBALL GAME.
    topdawgnc said:

Pay the players.

However ...

I get it ...

WHOOSH! Way to miss the point by a mile or even farther? What would be the fun in cutting out colleges and universities and giving the revenue sports such as football and men's basketball to minor leagues?

Get a clue and then you might actually get it. Our higher education system isn't just about education. It's also about entrepreneurialism more and more each day and it's about close relationships between educational disciplines and related commercial/civil fields in business and government.

Why shouldn't that growing entrepreneurialism join with traditional community relations by having colleges and universities convert competitive associations and conferences into what you call minor leagues? All that's missing is paying the players as they deserve to be paid same as any programmer in computer engineering, lab rat in chemistry or physics, and TA's all over campus.