Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

And so it begins....

124»

Comments

• DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,549 Founders Club
    Race nails it on the head with the contacts argument. Free education + access to serious contacts across the board = better deal than 99% of motherfuckers on the planet.

If you want to pursue bio psych and get a jump start on your phd you can do it with hard work and free access to the top tutors available.

If you want to hold a clip board and learn how to coach, broadcast, sell, market, whatever--someone will hold your hand and show you how.

If you want to become a professional athlete, you'll have facilities and structured time to see if your body/mind is capable of fulfilling that dream.

If you want to smoke weed, fuck white sorority ass, and play xbox while having some asian do your homework, you can do that too. Then maybe when you can't pass your Mavis Beacon teaches typing test at your first big boy job handed to you, you can complain about how you're exploited.

Fuck me. Fuck you. Fuck everyone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2014

collegedoog says
    2. Unequal pay implications are up for debate. It might have to be decided in the courts. The extra costs associating with being considered an employee is silly. Regarding CTE and injury liability they could just do like the NFL does now and have an up front understanding of the risks of playing.

What the NFL does is negotiate a settlement worth billions that a judge threw out for not being enough. Colleges would have even more players to cover, along with insuring them at what cost, and paying disability on a much larger scale. The L&I alone would eat a huge chunk

Of course if you had ever had any employees you wouldn't embarrass yourself like this

You realize the NCAA at the moment is at even more risk than the NFL exactly because the athletes aren't employees and can't follow the workers comp formula.

Schools currently have a concussion and injury waiver that they, I imagine, would carry over as part of any employee agreement, especially if the players unionize.
    Not being employees is why the NCAA isn't at risk. Making them employees with a union would make them just like the NFL

This is really basic shit
    Wrong again:

"College is different. Players are, at least technically, students. Universities, at least technically, are not companies. Most participating at a high level are public institutions. They have a greater moral and ethical responsibility to protect those under their umbrella. The potential player pool for a class-action suit is broader. The damages claimed would not be limited by a worker’s compensation formula. Perhaps fittingly, the very compensation laws NCAA amateurism has ducked may end up biting them."

http://thebiglead.com/2013/10/10/concussion-research-college-football-end/

"Edelman argues the concussion case against the NCAA has a greater chance of succeeding than the one against the NFL because of student-athletes' lack of power. Unlike NFL players, they do not collectively bargain with the NCAA and set acceptable labor practices.

The case could be just as threatening to the NCAA's way of doing business as the O'Bannon lawsuit, legal experts say.

"Because the NCAA athletes are not represented in any way, as well as the fact that the NCAA purports to be the party protecting the student-athletes' interests, their duty of care to do just that is elevated enough that their obligation to protect student-athletes from head injuries is arguably higher than a collection of individual employers such as the NFL teams," Edelman said."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/07/25/ncaa-concussion-lawsuit-adrian-arrington/2588189/

• DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,549 Founders Club
    Don't get me wrong, if a player wants to sell his rose bowl jersey for 5k to some guy in his mom's basement with a boner in his sweat pants, he should be allowed to do so without any repercussions.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    Tailgater said:

Tailgater said:

Tailgater said:

Pay the players? Sure as long as Suzy the softball player gets paid the same. Title 9. Not so easy now. Its not like that money is going in someone's pocket. Its funding the program and all the other programs.

Title 9 isn't universal in that equal opportunity to play and receive a full ride scholarship can't and won't be the same as equal pay for unequal play. Neither softball nor any women's sport can be considered a vocation when it costs more to play than the earnings generated from playing for the entertainment of paying spectators.

If anything, paying college athletes could eventually blow Title 9 out of the water with respect to any university's athletic department business contributions from football and men's basketball. No judge living on mars or even in the womb of Women's Liberation could mandate equal pay for unequal play when comparing softball to football. We may be fare in an American way, but we are not communists.

Yes, a judge could mandate that. A softball player putting in the same hours as a football player would certainly be paid the same. The government and courts would have it no other way.
    Wrong. Title 9 applies specifically to the opportunity of receiving the benefits of playing collegiate sports as a scholarship-athlete. It has never applied to productivity in terms of value of athletic performance to the product services provided for the paying public by the university's athletic department...... simply because without payroll for participating athletes, there can be no productivity for comparison of softball to football. Aside from Title 9, equal pay for equal work statutes could only be applied where a comparison of productivity for softball versus football is available..... and that will never be possible until softball as a revenue producing sports-entertainment product is equal in value to the university as that of football.

Wrong... Congress or a judge could absolutely enforce title 9 or even if the football players get put on the payroll and the softball players don't. Allowing football players to be employees simply won't happen unless they allow women to play football and enforce their participation through quotas.

Irregardless, it's a mute point. Players won't be put on payroll or be paid in our lifetime. They can choose the offer to play that is on the table, or they can chose not to play. There is no shortage of quality players who will play for the current form of compensation. It would have to be forced with through the courts (it won't be) or players will have to elect not to play (they won't)
    I'm not saying that softball playing athletes wouldn't be paid small wages to make their college life easier, they just wouldn't be paid nearly as much as football playing athletes. No court is going to rule that all sports offered by the university for public consumption are of equal value and thus the work required to produce such sports entertainment must be equal. By your logic, Title 9 mandates that UW's head softball coach must be paid the same as UW's head football coach, that a female TA in english 101 must be paid the same as a full professor in pre-med, etc. Once colleges and universities decide to pay athletes something other than scholarship and subsistence expenses, equality in collegiate athletics becomes a different game where Title 9 doesn't play.

Disagree
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781

collegedoog says
    2. Unequal pay implications are up for debate. It might have to be decided in the courts. The extra costs associating with being considered an employee is silly. Regarding CTE and injury liability they could just do like the NFL does now and have an up front understanding of the risks of playing.

What the NFL does is negotiate a settlement worth billions that a judge threw out for not being enough. Colleges would have even more players to cover, along with insuring them at what cost, and paying disability on a much larger scale. The L&I alone would eat a huge chunk

Of course if you had ever had any employees you wouldn't embarrass yourself like this

You realize the NCAA at the moment is at even more risk than the NFL exactly because the athletes aren't employees and can't follow the workers comp formula.

Schools currently have a concussion and injury waiver that they, I imagine, would carry over as part of any employee agreement, especially if the players unionize.
    Not being employees is why the NCAA isn't at risk. Making them employees with a union would make them just like the NFL

This is really basic shit
    Wrong again:

"College is different. Players are, at least technically, students. Universities, at least technically, are not companies. Most participating at a high level are public institutions. They have a greater moral and ethical responsibility to protect those under their umbrella. The potential player pool for a class-action suit is broader. The damages claimed would not be limited by a worker’s compensation formula. Perhaps fittingly, the very compensation laws NCAA amateurism has ducked may end up biting them."

http://thebiglead.com/2013/10/10/concussion-research-college-football-end/

"Edelman argues the concussion case against the NCAA has a greater chance of succeeding than the one against the NFL because of student-athletes' lack of power. Unlike NFL players, they do not collectively bargain with the NCAA and set acceptable labor practices.

The case could be just as threatening to the NCAA's way of doing business as the O'Bannon lawsuit, legal experts say.

"Because the NCAA athletes are not represented in any way, as well as the fact that the NCAA purports to be the party protecting the student-athletes' interests, their duty of care to do just that is elevated enough that their obligation to protect student-athletes from head injuries is arguably higher than a collection of individual employers such as the NFL teams," Edelman said."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/07/25/ncaa-concussion-lawsuit-adrian-arrington/2588189/

It's more complex than the issues you state.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,358 Founders Club
    This thread taught me that lawyers are really to blame for everything.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,660 Founders Club
    I like to post opinion as fact no matter how wrong
    I'd advise them to drop football
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,564 Founders Club
    edited January 2014
    Doogles said:

Don't get me wrong, if a player wants to sell his rose bowl jersey for 5k to some guy in his mom's basement with a boner in his sweat pants, he should be allowed to do so without any repercussions.

I agree in priniciple, but those rules are in place so Bob, the .1% booster doesn't pay $7k for it.
  • oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288

Damone is right you're dreaming if you think the feds will stand by while male football players get paid.

But let's pay the players and ride unicorns and give everyone a raise a free healthcare while we burn biomass. Yipee

Or you could let all college athletes license their names. Do you at least see the merit in that?

Johnny football should already have millions in his pocket for endorsements, jersey sales, etc.

At the moment all that money goes to the NCAA or AD's.
    John Football was given a platform he wouldn't have otherwise had by the NCAA. No free platform, no Johnny Football. Do you at least see the merit in that?
  • oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288

What do they do with that money? Does Mr. Burns keep it?

Colleges are ripping you and your generation off far more than they are ripping off football players.

Of course they keep it. They earned it.

Let's not perpetuate the student athlete myth. Around half of football and basketball players don't even read at a high school level when they graduate college.
    Do you have any thoughts of your own? If you don't want to "perpetuate the student athlete myth" (great talking point as always) then take the game out of the university all together and the players can get paid what they are worth - nothing until they make the NFL

Watched any A league baseball lately?

I asked where all this money that the universities are ripping the players off for goes to. The Hooker and Blow Center didn't build itself.

You don't even care that colleges have huge endowments that should make tuition free but instead they rig the price in cahoots with the college loan scam so you leave school a hundred grand in debt with a shit education.

Instead let's worry about guys getting a free education and the best training in the world and contacts that last a lifetime. They are fucking SLAVES
    It's free but it's hardly an education.

And it's the best training in the world for the ~3% of D1 football players that actually play in the pros.

No one is saying they're slaves. Why shouldn't they be able to profit off their name?

Branding is a pretty low percentage of AD revenue. http://espn.go.com/ncaa/revenue

If players were to be paid, donations would likely skyrocket because the competition to get the best players will be even higher.

The economic studies find college football will be just fine.

The only issue is whether Mark Emmert will fuck it up, which, as we know, is likely.
    You obviously haven't thought this through. Go back to the drawing board.
  • TheHB said:

"I love a good Race Bannon and CollegeDoog argument that will never end" said no one ever.

lol
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,979 Founders Club

You completely missed the point. Not for the first time. You bolded replies to my points that didn't reply to my point. You just spouted your talking points.

Why not try again and actually respond to what I said with your own thoughts if you have any.

Hint - nowhere did I say that people wouldn't watch if college football wasn't amateur

It will be minor league football when colleges drop

Fuck you're a moron dude..

Colleges won't drop. The money will always be there. That's exactly what I responded too.

You've been beat old man.
    Disagree
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,979 Founders Club
    Swaye said:

This thread taught me that lawyers are really to blame for everything.

More tattooed hotties. Less lawyers fucking shit up.

• allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    I didn't read this thread.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,358 Founders Club

I can't even read.
    Swaye said:

I can't even read.
    Exploited former player?