Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

When should Peterman hand the reins over to Jimmy Lake?

Comments

• GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Would someone supply the statistics of how the super assistant/coach-in-waiting who everyone wants to see in the succession plan?

I'm hearing that's a great formula for success.

Worked at Oregon with Chip Kelly. As long as the super successful assistant has an alpha personality and is not a little pussy like Helfrich or complete incompetent like Helton, it's a great way to go. It's very rare in college football to have the staff continuity and loyalty that Oregon used to have and UW has now. We want our best assistants who are okay with being assistants forever, to stay here forever. That only happens if UW makes an in-house hire after Petersen and with Lake being the young superstar who's an alpha, a winner, extremely competent teacher, developer, talent evaluator, and recruiter, he would be the best guy for the job. We don't want to be like Bama fans looking at Dabo Sweeney with envy thinking "that was our guy, he's a stud, we should have kept him here and made him the head coach in waiting". Petersen followed by Lake would have Oregon and the rest of the conference fucked for a long, long time.
    Good points but good luck with the Lake scenario. Lake ain't Pete...far from
    He's better than Petersen. Petersen was a whizz kid as an OC and yet as a head coach, his offenses have mostly sucked post-Kellen Moore. Lake is a superstar DC who's defenses as a head coach would continue to dominate here. Lake is also a better recruiter than Petersen. Petersen's strengths are his focus on fundamentals, decision making when hiring assistant coaches, being a good guy to work for which promotes staff continuity and loyalty, and he's good at evaluating talent and decent at recruiting. Lake could do all of that but take recruiting to a higher level. If Jimmy was head coach, we might have guys like Drake Jackson, Stephon Wright, Joe Ngata, and Jeremiah Martin on the roster. Imagine Jimmy's recruiting ability spread out across all positions instead of just DB's. It's a tantalizing thought.
    So Pete's eras of excellence also match the core competencies of a modern college football corch. Chintriguing. I'll be watching these developments closely.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,706
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Would someone supply the statistics of how the super assistant/coach-in-waiting who everyone wants to see in the succession plan?

I'm hearing that's a great formula for success.

Worked at Oregon with Chip Kelly. As long as the super successful assistant has an alpha personality and is not a little pussy like Helfrich or complete incompetent like Helton, it's a great way to go. It's very rare in college football to have the staff continuity and loyalty that Oregon used to have and UW has now. We want our best assistants who are okay with being assistants forever, to stay here forever. That only happens if UW makes an in-house hire after Petersen and with Lake being the young superstar who's an alpha, a winner, extremely competent teacher, developer, talent evaluator, and recruiter, he would be the best guy for the job. We don't want to be like Bama fans looking at Dabo Sweeney with envy thinking "that was our guy, he's a stud, we should have kept him here and made him the head coach in waiting". Petersen followed by Lake would have Oregon and the rest of the conference fucked for a long, long time.
    The stats are abysmal. There have more elite OCs and DCs who hit their heads against the Peter Principle than you can shake a stick at.

The truth is, for the vast majority of people, there is a point too high in their profession.
    Yeah well, most assistants that become head coaches aren't nearly as good as Jimmy Lake. Plus, every great head coach was once an assistant. Worry about your own assistant coach who's a shit head coach in Cristobal.
    [laughing hysterically.gif]

This response is you in a nutshell. You can never concede an inch of ground no matter what it is or how obvious.

It makes you look like you just started following the game 4 years ago.

The comment had nothing to do with Oregon but of course they live in your head.

Yes all great HCs were assistants at some point. That's well within the "no shit" category of responses.

But many of the great ones were good HCs somewhere before they got to the show.

Don't be so defensive ballz. It's a bad look. Again the stats are abysmal and many legendary assistants who were just as well respected as your man crush DB guru flamed out miserably doing the head gig. It is a much different job.
    All great coaches were once assistants.
    Um, I think I addressed that point. Awfully early to be going full retard Corky.

Jimmy Lake has been a defensive coordinator for one year.

I fucking love the dude but let's see him actually build a defense or deal with roster turnover from his predecessor before we anoint him the next HC.

All great coaches were coordinators for one year at one point in their careers!!!!!!!
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

I fucking love the dude but let's see him actually build a defense or deal with roster turnover from his predecessor before we anoint him the next HC.

Disagree
  • puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

Hey, a duck has made a few really good posts here lately. Best I've seen from anyone...except pup of course. I'd like to get him in the HDB.
  • puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    edited May 2019

All great coaches were coordinators for one year at one point in their careers!!!!!!!
    creep you're a brilliant one..a surgeon was a resident for 1 year at 'one point in their career'. When do you turn 19?

creep you're a brilliant one..a surgeon was a resident for 1 year at 'one point in their career'. When do you turn 19?
    demonstrating the dangers of jumping into a thread late and popping off.

pumpy is pumpy.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,717
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Oregon will win the conference potd

Pup is so fucking retarded it almost hurts

Make a prediction then. It's how this works. But you wont. Who do you like? I wont expect a response. You never do lofl
    Swaye's Wigwam

Hey, a duck has made a few really good posts here lately. Best I've seen from anyone...except pup of course. I'd like to get him in the HDB.
  • BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    da fuq Stalin?
    dnc said:

Baseman said:

Turning to the D cordinator worked well in the past.

Turned out this comp was unfair to Lambo
    Has Jimmy Lake beat his husband yet?
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited November 2022
    Derek with the woosh on PUP. But had the heart to explain to him. Slowly.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I wasn't in this thread but I was a big Jimmy guy. Thought he'd be a shit talking big balls Petersen without the stick up his ass

He is yet another exhibit in "it's the head coach"

Petersen was good enough to get the best out of guys that needed him more than he needed them

I think Kwat has done less with more at Texas but look at his head coach. Others may not agree

Huff remains a riddle wrapped inside an enigma. Didn't do great under Pete. Did horrible under Lake. Resurrected under DeBoer

DeBoer > Petersen?