Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

NHL PLAYOFFS> NBA AND NFL PLAYOFFS

13»

Comments

• Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,705
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Also the role of enforcer may be the most mentally and physically damaging in sports.

Of the two fighters I grew up rooting for one is dead from overdose and the other is homeless and was missing for 10 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Boogaard
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Johnson_(ice_hockey)

Causation

Did being a goon lead them to this lifestyle, or were they predisposed to this kind of lifestyle, and thus fit in as a hockey goon?
    Causation? Fucking LOL man. Goons become goons because they are big and not skilled enough and it is the only way to keep the NHL dream alive. Both those guys quit before the age of 30 because the lifestyle of a goon in the NHL FUCKING SUCKS.

Boogaard's brain exam showed advanced CTE. Johnson grew up on an apple farm with a completely normal loving family that has been trying to track him down on the streets of LA for the last 10 years. Absolutely no risk factors.

You'd be way better off arguing sample size but then I would just have to get more examples.
    Today's players know the risks. If they still choose to be bruisers that's on them.
    Did they know the risks in the 90s and early 2000s?
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,277
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

But seriously, in the nba you knock somebody out, you’re gone for half the season, same with the nfl. In baseball idk, but I’m sure it’s lengthy. In the NHL, you get a 5 min timeout.

If you gave an NBA player a weapon and let them hit another player in the face with it how long would the suspension be?

Call me a Neanderthal but shit like this is becoming more common because players feel the need to "retaliate" with their sticks, head shots, slewfoots, because other than the suspension there is no on ice deterrent. Enforcers kept this shit to a minimum cause if your enforcer got his ass handed to him due to shit you pulled, that didn't go over well in the locker room. The game today is too fast and skilled for the old goon role. Goons were typically stashed on the 4th line, but when you're on the road the other team gets to match their 1st line vs your 4th line. If you're the weak link, the 1st line will exploit that mercilessly and odds are that the puck will end up in the back of your own net.
    Yeah, you're a Neanderthal. There has always been dirty play. Nobody can provide any data or evidence to support fighters having a deterrent effect.

Sign me up for more roster spots for skilled players. I don't need to watch professional hockey players that can't skate or handle a puck.
    Disagree

There's always room for one goon on every team
    Do the Colorado Avs have room to add Cale Makar if they have to roster a goon? They are already at 7 D to 11 F.

31 goons means 31 less spots for actual players to crack a lineup.

Its simlar to the trend of having multiple scoring lines. How many William Karlsson's languished in the early 2000s because they were made to play on "checking" lines instead of given a chance to shine.
    NFL is worse after their changes, the NBA is much worse after their changes. If you are for lower viewership and less excitement, sure take the goons out of the game.
  • Options

But seriously, in the nba you knock somebody out, you’re gone for half the season, same with the nfl. In baseball idk, but I’m sure it’s lengthy. In the NHL, you get a 5 min timeout.

If you gave an NBA player a weapon and let them hit another player in the face with it how long would the suspension be?

Call me a Neanderthal but shit like this is becoming more common because players feel the need to "retaliate" with their sticks, head shots, slewfoots, because other than the suspension there is no on ice deterrent. Enforcers kept this shit to a minimum cause if your enforcer got his ass handed to him due to shit you pulled, that didn't go over well in the locker room. The game today is too fast and skilled for the old goon role. Goons were typically stashed on the 4th line, but when you're on the road the other team gets to match their 1st line vs your 4th line. If you're the weak link, the 1st line will exploit that mercilessly and odds are that the puck will end up in the back of your own net.
    Yeah, you're a Neanderthal. There has always been dirty play. Nobody can provide any data or evidence to support fighters having a deterrent effect.

Sign me up for more roster spots for skilled players. I don't need to watch professional hockey players that can't skate or handle a puck.
    Disagree

Do the Colorado Avs have room to add Cale Makar if they have to roster a goon? They are already at 7 D to 11 F.

Its simlar to the trend of having multiple scoring lines. How many William Karlsson's languished in the early 2000s because they were made to play on "checking" lines instead of given a chance to shine.
    NFL is worse after their changes, the NBA is much worse after their changes. If you are for lower viewership and less excitement, sure take the goons out of the game.
    Ok!

Debatable but also off-topic.

The level of play in the NHL is so much better than when I grew up in the late 90s and early 2000s. Back then you had a handful of defensemen in the entire league who could drive the play and one line per team that scored.

Goals are up despite save percentage also being up and power plays being down.

All they need to do now is limit the size of goalie equipment or increase the size of the nets.
  • Options
    Bad_MotherDuckerBad_MotherDucker Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,310
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Disagree

Ok!

The level of play in the NHL is so much better than when I grew up in the late 90s and early 2000s. Back then you had a handful of defensemen in the entire league who could drive the play and one line per team that scored.

All they need to do now is limit the size of goalie equipment or increase the size of the nets.
    You can thank the Devils and their neutral zone trap for mucking shit up during that era. Won them 3 cups so can't really blame them. After the lockout they allowed 2 line passes and started cracking down on interference. There was so much grabbing and holding it was stifling the superstars and the league knew it had to increase scoring to get fans back after the lockout
  • Options
    Bad_MotherDuckerBad_MotherDucker Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,310
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

NHL players are white. NBA players are Black

Why do you think fans freak out about NBA fights? The Malice in the Palace gave people heart attacks

That or it could be that there hasn't been a time when 3-4 hockey players rushed the stands and started playing live Street Fighter with the fans.
    Race members when the Bruins had enough shit from the Rags fans

https://youtu.be/fpbD6W7YT5A
  • Options

Disagree

Ok!

You can thank the Devils and their neutral zone trap for mucking shit up during that era. Won them 3 cups so can't really blame them. After the lockout they allowed 2 line passes and started cracking down on interference. There was so much grabbing and holding it was stifling the superstars and the league knew it had to increase scoring to get fans back after the lockout
    That is the narrative but its partially true at best. Some of the changes in the game are due to coaching and strategy.

But few of the "superstars" of that era had the combination of speed and skill that is prized today let alone the second and third line players. A lot of that comes down to US and Canada training and emphasis from younger ages modeled after the European game. Also more modern strength and cardio training and nutrition in general.

The league did increase penalties called in the year after the lockout which created a temporary and unsustainable surge in scoring due to increased power play opportunities.

That lasted one year.

Fast forward to this year we just set a record for the fewest power play opportunities per game- EVER. Down over 50% since 2005-2006.Yet shots attempted and goals per game are up.
  • Options
    Boston-Toronto and Calgary-Colorado were amazing last night.

I really like this Colorado team. MacKinnon is playing the best hockey of anyone in the league right now and their D-men are doing a good job of jumping into the play. Cale Makar plays at a different speed you can just tell he is going to be special. If GRUUUU can play halfway decent this team is a threat to Cup.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

Why do you think fans freak out about NBA fights? The Malice in the Palace gave people heart attacks

Damn straight. Ron Artest and Stephen Jackson were wreckin fools. But Kermit Washington aside. Most NBA players dont know how to throw a punch and they never have. Even Rodman threw like a bitch.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

That or it could be that there hasn't been a time when 3-4 hockey players rushed the stands and started playing live Street Fighter with the fans.
    You obviously haven’t seen the old grainy footage of the Bruins going into the stands at MSG in the late 70s
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    salemcoog said:

Damn straight. Ron Artest and Stephen Jackson were wreckin fools. But Kermit Washington aside. Most NBA players dont know how to throw a punch and they never have. Even Rodman threw like a bitch.
    Rodman just flopped around in every scuffle he was in.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,787
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    I'll only watch NHL if the Canucks are really good.

NBA can be okay at times. I can't stand watching Hard-on and the Rockettes.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,794
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    The NBA and NFL should allow players to fight.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

The NBA and NFL should allow players to fight.

We already know NBA players can’t fight.

I suppose if they allowed NFL players to toss their helmet like NHL players drop gloves it could be good.
  • Options
    Four Game 7s in two days would have been amazing but I will take 3.

Go Leafs, Sharks, Canes!