Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Social security fix

2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
Trigger warning. And yes huffpo is my source.

Democratic Reps. John Larson (Conn.), Conor Lamb (Pa.) and Jahana Hayes (Conn.) are introducing the Social Security 2100 Act on Wednesday, legislation that would expand Social Security benefits across the board and prolong the program’s solvency for the next 75 years and beyond. The legislation finances a more generous benefit and cost-of-living adjustment formula, a reduction in income taxes on benefits and the closure of Social Security’s long-term funding gap by lifting the cap on income subject to payroll taxes and raising those tax rates.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5c50f4fee4b0f43e410c06e9

Comments

• BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,346
    Solvency is important to me. I've been contributing for a long time, it would be great if I could get the benefit when I retire.
  • sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    Stupid fucking idea.

Simpletons will love it.
  • 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457

Stupid fucking idea.

Simpletons will love it.

Please explain both points.
  • SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,942
    2001400ex said:

Stupid fucking idea.

Simpletons will love it.

Yeah take the income cap off the tax and keep the shitty return. What a great fucking idea. How about you let me keep my money and I invest it myself.

That way I actually have a tangible asset that I can borrow against. Make it more like a 401K and allow people to borrow against it for a first time home purchase. But then that wouldn't allow the Rats to scare monger and keep people dependent on them.
    2001400ex said:

Stupid fucking idea.

Simpletons will love it.

to you?

Not possible.
  • SledogSledog Member Posts: 33,097 Standard Supporter
    People that didn't pay in shouldn't get paid. That'll really help fix it.

2001400ex said:

Stupid fucking idea.

Simpletons will love it.

to you?

Not possible.
    If you have some finger puppets or use stick figures you might have a shot but it would be a long one.
    careful, don't confuse SS with Investments or investng. It isn't nor has it ever been designed as such.

The SS as Investment meme was GOP political rhetoric largely in hurried response to Mr Global Warming oil trust fund kid and his Lawkbawx debate bullshit stupid simpletons fell for.
    Trust me, I see the shit return I'm getting on that Ponzi scheme. I don't confuse it with any investment I'd ever make.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,534 Standard Supporter
    The Throbber can fix SS in a heartbeat.

Actually, SS isn't really broken. Those who can latch their mitts onto the money is what is broken.

Set up an iron-clad wall against the Federal government 'borrowing' against Social Security trust funds. Just stop it. Might have to phase that shit in over 10 year or so but whatever....stop the flow of funds out to pay for shit like walls name whatever the fuck wasteful fed spending you'd like. Ween the Fed Gubmint off that shit. LIke living on someone else's credit card.

Then, set up SS like pretty much every municipal and state pension plan out there. Make sound investments as much as possible into solid-return municipal bond projects like new roads, new bridges, new affordable internet. Lock in a guaranteed return on like, 80% of the trust funds. Cities and states aren't likely to default in record numbers on public works projects. Use the remaining 20% to invest in blue chip solid stocks. Exert influence on corporate behavior as needed. The SS trust administrator would be the baddest motherfucker out there in cleaning up shit like Wells Fargo's shady ass practices.

Stay away from college athletic departments/universities. They need to clean up their own shit.

Solves the issue of how to fund long-ignored public works projects, get the fucking Feds to live within their means and everybody gets a nice little chunk at the end when they are wearing bibs and slobbering in their 80's.

Easy.

SS was designed first and foremost as a revenue scheme to fund New Deal initiatives.

Your solution is a non starter. Baked into the Cake from inception.

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

Stupid fucking idea.

Simpletons will love it.

Yeah take the income cap off the tax and keep the shitty return. What a great fucking idea. How about you let me keep my money and I invest it myself.

That way I actually have a tangible asset that I can borrow against. Make it more like a 401K and allow people to borrow against it for a first time home purchase. But then that wouldn't allow the Rats to scare monger and keep people dependent on them.
    Your solution is to give people another method to use an ATM when they can't afford it? El oh fucking El.
    edited January 2019
    2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

Stupid fucking idea.

Simpletons will love it.

Your solution is to give people another method to use an ATM when they can't afford it? El oh fucking El.
    Yeah that's what I said you pathological lying Kunt. If you have a 401K you can borrow against it for a first time home purchase and repay the loan paying back interest to yourself. Is that another method to use an ATM you can't afford you lying stupid Kunt?
    I tried to help.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,534 Standard Supporter

SS was designed first and foremost as a revenue scheme to fund New Deal initiatives.

Your solution is a non starter. Baked into the Cake from inception.

Except now it's not.

Invest the money back into things that are capital assets, not operating expenses.

Really simple financial concept. Spur construction and technology employment. Evereybody wins.

Except the money wasters in the Fed gubmint who want to support their own bureaucracies.

Your plan is to divert existing general federal revenues?

guuluk
    The whole New Deal Bond thingy Young folks are latching their wagons to doesn't happen unless we #ditchthedollar.

You really sure you wanna do that??
    edited January 2019
    SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

Stupid fucking idea.

Simpletons will love it.

Yeah that's what I said you pathological lying Kunt. If you have a 401K you can borrow against it for a first time home purchase and repay the loan paying back interest to yourself. Is that another method to use an ATM you can't afford you lying stupid Kunt?
    First. You know that's now how the funds will be used. They'll be used on TVs and cell phones and shit. Second, banks don't generally allow you to borrow for your down payment. And if you have to borrow for a down payment, you shouldn't be buying a house. Fannie and Freddie there?
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    If benefits are capped, the taxes should be as well.
    2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

Stupid fucking idea.

Simpletons will love it.

First. You know that's now how the funds will be used. They'll be used on TVs and cell phones and shit. Second, banks don't generally allow you to borrow for your down payment. And if you have to borrow for a down payment, you shouldn't be buying a house. Fannie and Freddie there?
    Hondo shoves his head up his ass and dances around for us. Most 401Ks already make allowances for these types of loans. If you're not using the money for a down payment you don't get the loan. You can take other kinds of loans out on a 401K but they don't not allow for a 10 year repayment window like a loan taken out for a down payment.

I bought my home here in the Bay Area doing exactly this. Next time just shut your ignorant mouth you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.