Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Spurs look good

Understatement of the day. Zombie Sonics need a third scorer, *cough* Harden *cough*

Comments

• Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I think they would have been fine in this series with Ibaka. They just can't defend the paint.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Spurs look like the best team right now,
    Spurs should've won the series last year, and are a better team with belleneli, and then mills and manu playing better. I just can't see the heat beating them
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Certainly helps that SA shot 58% and 53% on threes. I didn't watch the whole game but the Spurs looked like they were gliding, not seeing OKCs bigs put enough points up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah
    Like I said before Durant/Westbrook are going to have to average 65+ a game for them to win this series.

They have nothing inside and Collison actually played well. Then Brooks sat him entire end of 3rd/entire 4th while playing Durant at the 4. Durant can't play the 4, he is getting torched on defense and it will tire him out offensively.
  • Options
    Perk, Collison, Thabo and Adams combined for 9 points in 73 minutes, which is fucking terrible.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Popovich patted Brooks on the head in game 1. The Spurs put on a fucking clinic. I don't get how anyone could hate that team. The Thunder better figure out how to defend the paint or they have no chance.
  • Options

Certainly helps that SA shot 58% and 53% on threes. I didn't watch the whole game but the Spurs looked like they were gliding, not seeing OKCs bigs put enough points up.

67-32 in the paint. I don't see that changing either.

Westbrook/Durant gotta pull a Lebron/Wade against Indiana in 2012 to win this series.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    The next week should put an end to the argument of whether or not OKC should have kept Harden or Ibaka ... forget about the return that they got for Harden.

Tonight was Exhibit A of the value that Ibaka has for them.
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

The next week should put an end to the argument of whether or not OKC should have kept Harden or Ibaka ... forget about the return that they got for Harden.

Just when I thought you were turning into a solid poster you've been pressing badly as of late.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Tequilla said:

The next week should put an end to the argument of whether or not OKC should have kept Harden or Ibaka

A B U N D A N C E
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Tequilla said:

they could've kept both, good christ! Also the criticism of the harden trade has just as much to do with the return they got as the idea to trade harden itself
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

Just when I thought you were turning into a solid poster you've been pressing badly as of late.
    Pressing?

Harden was a realistic option for them last season. They would have traded him prior to this season.

It's not an option to consider him being on this team because for him to be so would mean that they were either a) going over the luxury tax by hanging onto Ibaka or b) chose Harden over Ibaka. We know a) wasn't going to happen. Does having Harden being another guy that has to have the ball in his hand and plays lazy defense (hello Russell Westbrook) do much to alter the impact of the game?

The whole point being is that the reason that Ibaka is so crucial to them is because a) it cleans up dribble penetration against lazy/gambling defense on the perimeter and b) allows KD to play on the perimeter and not have to bang down low which takes away some of his offensive efficiency.

I get the crime that is that they didn't get enough back for Harden and there's no doubt that they did that wrong. But the whole thought process behind that trade was to trade Harden for a complementary piece that does some of the elements that he brought to the table (wing outside shooting) while allowing the ball to stay with KD and Westbrook more (fits guys like Kevin Martin and Jeremy Lamb).

I get what they tried to build ... a supporting cast offensively that complements the skills of KD and Westbrook and a defense that hinges around the unique abilities of Ibaka. Losing Ibaka was huge and we saw why tonight. The whole premise of their team falls apart. Play 2 bigs that don't include Ibaka and you clog the paint and it makes it difficult for them to score as none of the other bigs are really threats from the outside. Play 1 big and go small, which makes them more dangerous offensively, makes them a terrible defensive team that is bound to get pushed around in the paint repeatedly.

The scary part is that you know that there's going to be a couple of games in this series where KD and Westbrook combine to score 60-70 points and Reggie Jackson will be a threat to score 15 points on a nightly basis. They still possess a threat to outscore the Spurs in stretches and it's a legit worry for the Spurs.

The problem though is that OKC looks helpless in keeping Duncan and Parker out of the paint. Absolutely helpless. OKC shot 46% tonight and 44% from 3 point range. Those aren't terrible numbers - definitely numbers that shouldn't be that far away from what you'd think that they'd need to win games. The Spurs shot 57.5% and over 50% from 3 ... and really there weren't any stretches where you watch and thought that they couldn't get any shot they wanted at any time. When you get shots that easily, it's hard to imagine the opposition coming up with a strategy that is going to materially change their ability to get good shots.
  • Options

Westbrook/Durant gotta pull a Lebron/Wade against Indiana in 2012 to win this series.
    The problem with that comparison is this San Antonio team would sweep that Pacers team.
  • Options

Perk, Collison, Thabo and Adams combined for 9 points in 73 minutes, which is fucking terrible.

That is terrible but the Thunder still scored over 100 points. Offense wasn't the problem. They couldn't get stops.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    With Ibaka on the bench during the postseason, OKC has scored 96 pp/48. San Antonio is scoring 107 pp/48, so Durant and West are going to have to make that up. Of course Ibaka's defense was important, but even if they could bang with SA in the post, there just aren't enough points.
  • Options

The problem with that comparison is this San Antonio team would sweep that Pacers team.
    Plus Durant isn't as good as Lebron despite what many morons seem to think.

Lebron does so much for his team and the few times OKC ask Durant to do that he has proven he can't.

I'm sure you were one of those people who currently give Durant a free pass who was on Lebron's ass for not winning a title in Cleveland even though he never had a Westbrook, Ibaka or Westbrook.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    The difference in treatment between Lebron and KD is silly. Durant has a far superior supporting cast then Lebron in Cleveland, yet gets criticized half as much for not winning. Stupid
  • Options

Lebron does so much for his team and the few times OKC ask Durant to do that he has proven he can't.

I'm sure you were one of those people who currently give Durant a free pass who was on Lebron's ass for not winning a title in Cleveland even though he never had a Westbrook, Ibaka or Westbrook.
    brian kelly approves this
  • Options
    dhdawg said: