Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Desperation is a bad look

2»

Comments

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,128 Founders Club

haie said:

alumni94 said:

Win, and they will come.

Not really. We won in 2016 and they never came like the mid 90s. Them days are never coming back.
    I only went to Stanford and USC that year, and both were sold out and loud. Secondary market tickets to USC were over $200 per.
    Yeah this narrative is dumb. I went to most games in 16-18 and half of them in 19.

We need to pack the house for a 4-8 team against ASU to prove we give a shit or something.

They did do that 40 years ago. Good for them. I hate the fairweather fans and alums anyways.
    We rarely packed the house against shit teams. Ever. 1990-1991 Was an anomaly in history.

Of you don’t have season tickets you don’t have to fuck up Labor Day weekend with a 7:30 shit game. PSU can be had for $10. I’m going to that. 1:00 tip off and I got parking in E12 for $50. Waiting get tickets but as of now good seats in the $60 range. MSU tickets are higher, but even it is a hot ticket and pay more, I’m still way ahead over all.

I also go burned on a couple bowl games. Shitty seats from the UW when I could have had much better seats for less money on the secondary market #neverforget.
    My first game at Husky Stadium was San Jose State in 1994. 69,498.

This was more than every home game of 2016 @haie excluding Stanford and USC.
  • CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,468 Swaye's Wigwam

haie said:

alumni94 said:

Win, and they will come.

Not really. We won in 2016 and they never came like the mid 90s. Them days are never coming back.
    I only went to Stanford and USC that year, and both were sold out and loud. Secondary market tickets to USC were over $200 per.
    Yeah this narrative is dumb. I went to most games in 16-18 and half of them in 19.

We need to pack the house for a 4-8 team against ASU to prove we give a shit or something.

They did do that 40 years ago. Good for them. I hate the fairweather fans and alums anyways.
    We rarely packed the house against shit teams. Ever. 1990-1991 Was an anomaly in history.

Of you don’t have season tickets you don’t have to fuck up Labor Day weekend with a 7:30 shit game. PSU can be had for $10. I’m going to that. 1:00 tip off and I got parking in E12 for $50. Waiting get tickets but as of now good seats in the $60 range. MSU tickets are higher, but even it is a hot ticket and pay more, I’m still way ahead over all.

I also go burned on a couple bowl games. Shitty seats from the UW when I could have had much better seats for less money on the secondary market #neverforget.

How many games were watchable on TV in 1994?
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,869
    haie said:

alumni94 said:

Win, and they will come.

I remember it being packed every game after Stanford. Some people didn't show up for PSU and Idaho.
    Those are your primary competition tho
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,869

haie said:

haie said:

alumni94 said:

Win, and they will come.

We went through the fiesta bowl website I thought and got stuck right in the middle of PSU fans in a pretty shitty area. That did not go over well. They don't like being made fun of for the Sandusky stuff.

Agree that just getting a handful of games you want can't be beat. I want to go to PSU and MSU but have funerals and kids baptisms and fuck staying overnight in Seattle for Kent State. Has to be a conference game against a team that is not an Arizona/Colorado/Utah type to put up with No Fun City afterwards.
    Lol. I had a pretty good run in after the Fiesta with PSU fans re: Pedo comments I was making.

When I moved out east in 2012 and my teams main office was in Philly like 3 dudes there were huge penn state dudes. I didn't have to bring it up they just immediately went on the defensive about it lol if we even hinted at a football discussion.

It's an easy shit talking subject. Keep it up
  • godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,461 Founders Club

haie said:

alumni94 said:

Win, and they will come.

B4 NIL didn't you need to pack the house against a 4-8 ASU to show rest of CFB and recruits you give a shit about it?

When kids/coaches talk about "70k fans in the stands" if it's not a marquee game or rival (which bring 10-20k of their own fans to fluff attendance) it looks and sounds silly.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,955 Swaye's Wigwam
    Canadawg said:

haie said:

alumni94 said:

Win, and they will come.

How many games were watchable on TV in 1994?
    Most, or nearly all, Husky games have been televised since I was old enough to care, so late 80s.
  • pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,220 Founders Club
    edited August 2022
    haie said:

haie said:

alumni94 said:

Win, and they will come.

We went through the fiesta bowl website I thought and got stuck right in the middle of PSU fans in a pretty shitty area. That did not go over well. They don't like being made fun of for the Sandusky stuff.

Agree that just getting a handful of games you want can't be beat. I want to go to PSU and MSU but have funerals and kids baptisms and fuck staying overnight in Seattle for Kent State. Has to be a conference game against a team that is not an Arizona/Colorado/Utah type to put up with No Fun City afterwards.
    Disagree. 3rd & Pike is lit.

• BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,254
    Every school is having difficulty selling games out. As @Canadawg rightly points out, tv choice is a huge factor. Very few games are better in-person vs watching at home when you factor in travel time, lousy start times, cost of tickets and concessions for a family, etc. Only the 2016 vs Stanfotd type of games are worth the prices of actually going to the stadium.
  • dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,370
    Back in the day, everyone at the stadium bitched about the game being televised because the tv timeouts and longer breaks slowed the game down.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,880 Founders Club
    dannarc said:

Back in the day, everyone at the stadium bitched about the game being televised because the tv timeouts and longer breaks slowed the game down.

This
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,128 Founders Club

Every school is having difficulty selling games out. As @Canadawg rightly points out, tv choice is a huge factor. Very few games are better in-person vs watching at home when you factor in travel time, lousy start times, cost of tickets and concessions for a family, etc. Only the 2016 vs Stanfotd type of games are worth the prices of actually going to the stadium.

It wasn't always that way. In person used to be multiples better than TV. It's devolved into NFL lite. DJ Superslam, t shirt cannon, dumb contests, people buried in their phones, contrived "traditions", etc.
    A big part of it for me is piping in rap music and de-emphasizing the marching band. In 1981, my dad moved our seats from near the tunnel to the south upper deck at about the 5-yard line. The student section and band were at the 50-yard line across from us. During timeouts, the band would start playing Tequila and the student section would jump up and start going nuts. I loved watching that kind of thing. There was an energy.
    It’s a god damned disgrace.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,254

It wasn't always that way. In person used to be multiples better than TV. It's devolved into NFL lite. DJ Superslam, t shirt cannon, dumb contests, people buried in their phones, contrived "traditions", etc.
    Yeah, totally agree with that. Husky Stadium is what Seahawks Stadium wishes it was at this point. It became a pro venue after the remodel with the suites, non-stop music blaring, massive video boards everywhere. I don't think the band even plays BDTW after first downs anymore from what I can remember.
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,576 Swaye's Wigwam

Multiple times better than your 19-inch family TV with a 480i signal beaming in over the rabbit ears? Nearby fridge chock full o' amazing beer such as Budweiser, Miller, and Coors Lite? Having to slow down on I-5 en route to the stadium a whopping 10 mph for a whole mile due to the unbearable traffic?

Live football was amazing when the alternative was pushing a hoop down the street with a stick.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,620 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited August 2022

Yeah, totally agree with that. Husky Stadium is what Seahawks Stadium wishes it was at this point. It became a pro venue after the remodel with the suites, non-stop music blaring, massive video boards everywhere. I don't think the band even plays BDTW after first downs anymore from what I can remember.
    Which is retarded as fuck because if I have to hear Oregon and SC's shit over and over and over and over at a game they should have to listen to our shit.
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 15,499 Swaye's Wigwam

A big part of it for me is piping in rap music and de-emphasizing the marching band. In 1981, my dad moved our seats from near the tunnel to the south upper deck at about the 5-yard line. The student section and band were at the 50-yard line across from us. During timeouts, the band would start playing Tequila and the student section would jump up and start going nuts. I loved watching that kind of thing. There was an energy.
    Moving the student section was short term revenue gain long term fan engagement loss. Even my shitty Owen season experience was at least memorable and fun being down at the 50 yd line talking shit.

Imagine being a student and having any interest in sitting in an endzone for a game you were already only marginally interested in. Those kids won't be lifelong fans.

Plus all of the god awful things it did to the chants and game energy. The students were a huge part of the energy that kept the game going during breaks. Go Huskies is never getting fixed.
  • HuskyJWHuskyJW Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,366 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited August 2022

Blue car every time