Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Top 5 Dog Breeds I would NOT Own As A Veterinarian

2»

Comments

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,963
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

I’ve had 3 dogs over the last 8 years.

1st was an AKC papered Doberman. My favorite breed since I was a kid and first watched Magnum PI. Diagnosed with blood cancer at 2 1/2 and we put him down a little shy of 3 1/2.

Our next dog was the Dobie’s companion dog, a pit-hound mix we got through the shelter on Kauai. Flew her to Seattle sight unseen when she about 3. We think she’s about 11 and that little fucker is still running strong. We were told she had a couple litters and was bred for hunting dogs but she hates loud noises so whoever had her probably ditched her on the side of a road.

Got dog #3 after the cancer diagnosis. He’s a bull terrier- whippet mix and he said that @YellowSnow guy for his disparaging comments. Also from Kauai but he was found on the side of a road at about 2 weeks with his sister. Timing worked out as we saw a picture of him and were going to Kauai giving us a chance to meet him. He’s a little high strung but we don’t know if that’s just him or Mrs Nacho projecting it on him. Maybe both. He’s great as long as other dogs don’t get too close to him and he’s got 11 confirmed kills and 2 unconfirmed kills on field mice, chipmunks, squirrels and a bird. He also doesn’t have the football shaped head.

When we get another dog, I’m torn between another Dobie and a pit mutt from the shelter. I don’t need a tough guy dog but I also know pits make up at least half the dogs at the local shelter.

My one thought on dogs is always this. There are no bad dogs, just bad owners.

I left your Dawg a message @CFetters_Nacho_Lover
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Pit bulls and the like…trash dogs owned by trash people.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,629
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I’ve had 3 dogs over the last 8 years.

1st was an AKC papered Doberman. My favorite breed since I was a kid and first watched Magnum PI. Diagnosed with blood cancer at 2 1/2 and we put him down a little shy of 3 1/2.

Our next dog was the Dobie’s companion dog, a pit-hound mix we got through the shelter on Kauai. Flew her to Seattle sight unseen when she about 3. We think she’s about 11 and that little fucker is still running strong. We were told she had a couple litters and was bred for hunting dogs but she hates loud noises so whoever had her probably ditched her on the side of a road.

Got dog #3 after the cancer diagnosis. He’s a bull terrier- whippet mix and he said that @YellowSnow guy for his disparaging comments. Also from Kauai but he was found on the side of a road at about 2 weeks with his sister. Timing worked out as we saw a picture of him and were going to Kauai giving us a chance to meet him. He’s a little high strung but we don’t know if that’s just him or Mrs Nacho projecting it on him. Maybe both. He’s great as long as other dogs don’t get too close to him and he’s got 11 confirmed kills and 2 unconfirmed kills on field mice, chipmunks, squirrels and a bird. He also doesn’t have the football shaped head.

When we get another dog, I’m torn between another Dobie and a pit mutt from the shelter. I don’t need a tough guy dog but I also know pits make up at least half the dogs at the local shelter.

My one thought on dogs is always this. There are no bad dogs, just bad owners.

I admire your efforts to rescue some of the millions of pit mixes at the shelters.

A friend of my GF had a horrific end to her marriage a few years ago and had no place for her female pit. She was supposedly a good dog so we offered to take her for a few weeks while arrangements were found.

It didn't work out. She was a 75lb bowling ball with jaws and teeth and absolutely no brains. She wanted to kill our cats and other two dogs and was extremely hard to stop even on a leash. Unreal power in that little beast. Some friends with a male pit puppy considered taking her and tried to introduce them through our yard fence. The little freak show nearly tore through chain link fence to tear into that puppy.

The owners wouldn't/couldn't come get her. The local rescue places and shelters were all full of pits. What's that? She showed aggression? Sorry can't take any that show aggression to other animals. I called the police. Guess what they said? "You're probably going ro have to put that dog down sir. Do you own a firearm?

That's how it ended. No place to put her. No way my animals were going to survive her. No way I was keeping her.

I won't say she was a bad dog. I mean, she was, but maybe it could've been avoided. She was raised by a loving family with teenage girls who adored her. They seemed like good owners until the end.

Truth is that dog had tendencies like a lot of other dogs. The difference was that she was too simple and stupid to ever get it trained out. The other problem is that when a normal dog shows aggression to a person, cat or other dog, the situation is usually easy and becomes a teaching moment. Not with a dog like this. The likelihood of severe consequences grows exponentially.