Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Jake Locker TD run against Arizona

Comments

• AlexisAlexis Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,102 Swaye's Wigwam

Lockner was awesome. Fuck the haters.

He would have beat USC in 2016.
    I wonder what he would have done on those Browning led teams. Browning was a pain in the ass but he was a winner. But Lockner had the multiple threat that makes it like you have twelve players on offense
    Was there ever a game where you went "Without Browning we lose that game".?
    Can’t say there is one game where I said that
    Closest I can think of was Utah 2017, but that was more "Without Whittingham we lose that game"

https://youtu.be/4QeIe0fUqhM?t=256
    That was Sark/Holtesque for shitty coaching at the end. Just epic choke.
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,043 Standard Supporter

Locker was the ultimate cock tease

Didn't FINISH

He was a great talent but avg qb. Would have looked great for chip Kelly though.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,011 Founders Club
    edited August 2022

Didn't FINISH

He was a great talent but avg qb. Would have looked great for chip Kelly though.
    The oft maligned Rick would have used him like Tui. Which would have been great
    We could have won a Natty with a 50/50 hybrid of Rick and Pete.
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,711 Swaye's Wigwam
    Alexis said:

I wonder what he would have done on those Browning led teams. Browning was a pain in the ass but he was a winner. But Lockner had the multiple threat that makes it like you have twelve players on offense
    Can’t say there is one game where I said that
    Closest I can think of was Utah 2017, but that was more "Without Whittingham we lose that game"

https://youtu.be/4QeIe0fUqhM?t=256
    That was Sark/Holtesque for shitty coaching at the end. Just epic choke.
    @89ute what are your thoughts on this game?
  • WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,280 Swaye's Wigwam

Didn't FINISH

A Rick type taking over in 2018 or 19 when Pete burned out would have been ideal. Guy was a disaster long-term but the perfect guy to take over a team that was talented and disciplined but who had been worn out a bit by the previous staffs.
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,711 Swaye's Wigwam

Didn't FINISH

A Rick type taking over in 2018 or 19 when Pete burned out would have been ideal. Guy was a disaster long-term but the perfect guy to take over a team that was talented and disciplined but who had been worn out a bit by the previous staffs.
    Or just Pete coaching Sunday through Friday and Rick on Saturdays.

I think Pete still liked coaching in practice and gameplanning. He never looked happy on gameday. I don't think we have a gif of him happy during a game.
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,528 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited August 2022

Yes. Many. So many that this is a silly statement. Off the top of my head, they beat Cal if our boy Hainer doesn't step in. Browning was the perfect quarterback to ball-protect and hold on to a boring win instead of a what-the-fuck loss.

If there's one way in which I part ways with the collective wisdom of this bored (TDS/BDS/TTTT aside), it's the prioritizing of looking the part and big-dick/gunslinging over actual wins and losses and on-field effectiveness on a college football field. Thinking BBK was a liability, or thinking he was until his senior year, is very on-brand for Hardcore Husky and yet completely wrong. Having a guy who could cover as much field as he did and make EVERY tackle in his gap allowed the rest of the defense to take fewer risks, and this more than made up for a couple embarrassing incidents per game of him getting "dragged." Sure, you'd like to have a 250 lb. monster who's just as fast and smart, but my daughter wants a pony, too.

It's the same with Browning. The dude was a winner, but he wasn't a 6'5" Adonis, didn't risk the ball for the sake of a big play, didn't tuck it and run for 50 yards, and expressed disappointment when his kicker misses a chip shot on a day when nothing's going right, so he fucking sucks. The most important things a quarterback can do are get the offense into the right play and throw an accurate ball, and he's the best at that at UW since I've been old enough to remember. He took some embarrassing sacks like just about any other quarterback, put a lid on the offense with his arm strength, and largely avoided the middle of the field to protect the ball. Not perfect, but consider the alternative: Over his starting career, the Huskies lose at least a half dozen more games with anyone else on the roster starting. Easily.

So, yeah, if Trevor Lawrence or Joe Burrow are sitting on the bench, there's not a single game that I felt they'd lose without Jake Browning. With Cyler Myles, Troy Williams, Jeff Lindquist, and a young Jake Haener? Plenty. Myles Gaskin is rightfully a Hardcore Husky hero, and Gaskin apparently LOVED this guy. He very often called the right shots to put Gaskin in a position to succeed. There are things going on on the field that you don't see from the stands or your couch.
  • ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,584

Yes. Many. So many that this is a silly statement. Off the top of my head, they beat Cal if our boy Hainer doesn't step in. Browning was the perfect quarterback to ball-protect and hold on to a boring win instead of a what-the-fuck loss.

If there's one way in which I part ways with the collective wisdom of this bored (TDS/BDS/TTTT aside), it's the prioritizing of looking the part and big-dick/gunslinging over actual wins and losses and on-field effectiveness on a college football field. Thinking BBK was a liability, or thinking he was until his senior year, is very on-brand for Hardcore Husky and yet completely wrong. Having a guy who could cover as much field as he did and make EVERY tackle in his gap allowed the rest of the defense to take fewer risks, and this more than made up for a couple embarrassing incidents per game of him getting "dragged." Sure, you'd like to have a 250 lb. monster who's just as fast and smart, but my daughter wants a pony, too.

It's the same with Browning. The dude was a winner, but he wasn't a 6'5" Adonis, didn't risk the ball for the sake of a big play, didn't tuck it and run for 50 yards, and expressed disappointment when his kicker misses a chip shot on a day when nothing's going right, so he fucking sucks. The most important things a quarterback can do are get the offense into the right play and throw an accurate ball, and he's the best at that at UW since I've been old enough to remember. He took some embarrassing sacks like just about any other quarterback, put a lid on the offense with his arm strength, and largely avoided the middle of the field to protect the ball. Not perfect, but consider the alternative: Over his starting career, the Huskies lose at least a half dozen more games with anyone else on the roster starting. Easily.

So, yeah, if Trevor Lawrence or Joe Burrow are sitting on the bench, there's not a single game that I felt they'd lose without Jake Browning. With Cyler Myles, Troy Williams, Jeff Lindquist, and a young Jake Haener? Plenty. Myles Gaskin is rightfully a Hardcore Husky hero, and Gaskin apparently LOVED this guy. He very often called the right shots to put Gaskin in a position to succeed. There are things going on on the field that you don't see from the stands or your couch.
    If only Jake browning had been available at cal

I get what you're saying. We're a little too hard on ol Cobra Jack Browning too much sometimes. He had some tricks in the ol back like being a little more mobile than people thought/remember and he had a few games where he correctly wasn't throwing the ball around when they could win the game on the ground.

I don't know about that Cal game though. He threw an int where he was just trying to throw the ball way but was such a shithead it got intercepted and it was the second time he did that that season.
    Also, Browning threw another pick while in the red zone after he came back in that got called an incompletion while being a four-year starter yet a guy a defense would still all out blitz on any third down.

Also, fuck you for getting me to rewatch the highlights of that game.
  • TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,823 Swaye's Wigwam
    Also, just because teammates "love this guy" it doesn't make him great. I got into an argument (true story) with an older and fatter Kenny Easley when I suggested that the Hawks took too long to bench Krieg back in the day. Yeah, stupid move on my part. The love was deep for ol' Mudbone, but he sucked at the time and his teammates -- even many years later -- didn't want to hear any criticism about their boy.

It's common. In fact, I think if you secretly polled all the current players on UW, they'd say Dylan Morris should be the QB. They love him.

That said, Browning did some great things. But he had four years so he should have done some great things.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,011 Founders Club

Didn't FINISH

We need to quit fucking with a proven formula.
  • MelloDawgMelloDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,535 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited August 2022

Without a QB playing and only fielding 10 men, we’d have lost all the games for which he was here. HTH.
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,528 Swaye's Wigwam
    I didn't say he was great. But you'd think he was the worst quarterback to ever step on the field if all you read was Hardcore Husky, and that's not even remotely true. He was a good college quarterback. Certainly the best at Washington in a long-ass time.

I didn't say he was great. But you'd think he was the worst quarterback to ever step on the field if all you read was Hardcore Husky, and that's not even remotely true. He was a good college quarterback. Certainly the best at Washington in a long-ass time.

Let's debate - Cobra Jack Browning Top 5 Husky QB all-time? I have a hard time saying yes or no.
  • dtddtd Member Posts: 4,511 Standard Supporter
    He was just awesome at tims.
  • dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,364
    Top 5? LOL

Top 15? Suregif.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,465 Founders Club

Didn't FINISH

Seriously, we might have been in the running for a Rose Bowl berth in 2010