Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Poker Guysm - Greatest Fold of All-Tim ?

2»

Comments

• TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    edited August 2022
    pawz said:

Tequilla said:

pawz said:

Tequilla said:

pawz said:

14 players left in this year's WSOP Main Event - $10M up top.

AQ finds a CORRECT fold on a KQ2Q2 board. Just 6 hand combinations beat him (3 of KK, and 3 of KQ), but still ....

https://www.pokernews.com/news/2022/07/wsop-main-event-great-fold-41660.htm

What’s the golden fucking rule? Leave yourself an out

Assuming the video was straight forward on it … the snap all-in probably gives enough of a reason to exercise caution

The KK is obviously the concern but losing to KQ also enters into the play despite all the blockers to it … I wouldn’t even consider pocket ducks

It’s obviously a bit polarized but the snap call and snap all in after hitting trips just smells way too fishy
    Let's say the KK player has a naked Q instead. How is his line any different on the turn and river? Are we? expecting him to check-back the river?

IMO yes it’s a different line but you and I play probably a little different in those spots

Let’s say I’m pushing with the naked Q I’m getting 3 outcomes

1) Opponent folds Kx or whatever bluff they were running … you’re winning a showdown there anyway with a call and those hands are never calling away their stacks

2) You’re running into KK, 22, or KQ and you’re getting snap called and heading to the payout window … if you call your stack away and run into the ultimate cooler then so what

3) The interesting scenario here with the over the top with a chopped Q hand is that if that’s your read then you’re calling off to chop

My big consideration at that point is do I have enough chips behind with a fold to rebuild and move forward … if I do I tip my cap if you pushed me off my hand. Just don’t see the risk/reward in my favor to call it off there
    The part being missed here is if you DON'T call with Qx/2x enough, you are giving up piles of equity.

There are definitely enough AA, AJ, AT, JT combos to justify a call w a naked 2.

This is the part equity exposure vs game theory that make it an insanely difficult fold.

*with regards to OP, 22 is a 7th, winning hand-combo available
    You’re absolutely right on the equity standpoint

There’s also the difference between cash game vs a tournament and in particular the main

Let’s say you and I are playing a far smaller version of the DNegs vs Polk battle and instead of $40k buy-ins we are playing for $40 or $400 or whatever …

I don’t think either of us are folding in that spot EVER for all the reasons that you mentioned … when we get coolered we reload with a desire to go punch the other in the face

But that deep in the main, the wrong decision there takes away the chance at $8-10M (or whatever it was this year) and sends you out the door with a low 6 figure cash (nothing to sneeze about) …

Folding there (particularly if you have chips still to work with) still gives you a chance to go for the top prize and/or buy you time for some pay jumps

To me this is a great example of how decision making can really change materially between cash and tournament play

Part of the fun in a tournament is biding your time waiting for a person to take the wrong line and then pouncing

I fully realize that we tend to play different styles (at least back when I used to play regularly) … I think you know how I used to play well enough to know that I’d mix in a shove with a JT on that board

I miss the days of crushing single table low stakes SNGs
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    pawz said:

Tequilla said:

pawz said:

Tequilla said:

pawz said:

14 players left in this year's WSOP Main Event - $10M up top.

AQ finds a CORRECT fold on a KQ2Q2 board. Just 6 hand combinations beat him (3 of KK, and 3 of KQ), but still ....

https://www.pokernews.com/news/2022/07/wsop-main-event-great-fold-41660.htm

What’s the golden fucking rule? Leave yourself an out

Assuming the video was straight forward on it … the snap all-in probably gives enough of a reason to exercise caution

The KK is obviously the concern but losing to KQ also enters into the play despite all the blockers to it … I wouldn’t even consider pocket ducks

It’s obviously a bit polarized but the snap call and snap all in after hitting trips just smells way too fishy
    Let's say the KK player has a naked Q instead. How is his line any different on the turn and river? Are we? expecting him to check-back the river?

IMO yes it’s a different line but you and I play probably a little different in those spots

Let’s say I’m pushing with the naked Q I’m getting 3 outcomes

1) Opponent folds Kx or whatever bluff they were running … you’re winning a showdown there anyway with a call and those hands are never calling away their stacks

2) You’re running into KK, 22, or KQ and you’re getting snap called and heading to the payout window … if you call your stack away and run into the ultimate cooler then so what

3) The interesting scenario here with the over the top with a chopped Q hand is that if that’s your read then you’re calling off to chop

My big consideration at that point is do I have enough chips behind with a fold to rebuild and move forward … if I do I tip my cap if you pushed me off my hand. Just don’t see the risk/reward in my favor to call it off there
    I don’t understand what is happening.
    We?re having a home gayme Saturday. You should come play cards.

I moved. Too far.