Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Which realignment scenario is better for UW?

Comments

• MikeSeaverMikeSeaver Member Posts: 4,576

The best scenario is you somehow cobble together a competitive 3rd conference from scraps of ACC and Big12, which lets WA be the top school in the region for keeping recruits a) playing most games nearby to their parents b) at a legit high level.

All things being equal you (Oregon and UW) go to the BIG. But don’t go as a little bitch which is what the BIG are banking on.

I think a new Big 12 would be a rad league and if you win it you’re in the playoffs. Oregon, UW, Baylor, Okie St, Tech, Utah, and you still have a footprint in Texas for teen boys. The only Pac teams in playoffs talk have been UO, UW and Utah. Not SC. Baylor and Okie State have both been in the playoff conversation. That is not a complete wasters league.

Otherwise go to the BIG underfunded and be middling teams asking tOSU and SC for another piece of bread.

The SEC has already won the war. The BIG is massively overrated right now.
    The big 10 and sec are going to form their own governing organization and playoffs most likely. I don’t see them seeking to include all the ugly siblings that weren’t picked. Unless you’re in that conference you’re not invited. We better get ready to be the nevadas and central floridas of the world.

We’re not there yet but with Jen’s leadership it’s not out of the question that we could someday dominate division II.
    They can have their own playoff all they want but if you have a Baylor, UO or UW undefeated it’ll cause trouble.

Going to the BIG and getting paid like Rutgers is a losing proposition. Fuck that. You’ll never earn that back. You’ll be underwater forever and they’ll never throw you a a rope.

• whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,591 Standard Supporter
    46XiJCAB said:

Well you can sit around waiting for the B1G invite or get proactive and merge with the B12. Call it the BigPac, UO, UW, AZ, ASU, CU, Utah, Cal, WSU or OSU coin flip. Gives you 16 teams, East/West divisions with top 2 teams record wise meeting in Conference Championship. The pecking order football wise would be SEC, B1G, BigPac, ACC.

The best scenario for us (assuming B1G doesn’t happen which I assume it isnt) is a combined dissolution of the B12 and P10 where the premier schools form a new conference from the remnants. Probably 16 teams since the geography is so vast and WSU/OSU can be told to take a hike with their high school stadiums.

The Big 12 has 4 more teams coming after OU/UT leave and we want no part of that. Best 8 from the pac and Big 12.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    whlinder said:

46XiJCAB said:

Well you can sit around waiting for the B1G invite or get proactive and merge with the B12. Call it the BigPac, UO, UW, AZ, ASU, CU, Utah, Cal, WSU or OSU coin flip. Gives you 16 teams, East/West divisions with top 2 teams record wise meeting in Conference Championship. The pecking order football wise would be SEC, B1G, BigPac, ACC.

The best scenario for us (assuming B1G doesn’t happen which I assume it isnt) is a combined dissolution of the B12 and P10 where the premier schools form a new conference from the remnants. Probably 16 teams since the geography is so vast and WSU/OSU can be told to take a hike with their high school stadiums.

The Big 12 has 4 more teams coming after OU/UT leave and we want no part of that. Best 8 from the pac and Big 12.
    P12 schools don’t hold the cards on this one though

They could collectively try to play hard ball to kick out a couple of schools … but doubt that happens
  • rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,161
    Didn’t read any of the posts but “whichever one gets us the most money.”

Can’t believe I’m saying this but us? getting more money helps all the non rev generating sports.

Everyone wins.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,156

Didn’t read any of the posts but “whichever one gets us the most money.”

Can’t believe I’m saying this but us? getting more money helps all the non rev generating sports.

Everyone wins.

That was where I started out on this in the first place when it was announced. Since then I've skewed more towards UW having a much lower ceiling if it goes to the B1G versus some other reconstituted thing. If you can get 80% of the revenue that the B1G would bring, but also be top dawg of the rebuilt P12/Big12/whatever it's called and actually win 10+ a year I think that could be the best of both worlds.

Plus, forget the non-revenue sports.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,156
    whlinder said:

Tequilla said:

whlinder said:

46XiJCAB said:

They could collectively try to play hard ball to kick out a couple of schools … but doubt that happens
    The cards we have are that the top remaining P12 brands are more valuable than any individual B12 brand.
    I agree and am thinking that if UW and the Ducks can stay aligned they might actually be able to make some medium dick things happen that favor them on their terms.
    whlinder said:

Tequilla said:

whlinder said:

46XiJCAB said:

The cards we have are that the top remaining P12 brands are more valuable than any individual B12 brand.
    True … which guarantees no action without allowing us the chance to say yes

But we don’t get to string along indefinitely either
  • dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,358
    I can't wait to lose to the B12 rendition of Cal
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,506 Swaye's Wigwam

whlinder said:

Tequilla said:

whlinder said:

46XiJCAB said:

I agree and am thinking that if UW and the Ducks can stay aligned they might actually be able to make some medium dick things happen that favor them on their terms.
    If Knight is involved than Oregon is aiming to fuck us and 46X and tru will fight over who gets to suck his necromancer balls.
    haie said:

whlinder said:

Tequilla said:

whlinder said:

46XiJCAB said:

If Knight is involved than Oregon is aiming to fuck us and 46X and tru will fight over who gets to suck his necromancer balls.
    Why wouldn’t Oregon do what’s best for them?

Wouldn’t it be nice if Washington acted like they would do whatever it takes in anything?
    Tequilla said:

haie said:

whlinder said:

Tequilla said:

whlinder said:

46XiJCAB said:

Wouldn’t it be nice if Washington acted like they would do whatever it takes in anything?
    I don't understand the point of typing letters on a phone and hitting a 'Post Comment' with this one.
    haie said:

Tequilla said:

haie said:

whlinder said:

Tequilla said:

whlinder said:

46XiJCAB said:

I don't understand the point of typing letters on a phone and hitting a 'Post Comment' with this one.
    It’s briefer to type FUCK OFF
  • CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,354 Swaye's Wigwam
    USC and An Ohio State will be hard to overcome consistently but anyone shriveling because of Michigan and the corn or wheat teams should take a perspective walk
  • PurpleReignPurpleReign Member Posts: 5,468
    Join the B1G, if no B1G then join the ACC as long as ND, Clem, FSU/Miami stay in it. Fuck the Big 12, i could not care less about that conference.
  • LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,781

Join the B1G, if no B1G then join the ACC as long as ND, Clem, FSU/Miami stay in it. Fuck the Big 12, i could not care less about that conference.

I agree. Somewhere higher on your list should be just to quit.
  • AlexisAlexis Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,093 Swaye's Wigwam
    At a minimum, add San Diego St. (brand new stadium) and UNLV and merge with the Big 12 and call it the Big 24 Pac. Shitty programs but good locations to offset the shitty locations of the Big 12. Make Gonzaga a good offer to join for hoops and while your football would be mediocre (like it isn't already) the hoops would be pretty damn good.

At best, blow up the NCAA. Tell them you are out. Get the best remaining 48 teams that aren't in the Big 10 or SEC and create a separate league. Players are already pros. Just go all out. six 8 team conferences. Play the 7 games in your conference and then 5 other teams from the other ones. No shitty non conference games with Montana and Kent State. Make the SEC do that. An NFL type schedule. Every game means something. Then the top 16 teams enter a playoff. Or if you want to make it 3 teams per conference take 18 teams and have 2 play in games.

Bowl games are done.

Go back to basically the Pac 8, the Big 8, the SWC, the Mountain West, ACC and Big East with some tweaks. Sure, it's basically Division 2 football, but if you do it before they leave, it's division 2 football with UW, Oregon, TCU, Florida State, Miami, ASU, etc. The Big 10/SEC can have their playoff game with the two conferences, and all the non conference games with each other and with NAIA teams. We'll be over here having our 16 team playoff. We've (?) proven that we can't compete with those leagues head to head, so flank them. Wouldn't be long before teams like Nebraska realize that getting the shit kicked out of them while having to travel 1500 miles for a short league road trip for money isn't really that appealing and they would be begging to rejoin the Big 8.
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,042 Standard Supporter
    Alexis said:

At a minimum, add San Diego St. (brand new stadium) and UNLV and merge with the Big 12 and call it the Big 24 Pac. Shitty programs but good locations to offset the shitty locations of the Big 12. Make Gonzaga a good offer to join for hoops and while your football would be mediocre (like it isn't already) the hoops would be pretty damn good.

At best, blow up the NCAA. Tell them you are out. Get the best remaining 48 teams that aren't in the Big 10 or SEC and create a separate league. Players are already pros. Just go all out. six 8 team conferences. Play the 7 games in your conference and then 5 other teams from the other ones. No shitty non conference games with Montana and Kent State. Make the SEC do that. An NFL type schedule. Every game means something. Then the top 16 teams enter a playoff. Or if you want to make it 3 teams per conference take 18 teams and have 2 play in games.

Bowl games are done.

Go back to basically the Pac 8, the Big 8, the SWC, the Mountain West, ACC and Big East with some tweaks. Sure, it's basically Division 2 football, but if you do it before they leave, it's division 2 football with UW, Oregon, TCU, Florida State, Miami, ASU, etc. The Big 10/SEC can have their playoff game with the two conferences, and all the non conference games with each other and with NAIA teams. We'll be over here having our 16 team playoff. We've (?) proven that we can't compete with those leagues head to head, so flank them. Wouldn't be long before teams like Nebraska realize that getting the shit kicked out of them while having to travel 1500 miles for a short league road trip for money isn't really that appealing and they would be begging to rejoin the Big 8.

Interesting thought. I get that these schools want the money, but wtf are Indiana, Nebraska, and the the vanderbilts of the world going to do long term when their fan base is sick of winning 2-6 games every year?
    edited July 2022

UO/UW/Climp/Miami/NC will always make this tenuous but it looks like they're trying to get the ACC and ACC network to consume the Pac 12 into a real partnership to kill the Big 12 atm.

It's pretty much Kilvkfevs's only play at this point to save the conference and even then I can't see NC and Miami really staying. But at least we'd get better matchups than UW Texas Tech.

Or even worse UW TCU.
  • BroadcastingDawgBroadcastingDawg Member Posts: 1,354
    Something that I haven't seen talked about much:

What if they just lose Oregon, USC, UCLA and add like a Boise St or BYU to the mix, making it the P10 again?

Clemson has made a living in football praying off the shitty ACC. Same can be said for Houston, Cinci, Boise, UCF, Memphis, etc... Why can't UW do the same?

Beat up on a shitty P10, get a high seed on the coming changes to the playoff, see where it goes.